Yankees rumors

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've heard a number of different rumors from the media and Yanks fans. They say the following players on the Yanks roster are a possibility:
Nomar at 2B
Varitek at C
Posada traded to Arizona in a deal for Randy Johnson
Pedro Martinez or Carl Pavano

If Giambi comes back 100% (BIG IF) and Nomar is at 2nd, that will be the best infield in baseball (better than Texas and St. Louis), and maybe the best of all time!

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
And we can't forget Carlos Beltran in CF.

Man it has to suck to be a Red Sox fan.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
If they trade Varitek & Pedro to the Yankees, I'm done with Baseball. I refuse to see half our lineup in pinstripes.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Steinbrenner treats the playoffs like a buffet, he'll sit back and look at who he wants next season.

kilgore78

Awards
Pedro and Varitek wouldn't be traded. They are free agents. Along with 15 other Red Sox

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Pedro and Varitek wouldn't be traded. They are free agents. Along with 15 other Red Sox
Sorry fellas, he is right. Pedro and Varitek are free to go where they choose.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
True. Either way I would be disgusted.
The major problem is that players don't think like fans do. All that BS with Pedro and Zimmer is in the past. Varitek and AROD could one day be best of friends. Most athletes want 3 things:
1) Lots of money, and
2) A chance to win every year
3) A chance to play (obviously)

Some athletes don't even care about #2 :rant: ! I'd be willing to bet that one way or another Pedro and Varitek LOVE that Steinbrenner is drolling over them. 10 years ago a younger generation was having this exact same conversation about Roger Clemens, and he will be inducted into the Hall of Fame in Yankee pin-stripes. Again, I'm not a Yankees fan, I just wouldn't be amazed to see some of these guys in NY.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
The major problem is that players don't think like fans do. All that BS with Pedro and Zimmer is in the past. Varitek and AROD could one day be best of friends. Most athletes want 3 things:
1) Lots of money, and

Some athletes don't even care about #2 :rant: ! I'd be willing to bet that one way or another Pedro and Varitek LOVE that Steinbrenner is drolling over them. 10 years ago a younger generation was having this exact same conversation about Roger Clemens, and he will be inducted into the Hall of Fame in Yankee pin-stripes. Again, I'm not a Yankees fan, I just wouldn't be amazed to see some of these guys in NY.
I know and it's unfortunate. Game 1 in Fenway this year is going to be rough.

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
They should have NY vs. MLB allstars instead of NL vs. AL if the Yanks get those players.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
We Want Mike Sweeney!!!

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i don't even want Nomar he's a crybaby and has no heart
give me cairo any day

kilgore78

Awards
nomar may have no heart but he is still an improvement over cairo.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
cairo had a great year considering he was our 8/9 hitter and showed heart if you ask me
nomar SAT OUT the yankee game where jeter made his amazing play
plus i'd rather not have every superstar in baseball honestly i'm sick of hearing about how much the yankees spend and the offense is fine (especially since they're going to get beltran)
they NEED pitching both starting and relief

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
yes good for them if they get beltran, sucks to be them if they pick up nomar for some reason. I guaruntee they don't get vtek. So where does that leave them????

oh in the same spot as last year - sick offense (yet still behind the Angels AND RED SOX) and oh yeh without any pitching.
I guess they'll need some bats seeing as how they'll be giving up 6-7 runs a game next year with the rotation they have now.

you may not think that defense wins championships b/c the top two offenses in the league were in the world series but the cards won what 4 total gold gloves this year (3 maybe??) and the sox had 3 gold gloves in their infield, speed in the outfield and plenty of pitching.
The yankees had a good left infield but no one who could shag a long flyball in the outfield (personally I think it's b/c sheff's pants were like 5 sizes too small. look at him its like he's rocking spandex so of course he couldn't run out those long fly balls. That and he and bernie are old enough to start collecting SS in the next 5 years).

that being said I'm a die-hard sox fan and will most like vomit on myself if I hear that the sox let vtek and pedro go to the yankees

deftone

Awards
1) Lots of money, and

The BS with Pedro and Zimmer is in the past because Pedro wont be on the Red Sox next season, and Zimm has been part of the Devil Rays organization since last offseason. One additional problem the Yankees have is that they just lost Willie Randolf to the Mets and Mel Stottlemyre might retire.

kmac6225

Awards
  • Established
FYI - mel is already gone...he quit before he could be fired

Twin Peak

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I heard Vasquez for Soriano. I would love to see Sori back in stripes. Add Soriano and Beltran, and you have the best lineup of all time. And you know they will be beefing up their pitching.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hi Steve :)

Looks like we could be in for a very interesting off season.

Randolph managing the Mets.
Mattingly filling Willie's spot?
Stottelmyre retiring.
Lofton, Sierra, Clark, Ciarro, etc...free agents?
Bernie...perminent DH?
Giambi...?
Shane Spencer is in Columbus (or some other NY farm) last I heard and would be a nice re-addition.
Johnson...we need pitching!!!

Too many trips to the show lately without a win for George. I would not be surprised if things get shaken up a bit.

Twin Peak

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Indeed, I expect it will rival last year. Johnson would be spectacular.

kmac6225

Awards
  • Established
johnson would be great but how are you going to get him? AZ wants pitching and young prospects in return. Randy isn't a free agent so shelling out money just wont cut it. Thats why they couldn't get him before the trade deadline cuz the yankees have no prospects and no pitching to offer AZ.

The yankees already have $170 million in payroll tied up next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they hit the $210 million dollar mark in another desparate effort to buy a championship

deftone

Awards
johnson would be great but how are you going to get him? AZ wants pitching and young prospects in return. Randy isn't a free agent so shelling out money just wont cut it. Thats why they couldn't get him before the trade deadline cuz the yankees have no prospects and no pitching to offer AZ.

The yankees already have $170 million in payroll tied up next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they hit the $210 million dollar mark in another desparate effort to buy a championship
They are also interested in a catcher, enter Jorge Posada. A multiple year all-star capable of 30+ home run power. He was by far the best catcher in the AL until pudge came over. Sorry Varitek, i guess you have to settle for the back seat.

biggjohn

Banned
Awards
Boston has made signing Varitek a priority. I think they'll shell out and retain him.

kmac6225

Awards
  • Established
yeh i'm perfectly fine w/ vtek taking a back seat to pudge and jorge...whatever keeps him in boston

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
A rumor in the San Jose Mercury news is the A's may trade Tim Hudson for Jorge Posada if the A's are far off Hudson's asking price before the season starts. That would suck since I'm an A's fan and Huddy is the heart of the team.