Evidence for peripheral plasticity in human odour response

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
Original here

Evidence for peripheral plasticity in human odour response

Of those people who are anosmic to androstenone, a proportion can acquire sensitivity to it by repeated exposure and even those who are able to smell it can lower their threshold with this treatment. Using olfactory threshold testing, intranasal electrophysiology and EEG we show for the first time that: (1) the subjects' detection threshold is proportional to the amplitude of the olfactory evoked potential (EOG) recorded inside the nose; (2) the EOG amplitude is correlated with the amplitude of the olfactory event-related potential (OERP) recorded on the scalp; and (3) with repetitive exposure, human subjects acquire a reduced threshold for androstenone and, as they do so, their EOG and OERP increase. These observations support the existence of odourant-specific plasticity in the peripheral olfactory system.
Evidence that suggests those that are repeatedly exposed to pheromones may develop an increased sensitivity! This would explain the timeframe of sometimes weeks before results are obtained from the day-to-day crowd (like co-workers) whereas at the club it is more hit and miss (most likely from those that are ovulating).

Thoughts?

Chemo

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I think that basically since we are dealing with the human animal that washes away a good percentage of our phermones everyday that we, as a species have desensitized ourselves to Pmones.

My theory is that adding higher levels of Pmones back into the picture/social system is either going to;

A.) Have an immediate effect on subjects who are still sensitized and/or receptive to Pmones such as ovulating women.

B.) Not immediately "percieved" by individuals who have lost Pmone sensitivity due to extended periods of reduced or lacking exposure to pmones.

Basically I'm thinking that the receptors in the vomero-nasal region and elsewhere need time to wake up and reacquaint themselves to powerful levels of pmones. Since we shower everyday and wear a barrage of different chemical odors on our bodies our Pmone receptors shutdown/lose sensitivity or basically stop playing much of a role in the life of modern humans.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Oh, and I forgot to add something innane and childish..

Smell my finger!

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
hehehehe...your thoughts are aligned with my own.

Chemo