Power lifters. Thoughts on Blaha?

john6370

Awards
His channel has drama at times, but i think it is just part of the youtube fitness community and i think it is great entertainment. He does give out really good advice for people into fitness and power-lifting, but bodybuilding he does not care for. He is not anti Gear and tells it how it is. He will call out people that sell supplements and lie about Steroid use, and i think that part of the Hate from other channels. If your new to lifting weights i say his channel and programs are some of the best i have seen. Saying that he is very entertaining and does not lie and that is the main thing. Some people Hate him and others love him...I am in the middle, he is a good guy that is trying to make a living and will call people out. I sub to him and Jerry Ward and others.. That all give out advice, it is up to you to decide what is true, but Jason is good for powerlifters and natural fitness people...He is in TRT and does not lie about his past Gear Use and that is always good.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
He is a joke

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A delusional, lying, condescending, hypocrite and self righteous prick. Now doing his "Bulgarian training" -meaning : as little as possible. He failed to get lean and decided suddenly to switch from bodybuilder to a self proclaimed "strength athlete" , to justify his blubber.

I'm watching his vids for the ment -and to get needed aggression for my workouts.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He basically is reading new studies, then making a video about it, telling everybody that he always knew it -and all the others were wrong. Omitting the fact that he didn't manage to grow an inch in years.
I admit that he is lifting some good weight (for singles) nowadays (after YEARS of failing) -but all the bullsh1t he was telling in the past (code name: Hemingway - look it up, LMAO) buried him for good.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I dig his vibe,...(will admit his style is unique) but he’s one of the few that keeps it real and isn’t shilling anything...I enjoy his videos at night and he doesn’t have that “obnoxious, in your face” bull sh it...

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He basically is reading new studies, then making a video about it, telling everybody that he always knew it -and all the others were wrong. Omitting the fact that he didn't manage to grow an inch in years.
I admit that he is lifting some good weight (for singles) nowadays (after YEARS of failing) -but all the bullsh1t he was telling in the past (code name: Hemingway - look it up, LMAO) buried him for good.

hes strong forsure. I'm not sure he is trying to grow.
I like how he calls out fake natties and BS training.
I also think he will become an elite lifter in his 40s. I wish I had enough you tube followers that I could do Bulgarian style. you have to have some free time to train like that.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hes strong forsure. I'm not sure he is trying to grow.
I like how he calls out fake natties and BS training.
I also think he will become an elite lifter in his 40s. I wish I had enough you tube followers that I could do Bulgarian style. you have to have some free time to train like that.
I can't get passed his delusions, I just can't. No matter if he has to say something informative.
Did you see some vids of his haters, where they called his outrageous lies? HOURS of ment!

[video=youtube;JXJmrYzjmIY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXJmrYzjmIY&t=896s[/video]

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can't get passed his delusions, I just can't. No matter if he has to say something informative.
Did you see some vids of his haters, where they called his outrageous lies? HOURS of ment!

[video=youtube;JXJmrYzjmIY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXJmrYzjmIY&t=896s[/video]
I saw joe rogan do the stolen valor stuff.
yeah he's definitely weird. but strictly his PL stuff I like.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I saw joe rogan do the stolen valor stuff.
yeah he's definitely weird. but strictly his PL stuff I like.
that video is hilarious.
I just think hes got decent lifts and I haven't heard one bit of false info when he talks powerlifting.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
gthe suddenly part I'm not sure about either HG, hes been PLing for awhile

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
gthe suddenly part I'm not sure about either HG, hes been PLing for awhile
Well, he better sticks to PL, instead of wacking people as a mercenary, LOL!

johnl1800

johnl1800

Awards
  • Established
Blaha is a complete fraud. I'll admit that I found some of his earlier videos busting fake natties entertaining and some of the information in his videos is valid. However more often than not he appears to have just googled something, found an article, skimmed it, and then goes online posting a video on the subject pontificating as if he's an expert on it.

And then there's the whole fantasy land fake mercenary claims that blew up when he and his channel basically went off the deep end some time ago.

Google "Blahapedia" or "blaha fitmisc" you'll find a rather lengthy expose of his many countless wild claims.

The guy legitimately seems to have some kind of mental disorder where he appears to have a difficult time distinguishing fantasy from reality.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
that's pretty harsh. you don't think he understands powerlifting?
He talks from a position of authority when he has achieved very little

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He talks from a position of authority when he has achieved very little
Now he is showing some heavy lifts, even with good form, I admit. Judging him by his strength and execution, nothing bad to say... BUT the guy is a delusional jerk, you have no idea how much I hate him, LOL (But I'm enjoying it, its my daily dose of cringe).

