Vitamins, any role in preventing acne??

Grifter

Board Supporter
Awards
I was reading a thread where someone said they take vitamin b-5 to help with acne. Does it really help with acne much and is there any other vitamins that do?

Swole

Board Supporter
Awards
Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) helps some people but is worthless to others. I took 16 grams daily with a PH cycle and it helped immensely. You will definitely need at least 8 grams daily to see any type of improvement; it also takes up to a month to kick in, so if you plan to run any type of AAS/PH cycle start the dosing a few weeks in advance. Also, be sure to supplement with a B-complex to accommodate for the high levels of B5 in your system.

dego

Awards
I was reading a thread where someone said they take vitamin b-5 to help with acne. Does it really help with acne much and is there any other vitamins that do?
B-5 seems to dry me out which is fine since I'm an oily WOP lol. But a standard multi B-vitamin makes me break out worse. Someone suggested that it was the biotin but I don't know.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Vitamin A in higher dosages will help a lot too. What do you think Accutane is.

dego

Awards
niacin seems to help to just be sure and build up your dose slowly as the flush you get can be pretty unbearble.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
B5 works great for me at 4-5 grams/day.

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
Also, be sure to supplement with a B-complex to accommodate for the high levels of B5 in your system.
I'm pretty sure that is unnecessary, the B vitamins are only in a family because they are found together in a lot of foods. Supplementing one won't cause an imbalance in the others.

STFU

STFU

Awards
If using massive amounts of b-5 supplementing with b-complex is a must.

Wolfe08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yes B-5...I think most people over dose tho...16 grams is way to high in my opinion, I read a study that said 10 grams is the highest you should go, during the peak of your cycle...on my ph cycle I only used 1-2grams daily and I belive it helped

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
One B complex tablet everyday or every few days is fine. I have terrible chronic cystic acne and 3-8 grams of B5 works well to dry out my skin and reduce the rate at which new cysts form. Take some zinc or ZMA as the B5 supposedly elevates levels of zinc in the skin as well.

I'm also trailing the 1% trentinoin gel with dexpanthenol from IBE. Strong stuff and it works very rapidly. I was peeling like a lizard within 4 days and am seeing improvements in skin tone on my back which is pretty scarred up.

If these fail to do the trick its on to the evils of accutane.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
I've tried just about everything over the years. From my experience the best way to treat facial acne, is to not treat it at all. I got away from harsh acne cleansers and switched to a combination skin formula with glycolic acid and my skin is damn near perfect now. This is after trying script meds for a year.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
There is a brand name b complex with zinc called Vicon-C, that may be of some help, it has to be ordered from a pharmacy, sometimes they have it on hand.

tommyboy

Awards
Does B5 just help acne by just drying up your skin or does it help other ways. Cause im a pretty dry guy as it is I dont know how getting drier will help prevent acne.

There is a brand name b complex with zinc called Vicon-C, that may be of some help, it has to be ordered from a pharmacy, sometimes they have it on hand.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Vicon-C wont dry you up but it will help heal it, people use it to heal after they have been pierced, it might be worth a try.

tommyboy

Awards
Sorry I meant the b5 drying me up.... Do I really need the zinc that badly... Also I went to the store and the biggest dosage I could find is 500mg that means I need to take 10 a day for 5 grams??? Does that sound right to you guys? If so do you spread the dosage out or all at one time during the day?

Vicon-C wont dry you up but it will help heal it, people use it to heal after they have been pierced, it might be worth a try.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Yes, you need zinc but not too much. I wouldnt dose myself with grams of anything. I would go to the drugstore and ask the pharmacist for a therapeutic vitamin called VICON-C, if he doesnt have it ask him to please order it for you, it is relatively expensive. When you get the vitamin take only one daily, stop all androgen use and take a ten day break from workouts. Purchase an antibacterial soap like phisohex or phisoderm and cleanse the affected area at least once a day. Keep unwashed hands away from it. Make sure your clothes and bed sheets are clean. Drink 10 glasses of water daily. Eliminate greasy foods and stop all drug and alchohol use. If you do all these things and see no improvement after 10 days, go to a Doctor. Or just go to a Doctor right now. I hope that helps

tommyboy

Awards
woah you are REALLY confusing me.. Im just talking about acne on cycle and off what are you talking about?

Yes, you need zinc but not too much. I wouldnt dose myself with grams of anything. I would go to the drugstore and ask the pharmacist for a therapeutic vitamin called VICON-C, if he doesnt have it ask him to please order it for you, it is relatively expensive. When you get the vitamin take only one daily, stop all androgen use and take a ten day break from workouts. Purchase an antibacterial soap like phisohex or phisoderm and cleanse the affected area at least once a day. Keep unwashed hands away from it. Make sure your clothes and bed sheets are clean. Drink 10 glasses of water daily. Eliminate greasy foods and stop all drug and alchohol use. If you do all these things and see no improvement after 10 days, go to a Doctor. Or just go to a Doctor right now. I hope that helps

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Sorry, acne on cycle just keep it clean and grin and bear it, in my experience sucking down more vitamins can make it worse, you can use prescription meds but that can overload your liver, if you are using injectables, the acne may not clear up for a month after your last dose, other than that everything in my last post is applicable to just about everyone whether they are on cycle or not. Whatever works for you guy! Just my experiences and observations. Didnt mean to confuse you.

BigPJ

Awards
dude, take b5, but definately get a louva (however the **** you spell it) - one of those hardcore cleaning dosch pads will do wonders if you clean and scrub yourself of w/ antibacterial soap everyday...IMO that's the best you can do

Swole

Board Supporter
Awards
The largest B5 caps I've ever seen are 500mg, so yes you need to pop 10 pills for 5 grams. I take 16g daily while on cycle. While that may seem excessive, it's the minimum dosage that works for me.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Theres more than a little good advice here, remember that infected acne can lead to serious condition known as sepsis an often fatal disease that develops so quickly you can go terminal in 24 hours, play it safe dude!

Ribosome

Awards
Vitamin, schmitamin. If you want to combat acne, go to a dermo and get a topical antibiotic. I use benzaclin (benzoyl peroxide/clindamycin) every single day. It's all about bacteria.

tommyboy

Awards
Yea guys I have stuff from dermotologist. Benzo, clindamycin and some differin.... Will vitamins help me at all or will they be useless and I should return them.

Ribosome

Awards
Yea guys I have stuff from dermotologist. Benzo, clindamycin and some differin.... Will vitamins help me at all or will they be useless and I should return them.
If you've got benzo/clindamycin AND you're using differin (a retinoic acid analog) there's no way any vitamins are going to do that much better. Those are good strong scripts. I use them both too. Actually, I've switched from differin to Tazorac recently. My face is pretty much clear 100% of the time.

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
I use 8.5 grams of B5 a day and Benzaclin at night, it works pretty well.

FunkMasterFlex

Awards
that stuff that jessica simpson used on TV...thats gotta work :hammer: lol