High Protein, Low Fat Substitute for Cream Cheese

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
I got this from the cook book "Clean Eating." I tried it the other day and it has the same consistency and very close in taste to cream cheese. It has much less fat and higher protein than cream cheese.

You'll need:

1 Tub of low-fat plain yogurt
Cheese cloth (you can find this on the same aisle as parchment paper)
colander to drain
mixing bowl

Place the colander over the mixing bowl. Wet the cheese cloth and drape over the colander. Dump the yogurt onto the cheese cloth so that the yogurt can drain through the cloth. Leave overnight in the fridge.

The next morning put only the cheese left in the cheese cloth in a tupperware bowl to store. Discard the liquid left in mixing bowl.

You can eat it straight (like cream cheese) and you can also mix spinach and other flavors into it for a great dip. :thumbsup:

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Whats wrong with cottage cheese with pineapple, or tuna -ready made available at the supermarket

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
I eat the hell out of cottage cheese...just something else if you need a break from the norm

badfish21981

badfish21981

Awards
Whats wrong with cottage cheese with pineapple, or tuna -ready made available at the supermarket

She said cream cheese not cottage cheese. Sounds great because I love cream cheese but not everything that comes along with it. Thanks.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
She said cream cheese not cottage cheese. Sounds great because I love cream cheese but not everything that comes along with it. Thanks.

My point was why go to all that trouble of making a less fat and higher protein product when one is already available ie low fat cottage cheese. I would rather add it to the shopping list , than spend time in the kitchen making it.

If you want to make cottage cheese creamier you could add a teaspoon of flax oil or similar.