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I had to choose a youtuber as a role model, it would probably be James "Tiny" Vest, followed by Athlean-x.
The reason I'm not particularly following any of them is, James has a "sleep inducing kind of transmitting knowledge" -and Athlean-X needs about 20 minutes of anatomy lessons before showing an exercise.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Now he is showing some heavy lifts, even with good form, I admit. Judging him by his strength and execution, nothing bad to say... BUT the guy is a delusional jerk, you have no idea how much I hate him, LOL (But I'm enjoying it, its my daily dose of cringe).
I know a lot of people that are strong and are stupid as ****. Blaha giving advice is the equivalent of the 16 year old that squatted 500lb at your local high school giving advice on how to train.

Completely blows my mind that he can take the work of Bill Starr, Mark Rippetoe and Glenn Pendlay, add some close grip bench and arm isolations and market it across the biggest websites out there

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If I had to choose a youtuber as a role model, it would probably be James "Tiny" Vest, followed by Athlean-x.
The reason I'm not particularly following any of them is, James has a "sleep inducing kind of transmitting knowledge" -and Athlean-X needs about 20 minutes of anatomy lessons before showing an exercise.
Id chose Mark bell, silent mike, Alan thrall, Chris duffin
Athlean x isn't even worth watching in my opinion.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know a lot of people that are strong and are stupid as ****. Blaha giving advice is the equivalent of the 16 year old that squatted 500lb at your local high school giving advice on how to train.

Completely blows my mind that he can take the work of Bill Starr, Mark Rippetoe and Glenn Pendlay, add some close grip bench and arm isolations and market it across the biggest websites out there
He's logging Bulgarian training. That's a first I believe.
He just stated that newbies should learn to dead with hook grip.
I have to agree.

johnl1800

johnl1800

Awards
  • Established
From "Blahapedia"here's some of Blaha's grandiose claims:

Martial arts master, two black belts but refuses to say in what styles, since that would give his opponents a tactical advantage.

Could have become a medical doctor but chose not to. Again, $60 a day on YouTube is just so much better.

Genius level 147 IQ (99.9th percentile of population). Scored a 1420 on the SAT (97th percentile of test takers). Double majored in Psychology and Nutritional Science at Texas A&M, achieved a perfect 4.0 GPA without ever studying.

-Worked as a male model.

Is literally the greatest competitive eater who has ever lived. Won an eating contest in high school by eating 13 large Domino's pizzas in under two hours. This calculates into approximately 29 pounds of food/37,000 calories in one sitting.

-Expert musician. He has never demonstrated this skill on camera, but he assured us all that he took two years of honours jazz and played in heavy metal bands

-Built hydrogen compressors. An incredible feat since he was in his early 20s and had never attended any engineering school of any kind.

-Ran his own steroid lab from 2000-2004

-Was a shredded bodybuilder below 5% body fat. Unfortunately, all photographic evidence of this was burned up in a fire.

Squatted 605 pounds and leg pressed 2,000 pounds for 20 reps. All evidence presumed lost in The Great Fire.

-Reverse grip bench pressed 500 pounds. This is a feat that is only achievable by elite world record holding powerlifters. When asked for proof of this, he says that he doesn't have any because the Internet wasn't that popular in the early 2000s.

He claims to have the same amount of muscle mass as Ryback. He also says that he's nearly the same size as post-retirement Jay Cutler.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You forgot:
-He killed people in combat
-was a mercenary
-Science fiction writer

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Genius level 147 IQ (99.9th percentile of population).
My IQ was tested at 148 and it's really not as smart as everyone seems to think. I'd say the main difference between me and the average guy with a 100 IQ is that I know I'm stupid and they don't

Seeing as Blaha doesn't know he's stupid, I'm calling BS on that as wel

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My IQ was tested at 148 and it's really not as smart as everyone seems to think. I'd say the main difference between me and the average guy with a 100 IQ is that I know I'm stupid and they don't

Seeing as Blaha doesn't know he's stupid, I'm calling BS on that as wel
I know at least one person with an 140+ IQ who can't piss a hole into snow. Even IF Blaha has a high IQ, it wouldn't mean anything.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
He's logging Bulgarian training. That's a first I believe.
He just stated that newbies should learn to dead with hook grip.
I have to agree.
He's not doing "Bulgarian" training, he is squatting up to a daily max
IE - Doing the least work possible in the gym

I did this style of training for a year, it's not how the Bulgarians actually trained, Abadjiev went through how they trained in many interviews. Abadjiev never even discussed "daily maximums" and neither did anyone else that he trained. The daily maximum was actually coined by Matthew Perryman and utilised by John Broz to avoid their lifters from getting hurt (The Bulgarian system was designed in a way that only the genetic elite could survive)

In the real Bulgarian training, if the loading called for a max then the lifter would attempt a max - none of this "daily max"

