Provigil (Modafinil)

jdev

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone had any experience with this drug? I am looking into it to use as I am in school and don't get enough sleep. My sleep schedule is pretty messed up.

Has anyone here had any experience with it?

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
It's used for serious sleep disorders. I was told by my sleep doc that it was developed in conjunction with the military for extended flight operations.

It is supposed to keep you alert but not interfere with the regular sleep modes when you can finally rest.

Also used by people who do shift work (especially those who have rotating shifts).

I tried it a couple of years ago but stopped and I honestly don't remeber why. Idon't remember if it was side effects or that it didn't do a whole lot for me. I am a non-responder/reverse repsonse to a lot meds. To much fun in the 70's (I think it was the 70's, I don't remember).

I don't know if it would help in your situation or not. There is a big difference between being awake and being able to study then regurgitate what you studied when needed.

Sorry if this doesn't help..

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established

800mrunner

Banned
Awards
ADD IS A BULL S H I T CONDITION!!!!!!

its called lazienss and not willing to make your self focus....

i have "ADD" and am prescribed adderall. im sick of people claiming they need SPEED or need a drug to function. i hardly ever take my adderall, but its nice to have it.

sure i cant focus always but i dont blame that on some stupid condition someone made up for those people who are just lazy... They have to make a name for it becuase the FDA wont let a drug company make a drug for plain laziness. So its call ADD.

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established

i have "ADD" and am prescribed adderall. im sick of people claiming they need SPEED or need a drug to function. i hardly ever take my adderall, but its nice to have it.

sure i cant focus always but i dont blame that on some stupid condition someone made up for those people who are just lazy... They have to make a name for it becuase the FDA wont let a drug company make a drug for plain laziness. So its call ADD.

What sort of medical background do you have Tom Cruise?

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
well im a paramedic and i agree that ADD is somewhat a cop out and most physicians are leading away from control medication diagnosis. Instead they are workin on ways to teach the individual how to self treat.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

sure i cant focus always but i dont blame that on some stupid condition someone made up for those people who are just lazy... They have to make a name for it becuase the FDA wont let a drug company make a drug for plain laziness. So its call ADD.[/QUOTE]

I bet if they could have thought of something that when put together spelled LAZY they would have :twisted:

I was diagnosed with Territs, ADD and some other thing that made it very hard to remember things in chronological order..
The terrets I honestly had bad- If it's true you can't grow out of it, then I obviously found a way to stop all those annoying ticks..
The ADD thing,.. I took meds for that; Ritalin. Did it help- NOT THEN. I slept through a year of school basicly.
(but I feel like doing homework if I take it now, and Im not in schol :p)
The truth was,.. something was not working for me "natturally". To treat something, you have to know what it is, and that involves giving it a name.

My only problem comes with Blaming something on a condition that is only limiting, and not crippleing (in most cases).
Lol- And I don't know any ADD people that are LAZY. Their all crackheads

IS ADD a B.S condition?.. That's not the right question.
We make glasses for people that have trouble seeing.
Asprin for headaches
Protein for bodybuilders who can't eat enough solid food
thermo's for those who need help loosing weight and...
Adderall/Ritalin for those who have trouble concentrating.
( How would you expect to focous on making yourself focous if you have trouble focousing! :eek: )

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established

People with ADD can't focus because their minds are like a TV set and someone else has the remote and keeps changing the channel. I suspect, but can't prove that it is probably a lesser condition of dyslexia ansd autism. I suppose those are BS too.
Most people with true ADD also have anger control issues. There is no mechanism in their brain that allows them to think through or take a second and take a breath to think before they lose their tempers. Anger for them is like falling off of a cliff. You have already hit the bottom before you even know you got angry and then it is too late and the damage is already done.
I suspect that we will eventually learn that all of these conditions are brought on by someting like flouride in drinking water or pesticides in our food.

BUT, if you can say that ADD is a bull**** condition or it is just laziness, then you don't have it.

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
Also alot of ADD sufferers really don't have ADD.*Were not talking the lazy ones* We are talking people with bad diets, bad sleeping habits or super mental stress. Those also cause ADD like symtoms, where real ADD all those things can be lined up(proper sleep, diet, and stress setting) and still have problems.

