Love ice cream but hate the fat? Try this banana ice cream thats easy to make

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
Well I don't know about you guys, but I love ice cream, and since I live in the midwest it is almost impossible to stay away from in the summer because of the freakin heat and humidity. And after some time on a gluten free diet I ran across a couple recipes that make a pretty good substitute.

What you need
3 bananas
Peanut butter (I use natural pb)
Cinnamon
I use soy milk but regular is fine too

1. First take the bananas and slice them pretty thin, about 1/2 pieces
2. Then place them on a plate, or tray in the freezer for 3-4 hours
3. Get out your blender and put the bananas in with app 1/2 cup milk
4. Blend the Bananas and Milk until you get a soft serve texture
5. Add however much PB you want
6. Add app 1/2tsp of cinnamon
7. Blend again until ingredients are blended through
8. I personally prefer to freeze mine longer at this point, but if you like soft serve try some. Also if you let it freeze a little longer I think the flavors are more pronounced

I dig this stuff and I think it is a great substitute to the real thing, and you can do it with over fruits too like strawberries and stuff.
We have made some pretty good stuff since the mercury has been rising with no relief in site.

This stuff is actually good for you too, you are getting the protein and vitamins from the banana and your fooling your senses.

Collateral

Collateral

Awards
This sounds lovely, i think i will try it :) Cheers

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
wooowww. bangin.

ChrisSurf

Awards
What if you leave it frozen over night, will it be hard as a rock?

We have a ice cream machine we use once in awhile.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
wonder if this would work with almond milk instead of soy milk. I don't know how much thicker soy milk is than almond milk, it might not get thick enough to turn into ice cream if soy milk is a lot thicker than almond milk...

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys

You can leave it over night, I prefer to because I think it makes it a little more flavorful but it does get hard.

Also you can use any milk, because this isn't really ice cream I just use it to help my blender power through it..

I'm not sure an ice cream maker would work since its really just the.air being added to the dryden bananas that gives it its texture not the thickening of cooling liquids

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
Protein from pb and ill take my pb fat over the sugars and fats in regular ice cream any day. And it has a lot of flavor and as soon as you get into flavored ice cream your talking serious cals and fat

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Protein from pb and ill take my pb fat over the sugars and fats in regular ice cream any day. And it has a lot of flavor and as soon as you get into flavored ice cream your talking serious cals and fat
I'm saying it isn't a viable alternative to regular ice cream, I'm just saying you need to use it in moderation since PB is still high in fat and bananas aren't that great.

Also, PB for prot? C'mon, now. 3g per Tbsp isn't much of a help. Use it for the healthy fat, not the protein. If you want extra protein, add some whey to that mix. ;)

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
you could use the NTBM power PB for the protein boost

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
Bryeres plain Chocolate 1/2 cup

Calories 140
Total fat 7g
Saturated fat 4.5g
Trans fat 0g
Cholesterol 20mg
Sodium 45mg
Total Carbohydrates 17g
Dietary fiber 1g
Sugars 16g
Sugar Alcohol
Protein 2g
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 6%
Iron 4%

Mine (total mixture not per serving) which makes about 6 to 8 cups
PB 2tbsp
- Fat 15g
- Carbs 6g
- sugars >1g
- Protein 9g
Banana x 4
- Fat 4g
- Sodium 32mg
- Carbs 200g
- Protein 8g
- Fiber 24g

Add some whey if you like, or Power PB and it sounds like a smart snack to me. I would much rather get my carbs, fats, and proteins from raw natural foods than processed food any day.
Also because of the fiber content in the PB ice cream your body will actually consume fewer calories and fat from the Banana Ice cream than it would from the fats and calories found in the regular ice cream.

Now I am not trying to argue, and I was never trying to say that this was a body builders power snack or anything, simply just a good alternative that you can eat with less guilt.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you want something similar to ice cream and low in fat then try this.

Ingredients:
- Bananas (as many as you wish)

Method:
- Peel the bananas
- Stick them in the freezer

Done.

By the time you take them out they are hard but not so solid that you cannot cut through them. The texture is harder than ice cream but you can leave it out for 5-10 minutes and it softens quickly.

I have done this a couple of times. Tossed on some plain cocoa and cinnamon and you have a treat that will even fool children. :)

Gilroye

Gilroye

Awards
Hey...
Well I don't know about you guys, but I love ice cream, and since I live in the midwest it is almost impossible to stay away from in the summer because of the freakin heat and humidity. And after some time on a gluten free diet I ran across a couple recipes that make a pretty good substitute.

What you need
3 bananas
Peanut butter (I use natural pb)
Cinnamon
I use soy milk but regular is fine too

1. First take the bananas and slice them pretty thin, about 1/2 pieces
2. Then place them on a plate, or tray in the freezer for 3-4 hours
3. Get out your blender and put the bananas in with app 1/2 cup milk
4. Blend the Bananas and Milk until you get a soft serve texture
5. Add however much PB you want
6. Add app 1/2tsp of cinnamon
7. Blend again until ingredients are blended through
8. I personally prefer to freeze mine longer at this point, but if you like soft serve try some. Also if you let it freeze a little longer I think the flavors are more pronounced

I dig this stuff and I think it is a great substitute to the real thing, and you can do it with over fruits too like strawberries and stuff.
We have made some pretty good stuff since the mercury has been rising with no relief in site.

This stuff is actually good for you too, you are getting the protein and vitamins from the banana and your fooling your senses.
awesome post... your recipe sound great... it is so simple and easy to made... it ingredients show it would be very tasty.. i will try it my home next weekend.. thanks for recipe sharing....
boot camp burlingame