Why is self-improvement/bodybuilding not seen as "legit"..

conkertheking

Awards
  • Established
...in terms of the use of drugs?

Was reading about SARMS the other day and the article on Wiki had a bunch of links to different research into SARMs. What kept coming up was the idea that unless these things are used tor treating "serious" medical issues (actual illness), they don't have a "legitimate" use. This is basically the same reason things like steroids and prohormones have been banned, and why it's difficult to get a prescription for something to treat gyno unless you manage to find an endo who knows their **** (in fairness, becoming more widespread now which is great).

But why should this be the case? Why is it that androgenic substances should only be considered "legitimate" if you're well below the normal level of muscularity for instance? Why should we all be aiming to be average, rather than considering it a "legitimate" goal to be the best you can be? I find it a little odd that you can have a low quality of life due to confidence issues for instance, but not be considered a "legitimate" clinical subject unless you're massively below average.

I'm not talking here about competitive people by the way, I understand that there are ethical issues and different viewpoints with regard to what supplements should and shouldn't be allowed in competitions and sports. What I'm asking about is for the average, non-competitive bodybuilder whose only motivation for bodybuilding is to be fitter, stronger, healthier, sexier, more confident - whatever - why is this not considered a legitimate medical goal?
Given how widespread massively unhealthy lifestyles have become, I find it quite bizarre that governments will go so far to criminalize those who are trying their best to optimize their health and fitness beyond the "average" baseline.