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I did this style of training for a year, it's not how the Bulgarians actually trained, Abadjiev went through how they trained in many interviews. Abadjiev never even discussed "daily maximums" and neither did anyone else that he trained. The daily maximum was actually coined by Matthew Perryman and utilised by John Broz to avoid their lifters from getting hurt (The Bulgarian system was designed in a way that only the genetic elite could survive)

In the real Bulgarian training, if the loading called for a max then the lifter would attempt a max - none of this "daily max"
He also said nobody actually does true bulgarian training.
Its a Bulgarian "style" of training.
He's doing a daily minimum not max.
But I get what your saying.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Bulgarians train 3xs a day right?

johnl1800

johnl1800

Awards
  • Established
You forgot:
-He killed people in combat
-was a mercenary
-Science fiction writer
And let's not forget that he's also claimed that he has more lean muscle mass than Serge Nubret. Even if true (doubtful) who cares? The guy looks like a big giant blob of feces. When Nubret was 65 years old he looked better than Blaha on the best day he ever saw.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And let's not forget that he's also claimed that he has more lean muscle mass than Serge Nubret. Even if true (doubtful) who cares? The guy looks like a big giant blob of feces. When Nubret was 65 years old he looked better than Blaha on the best day he ever saw.
Did he really say that? Nubret was actually a few inches taller than him, and twice his size. I don’t think it’s every been close.
301A486D-D09D-45C4-912B-D93320CA7428-4060-000003724C55243B.jpeg

B7E4A726-CDED-4029-B83F-5934654505FC-4060-000003725A58C2BF.jpeg

I think this pic is enough to dismiss Blaha, no?
2F936E67-C0F1-4E98-AB14-E8BB1B6715DE-4060-00000374E3FC037C.jpeg

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm just interested in his lifting.
Not his fantasy stuff. I know he's weird.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm just interested in his lifting.
Not his fantasy stuff. I know he's weird.
So his consistently insane and inane comments and fabrications don’t undermine his credibility and reliability for you? It’s not like he’s an elite-level lifter/bodybuilder/etc, not that being one would be sufficient to take his advice anyway, but him also being more than a little delusional doesn’t sort of turn you off of his advice? Honest question.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So his consistently insane and inane comments and fabrications don’t undermine his credibility and reliability for you? It’s not like he’s an elite-level lifter/bodybuilder/etc, not that being one would be sufficient to take his advice anyway, but him also being more than a little delusional doesn’t sort of turn you off of his advice? Honest question.
I Havnt heard any false lifting advice. Have you?
In not taking knife fighting advice, or parachuting .

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I get he's lied, but just the powerlifting stuff, so far seems legit. I've only been watching since his new home gym.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Bulgarians train 3xs a day right?
They started at 3x a week, added sessions as they adapted until they were eventually training 3x a day yes. But by 3 times a day, it would be like front squatting in the morning, a 30 minute smoke break, then clean and jerk, 60 minute lunch break, snatch.

They also only ever front squatted. They would only do back squat if they had some sort of hand problem that stopped them front squatting.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They started at 3x a week, added sessions as they adapted until they were eventually training 3x a day yes. But by 3 times a day, it would be like front squatting in the morning, a 30 minute smoke break, then clean and jerk, 60 minute lunch break, snatch.

They also only ever front squatted. They would only do back squat if they had some sort of hand problem that stopped them front squatting.
Interesting. That's a good way to separate the men from the boys.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I Havnt heard any false lifting advice. Have you?
In not taking knife fighting advice, or parachuting .
What I’m saying is that when we KNOW that he’s said some incorrect things (to put it lightly), it would just be a huge red flag for me to question the legitimacy of everything else he says. Why rely on him when there are people who don’t make up so much nonsense? What about him leads you to believe that he gives better advice than what you can find elsewhere? He’s clearly not always honest, he’s quite obviously delusional, and he’s not even an elite lifter himself.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. That's a good way to separate the men from the boys.
Yeah, A lot of people say that it's just a system that is used to rinse through lifters and only the elite survive, however their actual pool of lifters was far smaller than say the USA

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What I’m saying is that when we KNOW that he’s said some incorrect things (to put it lightly), it would just be a huge red flag for me to question the legitimacy of everything else he says. Why rely on him when there are people who don’t make up so much nonsense? What about him leads you to believe that he gives better advice than what you can find elsewhere? He’s clearly not always honest, he’s quite obviously delusional, and he’s not even an elite lifter himself.
uh, bro I'm talking about watching a you tube video. Homie I watch like 10 different you tubers. Blahas have been good IMO since he got his little home set up. I don't take it that serious. But recently he said novice lifters should learn to deadlift with a hook grip. That advice is golden.
Again I just watch his videos bro.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I watched one video of his a year ago and almost blew my brains out trying to comprehend how people like him even have a following.

