ESPN is now officially SPIN MEDIA

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am specifically speaking of their piece on Arnold's stance on steroids.

I've never seen such a piece of complete utter spin-laden crap from ESPN. I used to think these guys were above spinning the facts to manufacture stories but apparently they care nothing about the truth.

I have a newfound distaste for ESPN and their obvious lack of class and would like to see their kind rot in the same hell with the rest of the scare-tactic media whores that claim to report "the news".

:rant:

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
They are not "sports news" anymore but just like others including many of the news shows, they are entertainment now. Their priorities are ratings, not the actual news.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
For God's sake don't start to think about how medicated, fat, and uneducated those bastards on capitol hill are. Oh how I'd like to do the Potomic Two-step up and down their faces. :rasp:

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Yep, I just go to them for the little scoreboard ticker at the bottom. They are "sports entertainment". By the way oldfart- If that's you in your avatar, you looked jacked for your age(not that it's THAT old:D ). Better than alot of guys half your age!

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It pissed me off as well. The senator that's speaking out against Arnold is angry b/c he wanted material about Peformance Enhancing Supplements i.e. creatine and the like stricken from the bill. Arnold, however, supported the part of the bill that was for steroids. On ESPN's piece today they painted a picture to say that Arnold vetoed the bill b/c of the steroid issue.

Drives me crazy, and ppl eat this up!!!

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yep, I just go to them for the little scoreboard ticker at the bottom. They are "sports entertainment". By the way oldfart- If that's you in your avatar, you looked jacked for your age(not that it's THAT old:D ). Better than alot of guys half your age!
Thanks very much!

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
Yep, I just go to them for the little scoreboard ticker at the bottom
grab ya the BottomLine prog and just run it on the pc, no need to even visit that BS station anymore... no more NFL Countdown anyway :D

I was shocked at the stance taken in the piece as well, had much the same reaction

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I caught a few minutes of it while I was at the gym..yeah they have TV everywhere, I hate it. It struck me how totally ignorant it was. The section about the Arnold Classic where "..one of the 14 invitees had admitted to using steroids.."

Helllllooooooo?! Only one of them? Yeah, so many natty 310 pound guys with 6 % bodyfat running around.

And then that CA bill wanting to spend money to train coaches about all performance enhancing supps..it's a waste of money and has nothing to do with Arnold using AAS. Frickin idiots.

Brock Landers

Awards
the funny thing is that With this Barry Bonds - Steroids thing, no one recognizes that it was not against league policy a few years back to use steroids. Coke, Meth, Pot yes, but performance enhancing drugs it was not. I really dont think he did anything that all of us here wouldn't do? I know I would......

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
actually felt bad for weider being put in that awkward situation, made me feel like they were trying to blame peoples' increasing awareness with pro sports steroid use solely on bodybuilding culture, like at this point it's somehow separate and/or worse. unfortunate too that, as usual there are dozens of REAL public health issues that undoubtedly take precedent over some stupid **** like this.

but while i'm thinking about it, those ray lewis/brian dawkins types need to step up and affect some change because all they're doing is influencing impressionable young people to run skull first into stuff as hard as they can... and that's just dangerous, irresponsible and wrong.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
It is a dilemma indeed. I can't simply "not watch" ESPN, yet I am in agreement with what has been discussed...

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The thing that really starts to rub me the wrong way is this:

Half the reporters and personalities working for ESPN seem to look at pro and especially college sports with this kid-like nostalgia assuming that a player's love for the game is the only real reason he/she should be competing.

They present this idea that, even though players salaries are in the millions, that sports is only secondarily a business. People need to wake up and realize how much money we pour into sports day in day out and how lucrative a business it is for so many athletes, coaches and networks.

And hey, ESPN! Guess what! When there's millions per year in it for the athletes don't you think they're going to do all they can to be all they can be? Wake up! You (ESPN) carry live telecasts of all major sporting events. You are one of the main reasons sports is so popular and athletes make so much money.

Are steroids really a problem ESPN? If they are than you can wipeout every NFL season for the last 20 years because, according to your views, they were tainted by heavy steroid use among players. Wake up! Don't play innocent. You helped create this environment.

Yes, steroids in the wrong hands is a problem. But so is alcohol and cigarrettes. Kids abuse those much more than steroids. If you really want to save lives ESPN concentrate on that. You'll save 1000's more lives.

But above all. Don't play this pretentious innocent school-boy bullshit! You know steroids are there. You've always known they were there. But you play innocent and point fingers at people like Arnold and run prick-like stories like this to hopefully distance yourselves from what you helped create.

This whole BALCO scandal and general steroid scare (as well as the supplement scare) is predicated on ignorance. Ignorance of not only what steroids and supplements are and what they do. But how everyone has all but forced athletes of almost all types to make the practically no-brainer decision to use them to make their fortune. And make their fortune at progressively younger and younger ages each year.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I guess the that old witch Senator got what she wanted, TV time. Only reason she did this is because her gov. is Arnold and the hot steroid topic. She doesn't really give a **** about it fella's. I know everyone is mad and god knows I am about all this **** but it's the hot topic right now and unfortunately the Canseco book kicked things back into high gear. Let's weather the storm and forge on brothers.

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I guess the that old witch Senator got what she wanted, TV time. Only reason she did this is because her gov. is Arnold and the hot steroid topic. She doesn't really give a **** about it fella's. I know everyone is mad and god knows I am about all this **** but it's the hot topic right now and unfortunately the Canseco book kicked things back into high gear. Let's weather the storm and forge on brothers.
Exactly!

She is probably in pharmas pockets anyway. What a cunt!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
And then that CA bill wanting to spend money to train coaches about all performance enhancing supps..it's a waste of money and has nothing to do with Arnold using AAS. Frickin idiots.
That lady proposing the bill needs to be kicked out of office, California schools have HUGE issues with academics and administration. Tackle that crap and let the coaches coach.

Right now attacking performance enhancing drugs is the cool thing to do and ESPN is leading the march, I'm still appalled that Woody Page said he could smell the steroids in Lyle Alzado

I also find it crazy when they praise an athlete for NOT beating his wife anymore, NOT doing cocaine/meth or other rec drugs, NOT getting in trouble w/the law, but they'll crucify anyone who uses roids safely.