800mrunner

Banned
Awards
dr. lift a lot....a major in business and a minor in pre med/biology...

thats the background i have.

and dont ever call me some faggots name again.

no, i dont think you understand.... speed is going to help anyone focus better...even those without add. these conditions could be brought on by something that we eat or drink, but more than likely its differences in dopamine and the amount of recepters we each have in our own brains.

the only reason i call add a bs condition is becuase docs prescribe speed for the treatment. man, great, but speed just releases your dopamine quicker and in the long run depletes you of that necessary chemical... which is why many get the "down" feeling after beeing on it for extended periods of time. i believe there are other ways of teating this condition. its not really laziness, your right, but i feel like people are prescribed speed and dont even need it 80% of the time. there are other options now like strattera and a few others, but many dont like them becuase they dont have the speed feel to them.

add is a condition, and i still believe its a bull s h i t condition only due to the way people go about saying, "oh man, they must have add they cant pay attention in class." many will argue with me to the moon and back, but i have "add" and i didnt have to go through all the phases many have to i just talked to my doc and he gave me the meds, but i only use about 60 pills over about 4 months.

i dont think speed should be combined into anyone's life in a every day routine just so they can "feel right"...or pay attention better.... get what im saying?....i just think there are other ways about treating this and speed is not the answer yet.

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
C'mon, Tom Cruise isn't gay. He just married a Katy to prove it.

I think I'm starting to see your point about ADD. You just worded it wrong. I tried the speed route and I didn't like it at all. I seem to get much better relief from cabaser (cabergoline).

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
dr. lift a lot....a major in business and a minor in pre med/biology...

thats the background i have.

no, i dont think you understand.... speed is going to help anyone focus better...even those without add. these conditions could be brought on by something that we eat or drink, but more than likely its differences in dopamine and the amount of recepters we each have in our own brains.

the only reason i call add a bs condition is becuase docs prescribe speed for the treatment. man, great, but speed just releases your dopamine quicker and in the long run depletes you of that necessary chemical... which is why many get the "down" feeling after beeing on it for extended periods of time. i believe there are other ways of teating this condition. its not really laziness, your right, but i feel like people are prescribed speed and dont even need it 80% of the time. there are other options now like strattera and a few others, but many dont like them becuase they dont have the speed feel to them.

add is a condition, and i still believe its a bull s h i t condition only due to the way people go about saying, "oh man, they must have add they cant pay attention in class." many will argue with me to the moon and back, but i have "add" and i didnt have to go through all the phases many have to i just talked to my doc and he gave me the meds, but i only use about 60 pills over about 4 months.

i dont think speed should be combined into anyone's life in a every day routine just so they can "feel right"...or pay attention better.... get what im saying?....i just think there are other ways about treating this and speed is not the answer yet.

Sorry about the heist in calling you Tom Cruise, you just came across quick without reason behind your post. I agree with what your saying, but there are some people with the disorder who medically have nothing wrong with there diet or sleep/eating pattern. These individuals need medication, i also agree with allot of people suffering from ADHD symptoms but not having ADHD, or having in the lose terminology, these people are suffering from a bad lifestyle or other problems and doctors are too quick to rule out this possibility of diet,exercise and sleep. Which IMHO would eliminate many of the cases of ADD/ADHD that we see in todays society. For the rest medical options outside of amphetamines/salts are out there. What does the trick for me is provigil. But it may not work for others, the reason i jumped the gun on you was due to the fact that i suffer ADHD and i am not a Lazy ASS. In fact quiet the contrary, I work, and study full time at university and have had this problem for a long time. My diet and sleep are perfect, and with the combination of research and everything I've listed above I've been able to concur ADD. There was a time i was proscribed Adderal, Ritilin, Setera. I was quick to not use these after reading studies and feeling the effects first hand. Anyways, ADD/ADHD is a real, but rare problem. Most people as you noted fall somewhere between lazy or have any of the other problems(Sleep,Nutrition,Exercise) out of wack.

Dr liftalot

airpig

Awards
It has worked great for me. I had some 200mg pills, the only problem is is that i had to take it early(around 8-10am) or else I would be up all night and would not be able to go to sleep. So the whole thing about not messing up your existing sleeping patterns proved false for me. Also, I dont have ADD or atleast i dont know if i do, but it increased my ability to focus even when I had tons of different stuff to get done(ie work,finals, papers due). I think it is definitely worth the investment but wouldnt take it everyday, just when you know that you have tons of stuff to get done.

Fastflight

Fastflight

Awards
  • Established
It´s true, we´re treating a condition, that´s ´caused by an abnormal conditioning of young people -sitting in classeshour after hour, learning something they really don´t understand,
just eexecute an drepeat, fighting their hormones, theri natural, their curuoisity and thus, they get aggressive, agitated, unconcentrated or they wind themselves up in their thoughts and dreamworld, unanble to concentrate, bnut looking neat and quiet.

And I don´t think this condition could be treated without speed.. unlesss you provide those a trainigcamp and a teacher teaching to their momentary interest.