I would trust Jason Genova over Blaha.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I watched one video of his a year ago and almost blew my brains out trying to comprehend how people like him even have a following.

I would trust Jason Genova over Blaha.
well hes squatting 500lbs daily.....have you seen other people do that on you tube?

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Feels like I'm defending him.
All I'm saying is I enjoy his powerlifting videos. And the busting fake natties is cool too.
Marc lobiner( who I watch) just on TRT hehehe

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Feels like I'm defending him.
All I'm saying is I enjoy his powerlifting videos. And the busting fake natties is cool too.
Marc lobiner( who I watch) just on TRT hehehe
I’m not saying you can’t or shouldn’t enjoy watching his videos, some people enjoy watching train wrecks; I’m only saying that I wouldn’t rely heavily on anything he says, at least not without heavy and intense outside verification. I’m sure there are other non-delusional people giving similar or better advice.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’m not saying you can’t or shouldn’t enjoy watching his videos, some people enjoy watching train wrecks; I’m only saying that I wouldn’t rely heavily on anything he says, at least not without heavy and intense outside verification. I’m sure there are other non-delusional people giving similar or better advice.
Well again his powerlifting stuff is dead on.
I do watch a lot of other guys too.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well again his powerlifting stuff is dead on.
I do watch a lot of other guys too.
To each his own I suppose. It’s not like there’s not other people who are equally as “dead on” that don’t spout delusional nonsense, and I personally wouldn’t want to support someone so delusional and inflate their already massive ego. But if you like him; watch him. I just don’t see the appeal.

johnl1800

johnl1800

Awards
  • Established
I Havnt heard any false lifting advice.
Yeah, maybe, but the guy is just parroting whatever he happened to find in a google search that day and sometimes he doesn't even get that right. Why not just find videos and articles by someone with a normally functioning brain who actually knows what they're talking about?

While I thought that his fake natties videos and some of his earlier lifting videos were actually pretty decent the guy just lost all credibility with me when he went loony with his fake merc insanity.

When he was living in the UK he was a bleeding heart liberal vegetarian. When he moved back to the US he reinvented himself as a right wing conservative who advocated literally catapulting illegals back into Mexico.

And let's not forget about the time that internet trolls put up a fake craigslist ad for tranny sex and when someone showed up at Blaha's apartment he held them at gun point and stole the guys ID.

So yeah, F*$# this loon. I won't watch his videos even for a joke anymore for the simple fact that I don't want to give his channel any views. There's plenty of more credible people on YouTube who aren't just sitting in a wheelchair like Blaha, making bullets, cranking out video after video that he has to pad and drag out to hit the ten minute mark for more advertising revenue.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, maybe, but the guy is just parroting whatever he happened to find in a google search that day and sometimes he doesn't even get that right. Why not just find videos and articles by someone with a normally functioning brain who actually knows what they're talking about?

While I thought that his fake natties videos and some of his earlier lifting videos were actually pretty decent the guy just lost all credibility with me when he went loony with his fake merc insanity.

When he was living in the UK he was a bleeding heart liberal vegetarian. When he moved back to the US he reinvented himself as a right wing conservative who advocated literally catapulting illegals back into Mexico.

And let's not forget about the time that internet trolls put up a fake craigslist ad for tranny sex and when someone showed up at Blaha's apartment he held them at gun point and stole the guys ID.

So yeah, F*$# this loon. I won't watch his videos even for a joke anymore for the simple fact that I don't want to give his channels any views. There's plenty of more credible people on YouTube who aren't just sitting in a wheelchair like Blaha, making bullets cranking out video after video that he has to pad and drag out to hit the ten minute mark for more advertising revenue.
Joe Rogan has a pretty good podcast about Stolen Valor these people that fake to be military people and stuff, Its pretty interesting. There is definitely something wrong upstairs to fake being a mercenary.
BUT as far as parroting, that's false. That's kind of my point. He's currently logging a training style that I haven't seen any you tubers doing. Do that's interesting me.
I don't watch you tube and befriend the tuber.
Daily minimums are sort of new for you tube.
I want to see if he can squat 600lb and pull 700lb. That's interesting to me

johnl1800

johnl1800

Awards
  • Established
I want to see if he can squat 600lb and pull 700lb. That's interesting to me
The problem is that his credibility is so suspect that even if he did show a video of himself squatting 600lb or pulling 700lb few would believe it was legitimate and would probably conclude, given his past history of "exaggeration", that he was using fake weights like Brad Castleberry.

His past behavior is such that even if he could legitimately perform these lifts a great many would think it was just another one of his fantastic claims like his fantasy 500lb reverse grip bench press.