Interesting research I stumbled upon

danielc

Awards
"Prohormone supplement 3b-hydroxy-5a-androst-1-en-17-one enhances resistance training gains but impairs user health.
Purpose: Prohormone supplements(PS) are recognized not to impart anabolic or ergogenic effects in men, but the research supporting these conclusions is dated. The Anabolic Steroid Control Act was amended in 2004; the viability of PS have not been evaluated since that time. Methods:17 resistance-trained males(23±1yrs; 13.1±1.5% body fat) were randomly assigned to receive either 330mg/d 3b-hydroxy-5a-androst-1-en-17-one(PROHORMONE; n=9) or sugar(PLACEBO; n=8) p.o. and complete a 4 week(16 session) structured resistance-training program. Body composition, muscular strength, circulating lipids, and markers of liver and kidney dysfunction were assessed at study onset and termination. Results:pROHORMONE increased lean body mass by 6.3±1.2%, decreased fat body mass by 24.6±7.1%, and increased their back squat 1-RM and competition total by 14.3±1.5% and 12.8±1.1%; respectively. These improvements exceeded(p<0.05) PLACEBO, who increased lean body mass by 0.5±0.8%, reduced fat body mass by 9.5±3.6%, and increased back squat 1-RM and competition total by 5.7±1.7% and 5.9±1.7%; respectively. PROHORMONE also experienced multiple adverse effects. These included a 38.7±4.0% reduction in HDL (p<0.01), a 32.8±15.05% elevation in LDL (p<0.01), and elevations of 120.0±22.6% and 77.4±12.0% in LDL/HDL and C/HDL; respectively(both p<0.01). PROHORMONE also exhibited elevations in serum creatinine (19.6±4.3%;p<0.01) and AST(113.8±61.1%;p=0.05), as well as reductions in serum albumin (5.1±1.9%;p=0.04), ALP(16.4±4.7%;p=0.04), and GFR(18.0±3.3%;p=0.04). None of these values changed(all p>0.05) in PLACEBO. Conclusion:The oral PS 3b-hydroxy-5a-androst-1-en-17-one improves body composition and muscular strength. However, these changes come at a significant cost. Cardiovascular health and liver function are particularly compromised. Given these findings, we feel the harm associated with this particular PS outweighs any potential benefit."

Source: NCIB

What are your thoughts on this research?

chris223

Awards
  • Established
Nothing we didn't already know. The advantage we have on the study authors is that we also know these are short-term sides that correct themselves once the compound(s) clear the body and can be managed on-cycle with the proper ancillaries.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Didn't you or some other wanna be LG rep already post this?

danielc

Awards
Just stumbled upon this earlier. It's probably some LG rep who posted this a before I did. Speaking of LG what do you think of LG products?

danielc

Awards
i meant weird-ass posts. and lg are all DHEA analogs as far as i know, if that tells you anything.
lol i thought "ss" meant sport science.
you'd consider their 1-Andro as DHEA too?