Maybe a compromise of this two speed/individual teaching&training would be great (think of overcoming the overweightes generation issue...) I think some could learn more in 30 min., than they do in half a year of classes, and these 30 min will grow to hours, weeks, months and so, they´d be up to all the others and maybe even farther, cause ADD isn´t a disadvanteage it can be the opposite of a disadvantage, if you theach them to use it properly and let them use it... often those are the ones taking the well calculated the risks on their very own pahtways and thus making the breakthrough for the whole lot.

gobig1

Awards
What was the original topic of this thread.....oh yeah, provigil. I've used it at 400mg per day, definitely noted an improved overall feeling of wellness and alertness, not a ECA stack type of feeling, just a good alert, energized feeling that lasted and lasted and lasted. Generally took the entire 400mg around 9-10am and felt the effects for 10-12 hours. The one thing I noticed was after about 15 days of using it everyday straight, the effects started to become less noticeable. Maybe I was getting used to the feeling and didn't consciously notice a change, so I stopped and now only use it when necessary or needing a boost to make it through a long night of debauchery.

GOBIG

wideguy

wideguy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Alot of things strike me as odd about this post.

First off has anyone really looked into the side affects of this product? I noticed that someone has looked into it enought to know that it was originally developed for use in the military and supposedly doesn't interfere with our bodie's natural sleep cycle when it does come time to hit the hay.

Then the post seemed to naturally turn to the ADD debate B*ull*hit VS. True. In the end there my conculsion and what seemed to be the unanimous (sp?) decision was that there are alot more lazy A hwypes who will depend on greedy doctors and big pharma to sell them drugs vs people who actually have the true condidition and need the drug treatments. Also let's not forgot those of whom actually have lifestyle habbits that promote the expression of the symptoms of the disorder perhaps leading to one actually developing the full blown disorder, in this case ADD but the trend goes across the boards. This is the same thing that happens in all areas of life where westernized medical treatment can be applied, or in other words drugs can be sold.

Or like Flossy pointed out.

1. We make glasses for people that have trouble seeing.
Asprin for headaches
Protein for bodybuilders who can't eat enough solid food
thermo's for those who need help loosing weight and...
Adderall/Ritalin for those who have trouble concentrating.

To add to that it's like lipotor for those of us who just dont' care to eat clean and hate exercise but love to stress out all day at work while robbing other people of their hard earned money while nowing that they've sold their soul for the almight buck but that's okay because they're RICH BEA YOTCH!

Fastflight where you trying to show us how you type without your meds on that post there? LOL just being a J.O. bro, and breaking your balls. You actually brought up some good points there, sounds like child Psych?

BTW the sides are chest pain, fast/irregular pulse, vision changes, increased thirst/urination, trouble with urination, trouble with ejaculation, unusual muscle weakness or stiffness, muscle tingling or twitching. In the unlikely event you have an allergic reaction to this medication, seek immediate medical attention. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, trouble breathing.

I've used no more then 100 mg a day around 8 am typically but once or twice taken it around noon and could sleep no problem that night. Never noticed any sides to think and the effects weren't that intense. 400 mg seemed like alot but from what I've read doses that high are well tolerated but the opitimal dose seems to be around 200 mg.

jermcpicky

Awards
Adderall is one of the worst drugs out there, but it is the fault of humans and simply because it is too effective! In college, there are so many kids who are lazy 95% of the time and then they buy some Adderall off of their buddy, stay up all night studying, retain most of that info, and ace a test. They won't know about that stuff a week from now, but they were tweaked enough to get it solid into the short-term memory. I don't have a problem with people getting good grades, but I just see this drug over and over and over again being ABUSED as an academic performance enhancer. For those of us that need to make very good grades to get to where we want to be (in my case, medical school), then it is a huge temptation to use these drugs. I have in the past and I feel bad about it now; like I didn't really deserve the high grade I got, ya know? Point is: In a perfect world, only people that REALLY need this stuff should be the only ones with access to it. I agree very much with the laziness comment and also have sympathy for those that might actually need it. I just feel that the ratio of number of people prescribed this to number of people that need it has got to be huge! I dunno, maybe 30?! Hah, I dunno. Ticks me off when I know someone is tweaking and doing organic chemistry! This stuff takes patience to learn and that pill just makes it too easy. No fair! Wah! Wah!

