Jim's Vegan Peanut Butter Delight Review

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok, so LTL and PES sent me a tub of the new flavor of Vegan Select to review. I have now used it 6 different times, mostly as a shake (because that is how I use protein powder), and feel comfortable giving a review of the flavor.

This is the only Vegan protein I have tried and it is also the only peanut flavor of protein I have tried.

In fact, I am not really a big fan of peanut butter as a food option.

I will be reviewing the taste and mixability in skim milk, water, and greek yogurt in comparison to the regular select protein.

Opening the Tub:

The powder looks like any other protein powder I have tried; however, the smell is not appetizing at all.

20170715_202045.jpg

Mixability:

The powder actually mixes very well IMO. I wasn't sure what to expect because I do not believe the Select mixes as well as other protein powders I have tried, but it really does mix well in just a shaker.

20170715_202054.jpg

The consistency is smooth, but it does leave a graininess in the cup after drinking it.

20170715_202202.jpg

I didn't notice any graininess while drinking it though. The pictures are 1 scoop mixed with approximately 6oz of skim milk.

I have found that it needs to be consumed quickly after mixing, or the powder will settle at the bottom of the cup. It is hard to remix in a shaker after it settles on the bottom.

Yogurt:

20170715_202216.jpg

It mixes without clumpiness in Greek Yogurt (plain) as well. However, it is very, very thick. I don't typically eat Greek Yogurt, but I tried mixing 1/2 scoop with a little over 5oz of yogurt today.

20170715_202446.jpg

It almost took on a peanut butter consistency. Seriously, it is very thick.

Taste:

Well, this is what we are here for isn't it?

My first shake with the protein was 1 scoop with 1 cup of skim milk, and I was really not very impressed. It didn't have any sweetness like I would expect with a peanut butter, and tasted more like just peanut flavor. The aftertaste wasn't "bad," but it was very odd.

Typically, when I drink protein, I have 1 scoop in a meal with a serving of cereal immediately post workout. I split 8oz of milk between the two, so I pour 3oz or so into the bowl of cereal and eat that first, and then I pour the leftover milk in with my shake.

I think this has actually been to my benefit with the protein. The little bit of added sweetness has seemed to help enhance the flavor for me.

Now, without this extra sweetness the flavor is still similar, but their is a more bland aftertaste. The extra sweetness seems to get rid of the aftertaste entirely. I have also been shaking the tub before uses, and this does seem to help improve the flavor.

This method of mixing makes it much less like a peanut and much more like a peanut butter. I think that 1/2 scoop of chocolate and 1/2 scoop of the peanut butter delight would make for a very enjoyable protein shake.

I have also made it with 8oz of water in a pinch and would not recommend that. It still mixes well, but it has an almost earthy flavor when not mixed with milk.

Full Disclosure: I do not care for protein with water at all.

Yogurt:

This flavor ranges from just drinkable to pretty good when mixed with milk; however, it is not even edible when mixed with plain greek yogurt. I'll leave it there because I can't add anything else. I literally could not eat more than a bite or two this way.

Overall:

I don't have anything to compare this too besides regular milk proteins, so it is at a bit of a disadvantage there. With all of that said, I think it is pretty good for what it is. I will not sit here and say it is as good as regular select, but it is better than some other whey proteins that I have tried. I would likely not buy this, because there are better options for me as a nonvegan (regular select being one); however, I will not have any issues drinking what I already have. It is not unenjoyable for me to drink as is, and, based upon the feedback I have seen, that is probably leagues ahead of the other vegan proteins on the market.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok, so LTL and PES sent me a tub of the new flavor of Vegan Select to review. I have now used it 6 different times, mostly as a shake (because that is how I use protein powder), and feel comfortable giving a review of the flavor.

This is the only Vegan protein I have tried and it is also the only peanut flavor of protein I have tried.

In fact, I am not really a big fan of peanut butter as a food option.

I will be reviewing the taste and mixability in skim milk, water, and greek yogurt in comparison to the regular select protein.

Opening the Tub:

The powder looks like any other protein powder I have tried; however, the smell is not appetizing at all.

View attachment 151303

Mixability:

The powder actually mixes very well IMO. I wasn't sure what to expect because I do not believe the Select mixes as well as other protein powders I have tried, but it really does mix well in just a shaker.

View attachment 151302

The consistency is smooth, but it does leave a graininess in the cup after drinking it.

View attachment 151304

I didn't notice any graininess while drinking it though. The pictures are 1 scoop mixed with approximately 6oz of skim milk.

I have found that it needs to be consumed quickly after mixing, or the powder will settle at the bottom of the cup. It is hard to remix in a shaker after it settles on the bottom.

Yogurt:

View attachment 151305

It mixes without clumpiness in Greek Yogurt (plain) as well. However, it is very, very thick. I don't typically eat Greek Yogurt, but I tried mixing 1/2 scoop with a little over 5oz of yogurt today.

View attachment 151306

It almost took on a peanut butter consistency. Seriously, it is very thick.

Taste:

Well, this is what we are here for isn't it?

My first shake with the protein was 1 scoop with 1 cup of skim milk, and I was really not very impressed. It didn't have any sweetness like I would expect with a peanut butter, and tasted more like just peanut flavor. The aftertaste wasn't "bad," but it was very odd.

Typically, when I drink protein, I have 1 scoop in a meal with a serving of cereal immediately post workout. I split 8oz of milk between the two, so I pour 3oz or so into the bowl of cereal and eat that first, and then I pour the leftover milk in with my shake.

I think this has actually been to my benefit with the protein. The little bit of added sweetness has seemed to help enhance the flavor for me.

Now, without this extra sweetness the flavor is still similar, but their is a more bland aftertaste. The extra sweetness seems to get rid of the aftertaste entirely. I have also been shaking the tub before uses, and this does seem to help improve the flavor.

This method of mixing makes it much less like a peanut and much more like a peanut butter. I think that 1/2 scoop of chocolate and 1/2 scoop of the peanut butter delight would make for a very enjoyable protein shake.

I have also made it with 8oz of water in a pinch and would not recommend that. It still mixes well, but it has an almost earthy flavor when not mixed with milk.

Full Disclosure: I do not care for protein with water at all.

Yogurt:

This flavor ranges from just drinkable to pretty good when mixed with milk; however, it is not even edible when mixed with plain greek yogurt. I'll leave it there because I can't add anything else. I literally could not eat more than a bite or two this way.

Overall:

I don't have anything to compare this too besides regular milk proteins, so it is at a bit of a disadvantage there. With all of that said, I think it is pretty good for what it is. I will not sit here and say it is as good as regular select, but it is better than some other whey proteins that I have tried. I would likely not buy this, because there are better options for me as a nonvegan (regular select being one); however, I will not have any issues drinking what I already have. It is not unenjoyable for me to drink as is, and, based upon the feedback I have seen, that is probably leagues ahead of the other vegan proteins on the market.
Thanks a bunch for throwing this up bro. Vegan protein is definitely very different in flavor and consistency. It was difficult to create something that was tolerable but I personally do enjoy this flavor over our Berry flavor. Thanks again Jim.