how do you guys get rid of pins?

mac_dad6

Awards
im thinking about starting an injectable cycle but i was just wondering what you guys do with your pins. you can't just toss them in the garbage can you?

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
Solid colored plastic bottle (milk). After it gets full of pins spray some spray foam in it then superglue the lid.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I put all of 'em in an empty Windex, 409, spray bottle that isn't transparent...

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
am i the only one who uses empty protein containers?

i just duct tape it shut and write "sharps" all over it.

nebmusclehead

Awards
I am on the volunteer fire dept, so I can dispose of them in the biohazard sharp receptacle in the ambulance. Handy!!

rhinochaser48

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Tall supplement bottles and shampoo bottles so far.

gobig1

Awards
I break the needle off so no chance of reuse or danger and throw it in the trash.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
still a danger of puncture if it is just thrown in the trash.. but it in a container and then seal with cement, plaster of paris, or insulation foam.. and make sure the top is on it good and tight

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
In the sandbox at the schoolyard or park.

That was my attempt at some sick humor of what not to do. :rolleyes:

Empty protein tub would work well, as JonBlaze suggested. Some hospitals or medical centers will even dispose of filled sharps containers without question.

gobig1

Awards
still a danger of puncture if it is just thrown in the trash.. but it in a container and then seal with cement, plaster of paris, or insulation foam.. and make sure the top is on it good and tight
Puncturing what.......a soft brick of butter??? The pin is rendered useless, the end/needle is broken/cut OFF, gone, and then cut into 1/8" pieces with wire cutters, ZERO DANGER. I guess the only thing is that it could be used as an oral syringe with an extremely small opening which puts it back to the useless, harmless category.

nebmusclehead

Awards
Federal health safety standards mandate that if the sterile container the pin was originally housed in has been opened or un-sealed, it is deemed a bio-hazard and needs disposed of in a proper sharps container. This especially holds true for inserted and used pins, if they have entered the body then they are a bio-hazard. Even if you cut them up into minuscule pieces, if they can come into contact with anything alive or anything that anything alive can come in contact with, they are deemed a bio-hazard. Therefore they must be disposed of properly. "Properly" being a bio-hazard designated sharps receptacle. Since most of the world does not have access to these, the ideas stated earlier in the thread are good. "ie" filling the bottles with foam, cement or equivalent containment substance and adequately securing lids would be sufficient. By no means should they EVER be just broken or cut and thrown away! VERY IRRESPONSIBLE! Even if you know that you are disease free. Just my two cents. Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Pucturing flesh... all it takes is that tiny part you cut off sticking outside the bag and alittle force..

gobig1

Awards
Federal health safety standards mandate that if the sterile container the pin was originally housed in has been opened or un-sealed, it is deemed a bio-hazard and needs disposed of in a proper sharps container. This especially holds true for inserted and used pins, if they have entered the body then they are a bio-hazard. Even if you cut them up into minuscule pieces, if they can come into contact with anything alive or anything that anything alive can come in contact with, they are deemed a bio-hazard. Therefore they must be diposed of properly. "Properly" being a bio-hazard designated sharps receptacle. Since most of the world does not have access to these, the ideas stated earlier in the thread are good. "ie" filling the bottles with foam, cement or equivalent containment substance and adequately securing lids would be sufficient. By no means should they EVER be just broken or cut and thrown away! Just my two cents. Sorry for the rant.
If someone is digging through my trash, this is the least of their worries, there are probably far worse "live" things in there after sitting for a week waiting for the trash man to cometh and picketh up.

Good points however and I definitely understand the substance behind the reasoning but I'm sure the intent was not for an individual user, but for medical facilities producing 1000's of expended bio-hazards a day/week. Since I am not a "Mass Producer" of Bio-Hazard waste (a few pinz a week) and due to the nature of my employment, I refuse to draw attention to myself with a nice, pretty, bright red sharps container. You may not agree with my "reasoning" but you will have to come up with something better than a "Federal Mandate" intended for medical facilities.

Kind of ironic you mention federal mantade issues and are concerned with it, I think there are much more severe federal "mandates" being broken or in the grey area with all this anyway, like AAS's. Pinz would just be an add on violation to AAS use, possession and/or distribution.

Now if a hospital is throwing a thousand pinz in the trash every week, that is who you need to talk to about your federal mandate rule.

My bottom line is that I am not endangering ANYONE.

nebmusclehead

Awards
As stated earlier,someone could come into contact with it! simple! therefore you ARE endangering someone! your saying that it couldn't be possible for your garbage man to accidentally get scraped by a broken pin? or god forbid a little kid wreck his bike into your garbage cans and end up in a pile of garbage containing used pins? I am not going to start an argument here, nor am I going to quote any more mandates "you do have a good point about the AAS use" all I am saying is that you should realize the potential danger and guard against it! that's all.

gobig1

Awards
Agreed brother, this is nothing to argue about, FWIW the amount of waste I generate is miniscule and really presents no hazard. How does anyone know the local junkie isn't out back digging through the hospital waste bins and sticking himself with the stolen needles in the Sharps container he/she just stole. LIFE itself is a risk, living, breathing entails risks, minimizing those risks is survival. If a kid hit my garbage can coming in contact with something would be least of his problems, its a pretty solid can. Garbage man, naw their new trucks are all automatic, they pull it to the truck, hook it in a claw and that's it.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Everyone's method seems similar. I also use an empty protein 5 lb jug, and put it under the kitchen sink. Disopose every month or so.
Sage

surferdude26

Awards
Just buy a sharps container over in getpinz... its the same ones we use in the hospital and its really convinient. Not to mention it holds a shitload of needles/syringes.

ruffneck

ruffneck

Awards
Call your local health department and tell them you are a diabetic and need to get rid of your used syringes and see what they have to tell you.
I dont want to take the risk of throwing them into the garbage even if they are in a container. All it would take is a garbage man finding a container full a syringes to call the cops. If you happen to have throw some old mail with yourname on it in the same bag of trash and they will be knosking on your front door......Think about it......It's a long shot but it could happen.

TopFuel

Awards
leave a 12 pack of beer for the garbage men once in a while and they wont care what your throwing away......A can of insulating foam 3.99 a can,fill old protein bottle with pinz fill with foam and they will never know anything different. :rolleyes:

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
do you have a brand name recommendation? i guess i could just go to home depot and ask, but i have never heard of spray insulating foam

tia

TopFuel

Awards
Can't think of one at the moment but it is sold in any hardware store.
The foam is ment to be used in sealing up cracks,etc, around windows and such.
Can't think of any brand at moment since it been awhile since I sealed any windows,I just got one of the bio containers from getpinz.com
Hope this helped some

profbiv

Awards
Break off the needle re-shield with the needle in the shield go Purchase a freaking sharps container and dispose of it properly. Not in your trash a dumpster some where.

Main point! Purchase a sharp container: depending on size 5 to $12.00 at most drugstores and target.

viking

Awards
do you have a brand name recommendation? i guess i could just go to home depot and ask, but i have never heard of spray insulating foam

tia
It's called "Great Stuff" and usually located by the roofing supplies / fiberglass insulation.

PittStud78

PittStud78

Awards
bump.. good info. I didn't know proper discarding... maybe others dont either.