MEET PREP

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
What’s up everyone,

Been powerlifting for a few years and will be competing this July!!!
Currently in a strength phase and just wanted to get some advice/tips or just general info on the PEAKING process, as I’ve never gone through it before.
Would like to see what others do or like doing.

Thanks in advance

Gym PRs - squat 480, bench 420, deadlift 515

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I like to take my heaviest bench a week out, squat 10 days out, and deadlift around 20 days out. These will generally be the absolute heaviest single I know I can hit in the gym. DO NOT MISS. Think 97% for a starting point and adjust based on what you are confident for that day. Film warmups on the way up and be honest - what you hit in the gym doesn’t matter, what matters is handling a limit weight to set the peak.

Since the deadlift is so far out, there will be a day I pull an opener around 14 days out, but the big one is ~20 out.

Week of meet, I train one time on Wednesday. I bench 70% for a few singles, squat a few triples with 185, pull 225 for a few singles, get mobile, mash, bloodflow. I will also try to get short walks in and stay loose throughout the week. If you aren’t used to more intense cardio like the prowler, don’t suddenly bring the sled in only in meet week.

Swede Burns has a very well laid out month long peaking cycle, but it only really makes sense within the context of 5th Set, not as a stand-alone.

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
I like to take my heaviest bench a week out, squat 10 days out, and deadlift around 20 days out. These will generally be the absolute heaviest single I know I can hit in the gym. DO NOT MISS. Think 97% for a starting point and adjust based on what you are confident for that day. Film warmups on the way up and be honest - what you hit in the gym doesn’t matter, what matters is handling a limit weight to set the peak.

Since the deadlift is so far out, there will be a day I pull an opener around 14 days out, but the big one is ~20 out.

Week of meet, I train one time on Wednesday. I bench 70% for a few singles, squat a few triples with 185, pull 225 for a few singles, get mobile, mash, bloodflow. I will also try to get short walks in and stay loose throughout the week. If you aren’t used to more intense cardio like the prowler, don’t suddenly bring the sled in only in meet week.

Swede Burns has a very well laid out month long peaking cycle, but it only really makes sense within the context of 5th Set, not as a stand-alone.
So leading up to your heaviest bench squat and dead’s are you primarily performing triples and doubles? Or is it more of a taper, higher reps/volume and dropped down as you approach your meet? Sorry for all the questions but thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So leading up to your heaviest bench squat and dead’s are you primarily performing triples and doubles? Or is it more of a taper, higher reps/volume and dropped down as you approach your meet? Sorry for all the questions but thanks for the info, really appreciate it.
I’ve done it both ways. In general you’re always tapering volume down as intensity rises, unless using a concurrent approach incorporating a max effort method.

I hate doing the work, but having a large base of volume to taper down from is a guaranteed way to make PRs. If you can do more work than you’ve ever done, you have more peak potential than you’ve ever had.