Warm Up for Bench

M

mkurtzhals

Awards
What should I do for warm ups for bench, stretching, etc.

THanks

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I use whatever exercise I am going to do to warm up. I just use a lower weight.

CROWLER

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
like crowler said, warm up with the same movement, just lighter weights. stretch after the muscle is worked, not before.

M

MrSkullCrusher

Awards
I do a couple of sets of dumbell flys with light weight and then some front & side raises with 5lb and then 10lb small plates to warm up my shoulders before bench.Then start out with 135lb then go up from there!

G

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i do my rotator work then light weight building up to my workset

GettingSwole

GettingSwole

Awards
I normally warmup with 2-3 sets of light facepulls and 2-3 sets of light tricep push downs followed by 5 mins on the elliptical before my bench and squat workouts.

S

Sirius

Awards
For a change of pace try some pre-exhaustion on auxiliary bodyparts in beching. For bench press you can exhaust your triceps and deltoids 1st ..work them to near failure. Now when you bench press you'll use more chest with little assistance from your tris and delts. It's just one technique I use occasionally. You won't set any records and use less weight but it focuses the intensity on your chest. Always do some rotator work before benching...it can save your delts..especially if you are going heavy. I only use benching as an overall building exercise and power movement along with squats and deadlifts with my 1rep max bench at 515lbs....but for direct chest exercises there are much better movements...dips with arms out neck down leaning forward...and flyes with thumbless grip and elbows bend...just as 2 examples. :)

A

anadrol75

Awards
Light weight for 12 to 15 reps is a good warmup.

S

Synthetik

Awards
Rotator cuff warmup with a light plate (5lbs for me), just do arm circles. Then light weight of 20 reps. Then I'm good to go.

D

Danl4560

Awards
like crowler said, warm up with the same movement, just lighter weights. stretch after the muscle is worked, not before.
I disagree, stretch before and after, much more beneficial to stretch beforehand.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I disagree, stretch before and after, much more beneficial to stretch beforehand.
Stretching before can negatively affect strength. However, by stretching afterwards, you not only increase the ROM, but slightly increase the microtrauma to lead to better recovery and growth.

D

Danl4560

Awards
Stretching before can negatively affect strength. However, by stretching afterwards, you not only increase the ROM, but slightly increase the microtrauma to lead to better recovery and growth.
You may be right about it negatively effecting strength, but I absolutely hate walking into lifts cold turkey. I feel much less injury prone when I stretch beforehand.