Prep for First PL Meet

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've never competed in powerlifting before, but I have recently started turning an eye to doing a meet. I've been training for years (sports, primarily football), but have never specifically trained for the big 3 without doing loads of accessory work. My question is; if you have a solid training and nutrition plan in place, how long would you prep before your first meet?

I see there are a few local meets in August and October, I'm just unsure how long to give myself before taking a crack at it.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i spent 5 months for my first one. some go longer some go shorter. i only plan on 2 a year so i may go between 4-8 months for training for a meet. i have friends that have already done 3 meets this year and already have the next 2 in their plan.

at first i would say the experience is worth a shorter prep time in months. once you get more advanced gaining even a few lbs may take many months and then meets may only happen 2-3 times a year. just remember it is a skill. so maybe some meets for you are practice meets to grease the groove and not world record smashing events.

napalm

napalm

Awards
It took me 3 months training to get ready for my first meet. I'll probably stretch this out to 4 months for the next.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I completely agree with this. For your first meet I wouldn't OVER prep, and just do your best to go in relaxed and looking to have fun and get some baseline numbers. From there on out, you can start competing with yourself, and then that will sort of help dictate the downtime between meets.

i spent 5 months for my first one. some go longer some go shorter. i only plan on 2 a year so i may go between 4-8 months for training for a meet. i have friends that have already done 3 meets this year and already have the next 2 in their plan.

at first i would say the experience is worth a shorter prep time in months. once you get more advanced gaining even a few lbs may take many months and then meets may only happen 2-3 times a year. just remember it is a skill. so maybe some meets for you are practice meets to grease the groove and not world record smashing events.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The first one I could find locally is in August. That'll give me a few 5/3/1 cycles. :)

I wanted to compete at 242, but I just don't think I can get there.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I wouldn't bother hitting a weight class yet. Get ameet under your belt and then you'll start settling into where you are strongest over time.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think that's what I'll do. I'm usually around 269-270 at the end of the week (pre-refeed), and I'm pretty comfortable at this weight.

Don't know if I'm strong enough to be competitive, but I guess I'll find out. ;)

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
you are always strong enough to compete. you should only be worried about it if you are strong enough to beat your previous best.

Bimmerdan

Awards
This is my first post here, I just went through this a few months ago. You have some great advice, it's the experience not the numbers. Go in and hit your numbers and don't pay attention to the others. My heat had myself opening at 399 and another guy in the 1000 range. Just know this is a start. Also choose a opener you can get.
Don't be afraid to talk to the other guys, I found everyone very encouraging an willing to share advice.

Where are you going to compete at? I see your not to far from me.

bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
I too am looking too start my first meet and just wanted to say good luck too ya man!!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is my first post here, I just went through this a few months ago. You have some great advice, it's the experience not the numbers. Go in and hit your numbers and don't pay attention to the others. My heat had myself opening at 399 and another guy in the 1000 range. Just know this is a start. Also choose a opener you can get.
Don't be afraid to talk to the other guys, I found everyone very encouraging an willing to share advice.

Where are you going to compete at? I see your not to far from me.
There's an NASA meet in Springs (I think) that I have my eye on.

EDIT: I see you're in the promised land. Where in good ol NE are you?

Wygdwicfy

Awards
Dont over prep for your first meet. Dont kill yourself trying to make a weight and try not to be too competitve. A good goal going in would be to go 9/9. And you picked a great fed for a first meet. The guys at nasa are cool and supportive.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I didnt prep for my first meet. I just kept training normaly until I week out which I deloaded and do form/command work with my training partner. I believe for 5/3/1 jim says to do heavy singles and drop most assistence work for meet prep. Where I use the wcs and I just plugging away. Find someone who has done a meet bc itll be a huge help your first time out. If your raw imo its easier to prep then geared.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I didnt prep for my first meet. I just kept training normaly until I week out which I deloaded and do form/command work with my training partner. I believe for 5/3/1 jim says to do heavy singles and drop most assistence work for meet prep. Where I use the wcs and I just plugging away. Find someone who has done a meet bc itll be a huge help your first time out. If your raw imo its easier to prep then geared.
Yeah I'm just going to spend the next 3 months getting my diet right so I can stay under (but right at) 275 and get after 5/3/1 and conditioning.

The training part is going well, it's the nutrition that's being finicky right now. I keep dropping weight (262 now), even though I'm increasing my macros...but I guess I'd rather be a lean-ish 260 than a flabby 275.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I'm just going to spend the next 3 months getting my diet right so I can stay under (but right at) 275 and get after 5/3/1 and conditioning.

The training part is going well, it's the nutrition that's being finicky right now. I keep dropping weight (262 now), even though I'm increasing my macros...but I guess I'd rather be a lean-ish 260 than a flabby 275.
As long as training is going well, and you're getting stronger...your body weight is irrelevant for now. Once you settle into a weight class, get a meet or two under your belt and want to make your mark on it, then you can start fine tuning everything.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As long as training is going well, and you're getting stronger...your body weight is irrelevant for now. Once you settle into a weight class, get a meet or two under your belt and want to make your mark on it, then you can start fine tuning everything.
Fair enough, I'm sure I'm over thinking it...that's my curse. :D

wrench3521

Awards
All great advice. Spend some time in gear before if your using any, if not just train, deload and set your first real pr's.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I didnt prep for my first meet. I just followed my WSC style as planned. Deloaded the week before and worked on cues/technique work. Went to the meet and smashed a 15lb squat PR and did well overall. It was a great learning experience. Id say follow 3/5/1+singles if you train 5/3/1 and jump right on in!

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
Good luck, bro. It's going to be exciting for you as it was for me.

I first joined Team Mendy sometime in November, 2011 and my first meet was in March, 2012. If you have a team trainer/coach, he/she can tell you if they feel whether or not you're ready for the meet. In most case, they won't put much effort into you if they don't feel that you have what it take. So chances are, you're ready as long as you continue training hard for it without time off. I ended up taking a couple of months off recently and now I'm damn near training like a beginner with our team. But all and all, I will be ready for the Ca. State Championship and finish with a greater lift than my first meet.

power205

power205

NLA Performance Athlete
Awards
If you have a solid program and nutrition plan down i would do about 9 weeks of prep. Progress your way to peak at meet.. Dont go up to fast. Watch your percents. I would finish around 95% of 1RM 2 weeks out. Week before i would my openers and week of just sit back relax and get mentally ready!! Good luck , train safe~~

Jon M.
National and World Champion Powerlifter

NLA Performance: The Choice of Champions
www.nlaperformance.com
facebook.com/nlaperformance.com

power205

power205

NLA Performance Athlete
Awards
Do a prep meet in gym..

Do a 12 week program.... Go to gym and do a trail run.. get a feel of how body responds to the program.. Find a meet in your area.. Go to learn about the rules, see how it is run, meet some people.. Learn form them..

Then get yourself ready to do your own meet and SMASH WEIGHTS!!!!

Jon M
National and World Champion Powerlifter
Team Power & inTENsity

NLA Performance: The Choice of Champions
facebook.com/nlaperformance.com