cardio on my cycle?

C

csrulez

Awards
Guys,
I wanted to ask about cardio workouts during my cycle. During my cycle I am eating 4000+ calories a day (I weigh approx. 190, should have lost a few more pounds before I started). I workout 4 times a week with weights and do cardio for 25-30 minutes after the weights and once on the weekend. Some have told me I should not do cardio during my cycle and that I need the calories to build muscle, that I am burning them up doing all that cardio. Could you guys clear this up for me? I am not clear on whether this is detrimental or whether it doesn't really matter. I know I am probably going to put on some fat during my cycle, but I want to keep it to a minumum. I would appreciate any input.
Thanks

C

csrulez

Awards
Friend of mine posted this question under my ID, help him out fellas.

thx

S

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I do cardio on my cycles, I like the lean bulking idea. It won't harm muscle building as long as it isn't in excess.

C

CrazyNut

Awards
I do cardio on my cycles, I like the lean bulking idea. It won't harm muscle building as long as it isn't in excess.
just eat plenty cals and cardio will not hurt. Make sure you consume more calories than you burn off.
You can use some of those calorie calculators etc. they have on the net.

R

raybravo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
never stop cardio, only how u eat changes .

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Just make sure you make up for those calories, and I wouldn't do super high intensity cardio either

L

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Just make sure you make up for those calories, and I wouldn't do super high intensity cardio either
Iron warrior and Sifu are right. The key is to keep your intensity Between 65%-75% APMHR that way your body will selectively burn more fat because your intensity will allow your body to use aerobic (fat burning) energy pathways.

To determine your Age Predicted Maximum Heart Rate: 220 minus your age=your max(100%) Multiply that by .65 and .75 for the high and low end of your THR (target heart rate). Keep track of it. If your intensity is too high, you will start to burn Glycogen and muscle tissue. That will hinder your gains. Also, try to increase the duration to 45min to 1 hr. It takes your body about 20min to increase lipolosis to eficient levels. Beyond that you burn more and more fat as you go.

I am the cardio king! :D I'm in the middle of my cycle right now. I'm up 7lbs, and I do 1hr of cardio every day. Occasionally twice. :) Hope that helps. Good luck ;)

M

Makaveli_786

Awards
20 minutes 3 times a week all year round, regardless of on cycle or off.

Your heart is the most important muscle you have bro, dont neglect it.

I

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
agreed
keep the cardio going
Im a couple of weeks away from my next cycle and I plan to do cardio all the way through. What good is all that muscle if you cant show it off during the summer?
Good Luck

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
How about good clean foods? **** cardio! :D

Deal with fat gains after your cycle, if bulking I don' tsee any need in cardio.. At least you're on, preserves muscle..

B

Bryan

Awards
I may be wrong but doing cardio in the form of HIIT would cause one to have better gains during a bulk no? From the added nutrient partitioning effects by the increase in AMPK activity.

Y

Yimen E.Cricket

Awards
  • Established
Does cardio contribute to heart enlargement , while you are on steroids?

C

CrazyNut

Awards
I may be wrong but doing cardio in the form of HIIT would cause one to have better gains during a bulk no? From the added nutrient partitioning effects by the increase in AMPK activity.
I think the bigger concern is the fact that HIIT cardio causes a greater EPOC, hence burning more calories, leaveing lesse calories to grow on, as compared to low intensity LSD cardio.

But the nutrient partition effect of the kinase, although i don't completely understand it, is a valid point.

B

Bryan

Awards
HIIT increases the amount of total calories burned at rest , but a greater amount of those calories are taken from fat stores vs carbs.

Jarconis

Jarconis

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
if i stop doing cardio, i find my workout intensity really suffers near the end, because Im just flat out outta shape...

C

CrazyNut

Awards
HIIT increases the amount of total calories burned at rest , but a greater amount of those calories are taken from fat stores vs carbs.

If my understanding is correct, HIIT = High intensity cardio ?? 90-95% MHR ??
If that's the case, no, then the above statement is incorrect. Infact, at that intensity, a lot of the calories are from muscle.

L

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
If my understanding is correct, HIIT = High intensity cardio ?? 90-95% MHR ??
If that's the case, no, then the above statement is incorrect. Infact, at that intensity, a lot of the calories are from muscle.
During HIIT much of the energy is from anerobic glycolisis. i.e. burning Muscle glycogen. The idea of HIIT cardio burning more fat at rest is mute because if one performs moderate intensity cardio consistently for 45min to 1hr then the the body will upgrade its ability to burn fat during and after exercise by producing more mitochondria in the muscle tissue. So the end result is that your body becomes extreemly eficient at burning fat for fuel 24/7.

B

Bryan

Awards
Once the VO2 max is over 85% fat isn't oxidized for energy

HIIT will increase EPOC and ampk levels(causing mitochondria biogenesis[formation of even more mitochondria]) hence causing more fat to be burned while resting. 45mins of regular cardio will not compare to HIIT in relation to AMPK/EPOC increases and resting state FFA utilization.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Anabolics 19
H Anabolics 7
Punkrocker Nutrition / Health 16
J Anabolics 2
J Anabolics 0