Your opinions: Silymarin during or after a methyl cycle?

Chippewa

Chippewa

Awards
  • Established
Some guys use it during a cycle, and others say "milk thistle will interfere with gains!" and they wait and use it during PCT, opting for NAC and ALA during the actual methyl cycle.

Any thoughts or preferences?

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
This has been posted before somewhere... anyhow I take it during, before and after.
My reason being that I read it will stop the toxins from entering the liver cells in the first place..

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
this has been talking about, do a search. I dont think you will find a definitive answer as everyone has different opionions on the subject.

t_dot_porkchop

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i run it heavy BEFORE a methyl cycle and then again during PCT. not at all during the cycle.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Information I have read on Milkthistle and NAC show its best used while the liver is being exposed to toxins(ie Acetominifen, M1T) by aiding the liver and its metabolism to breakdown toxins while lessening the damage those toxins do to the liver.

I believe it was Big Cat who mentioned that increasing the liver's ability to break down toxins might hinder gains while on cycle. This is pure hypothesis and to me it seems like myself and numerous others get and keep the same gains as when we did not use MT and NAC.

IMO it is foolish to hope that MT/NAC/RALA will REPAIR damage brought on by M1T when there is little evidence showing that this is what MT/NAC are for. Evidence points to them being protectants not magical liver cell replacement pills.

As an aside, the level to which NAC/MT can actually protect the liver from harsh methyls like M1T is not fully understood. We've seen very high liver values even from individuals who used them on cycle...so be cautious.

Also, research has pointed out that inconsistent use of MT/NAC is actually WORSE than either not taking it all or taking it consistently everyday. In other words, while on cycle DO NOT forget to dose your MT/NAC.

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
Could you elaborate on why inconsistent use makes this worse than not taking it at all?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I've read this from research summaries so I don't know the answer off hand. Maybe Dr D or some other knowledgable person can elaborate. Article was at lef.org under acetiminiphen poisoning...backed up by studies.

My guess is that for NAC you are basically supplying the liver with glutathione which is fuel for the liver to do its thing. This might cause a bit of a negative feedback mechanism so stopping NAC supplementation might leave the liver with no or very little glutathione to work with temporarily. Taking it away in the middle of a toxic exposure would thus be bad.

Milk thistle works along so many pathways that I have no idea how it actually works to begin with.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
agree to take both NAC and MT before, during, and after cycle. I stop from time to time when totally off, but use these almost all the time. Makes my liver happy (as it can be...)