What are the most effective meds to lower estradiol?

mcr

Awards
Long story short, I take finasteride and it raises my estradiol. I took a medication called Lyrica which further raised estradiol so I stopped it.

The reason I want to lower it is that I noticed that I get bloated and have facial swelling/sagging when it is elevated. My endocrinologist ordered several blood tests over the past 2 years so we know it's definitely the finasteride doing it.

I had Tamoxifen and Arimidex prescribed, they didn't help.

Just trying to do a little research before doctor visit.

Is there anything that can lower E2?

bad rad

bad rad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't respond well to Arimidex but hyper responded to Letrozole. Is your endo willing to try other AI?

mcr

Awards
I don't respond well to Arimidex but hyper responded to Letrozole. Is your endo willing to try other AI?
Hey I'm very interested in details. So you took Arimidex and your E2 remained high, then you took Letro and it went down? Any side effects from Letro? Did you get bloodwork to confirm? How much did it lower it? Any details are helpful, thank you.

Formestane
Do you have firsthand experience? Any sides? Is it better than Letro?

what do you take finasteride for? aromasin works well for bloat. i'd try it before letro. the finasteride is blocking the production of dht which antagonizes estrogen. i thought it was mostly tissue specific but idk.
Finasteride for hairloss, don't judge please.

Isn't aromasin kinda the same as Arimidex? Any reason it should work better?

Mystere3

Awards
Letro is the "best" AI but also the harshest; it's not really advised long term unless you're running high dose injectable cycles.

Formeron may work better than some others.

mcr

Awards
Letro is the "best" AI but also the harshest; it's not really advised long term unless you're running high dose injectable cycles.

Formeron may work better than some others.
letrozole and anastrazole are non steroidal reversible aromatase inhibitors.
aromasin and formestane are steroidal, irreversible aromatase inhibitors with the main difference between the two, being oral bioavailability.
So which one can I take long-term? Is letro safe long-term? Also, can it reverse a little gynecomastia?

Mystere3

Awards
It can reverse gyno but you should stop it once it's gone. Formestane can be used longer term.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Why would a dr prescribe nolva and adex? Seems counter productive. Look for letro and ralox for gyno reversal. Raloxifene is like 10x stronger than nolva at blocking breast tissue e2

bad rad

bad rad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
.625mgs weekly controls my E2 levels very well, I want to say in the 20's. I'm on TRT so that may be a difference for you.

mcr

Awards
Thanks guys this is very helpful. How can I find an endo who is very knowledgeable about treating hormone issues in young people or steroid users? I never did steroids or intend to but it would be helpful to find a doc who deals with these issues.

The current endo I deal with treats mostly diabetics and I feel that giving me tamoxifen wasn't the best course of action since I still have gyno and high E2 and we've done like 10 blood tests.

Mystere3

Awards
Or you could just get the surgery and be done with it.

smt1

Awards
Letrozole is by far the most effective AI, as in it can reduce serum E2 levels by 97-99%.

Shaun235

Banned
Awards
Why would a dr prescribe nolva and adex? Seems counter productive. Look for letro and ralox for gyno reversal. Raloxifene is like 10x stronger than nolva at blocking breast tissue e2
Good plan here, Letro seems to be working for me now. I'm using Nolva only because I had it on hand, but ralox and letro seem like the best option besides surgery.

mcr

Awards
Can I take a tiny dose of letro on a long-term basis, if it's the only thing that works for me? Any side effects I should look out for?

I think I can tell when my E2 is high because I get bloated, my face looks puffy/saggy, and my eyelids get discolored a bit. Are these symptoms consistent with high E2?

Mystere3

Awards
You should just get it checked rather than guessing. There are lots of things that could cause those symptoms.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Long story short, I take finasteride and it raises my estradiol. I took a medication called Lyrica which further raised estradiol so I stopped it.

The reason I want to lower it is that I noticed that I get bloated and have facial swelling/sagging when it is elevated. My endocrinologist ordered several blood tests over the past 2 years so we know it's definitely the finasteride doing it.

I had Tamoxifen and Arimidex prescribed, they didn't help.

Just trying to do a little research before doctor visit.

Is there anything that can lower E2?
Chrysin rectal administration

mcr

Awards
You should just get it checked rather than guessing. There are lots of things that could cause those symptoms.
I already got 9 or 10 blood tests. So far we know that fin is causing high E2. I have another blood test in 2 weeks, and I know my E2 will still be high because tamox doesn't work it seems.

This is why I'm trying to figure out:

1. Am I correct with the symptoms of E2?
2. If letro works and I decide to take it long term, what could happen?

Mystere3

Awards
Tamoxifen doesn't lower E2. It just reduces its effects.

Letro will f up your joints if you take it long term.

mcr

Awards
Tamoxifen doesn't lower E2. It just reduces its effects.
I see thank you. This is exactly the answer I needed. So the doc was playing it safe and trying to reduce side effect like gyno, which didn't even work. This means that after this blood test I should ask him for something that lowers E2, like letro, right?

Mystere3

Awards
Well arimidex should reduce E2; you might want to try aromasin first before you hop to letro.

mcr

Awards
Well arimidex should reduce E2; you might want to try aromasin first before you hop to letro.
I tried it, E2 remained elevated. Why do you recommend aromasin before letro? Is it less harsh/dangerous?

I am thinking about just asking the doctor for Letro so I can remove the gyno, then once it's gone switch to something else long-term. Or maybe just stay on a low dose letro long-term, if possible.