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
Adderall is methamphetamine basically along with Ritalin. Ritalin is slightly more like regular amphetamine though. Either way they're AWFUL for your cardiovascular system. Just like cocaine - if you take a hefty dose of speed (amphetamines, meth, coke) just once in your life & never again you'll still have a 80% higher chance of dying from a heart attack for the rest of your time on earth. Modafinal isn't too bad though. It's not a schedule II controlled substance like Adderall or Ritalin. It makes you more alert in the brain without negatively affecting your heart like amphetamines. It's also not super addictive like Adderall or Ritalin because it's not so euphoric.

Fastflight

Fastflight

Awards
  • Established
I don´t think it´s cheating, from my studies in pub-med it´s actually beneficial for long term memory, too.

I´m prescribed an opiate which has dopamine releasing properties, too and I´m able learn a whole lot better and retain the info long time, not only because my chronic pain is gone, there´s somethign about dopamine and serotonine that causes information to be taken up more rapidly and retain ing it better, like it´s something you really like and want to remember. And guess what, I take it again and I remember all the stuff I´ve learned (this time probably mostly because of pain-supression and to an lesser extend because of the dopamine and serotonine)

Neuron

Neuron

Awards
Has anyone had any experience with this drug? I am looking into it to use as I am in school and don't get enough sleep. My sleep schedule is pretty messed up.

I bought some online awhile ago and had excellent experience using it for alertness and staying up all night when I need to.

dahbuldee

Awards
Back on topic: This is an interesting chemcial.

I think it has a lot of potential for alertness and general mood arousal. I took it for about 6 months and it worked great: plenty of energy for work and exercise, no crash or jitters like caffeine, mild changes in HR and BP, a very powerful sense of alertness, and no problems sleeping. Sometimes it made me feel cheerful and others times straight up impatient and irritable.
The main problems I found were that it lost 90% of its effectiveness after about 3 days and any additional dosing in the PM had negligible effect. Maybe whatever liver enzymes that process it for me are very active.

What did work for me was a 3 or 4 day cycle during the week: something like 100/100/200/200 or 100/100/100/200. I didn't feel any type of addiction or tolerance developing with this. On the off days, I felt fine provided I'd had enough sleep.

It's not for everyone, though. Headache and nausea as side effects seem to be common. I got those experimenting above 400mg and the feeling sucked.

And to the OP's problem: it is no more a substitute for sleep than caffeine. You will still be sleep deprived. Provigil will mask most of the physical and some of the mental symptoms of exhaustion, but they will catch up with you. Better than amphetamines though, because if you can always sleep if you want to.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established

Do you see the irony in your own post?

krazy

Awards
rofl.

Anyone in this thread who thinks ADD is a bullshit, non-existant, or otherwise untreatable condition is a misinformed fool.

800mrunner, you sir, are a tard. An ADD one, at that.

bassgod272

Awards
  • Established
rofl.

Anyone in this thread who thinks ADD is a bullshit, non-existant, or otherwise untreatable condition is a misinformed fool.

800mrunner, you sir, are a tard. An ADD one, at that.
i actually semi-agree with him. i dispense adderall, ritalin, concerta, etc to patients everyday. 98% of them are little kids who are like 6yrs old. While they're in the waiting room while we fill the medication, the parents are yelling at them and they're misbehaving and doing all inds of sh!t that i'd NEVER let my kid do if I had one. children's parents play a LARGE role in the ADD epidemic we are having. they are not disciplining, or do not know how to discipline their children, so they say the kid has ADD cuz he is bad and gets in trouble in school, goofs off, etc. ALL kids do that. you just have to discipline them and make them learn that they cannot act in such a manner. I also dispense these medicines to older people in their 40's and 50's. often times out of nowhere, it'll be a brand new med they're prescribed. i'm sorry, but you cannot just out of the blue get ADD. especially at that age. you would've known a long time ago if you had it or not. sorry for the rant, but i see this stuff every single day.

BigManDon

Awards

I've taken provigil and it works great. Problem is, if you take the whole pill, it will keep you up way too long..
:fool2:
Take a half and it will get the job done. It doesn't give you the jitters either like caffine would.

texxlnghorn

Awards
yea, i would take it.
I take it almost daily. IT's completly different from ADD drugs.
It's psych-stimulant, which wakes you up, you feel like you have had the best nights sleep, and it doesn't effect your CNS.

ludacris007

ludacris007

Awards
  • Established
i like it much better than adderall/concerta/ritalin. it is much smoother and no crash. the crash on adderall is crippling. i love this stuff on my overnight calls. i stay up 30 plus hrs with 1 200 mg pill and have no problems.

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
Ive used provigil a ton....I work swing shift, and I initially started using it because I would often be up for literally 24-36 hours....I dont tolerate stimulants like ephedrine very well at all....This works entirely via a different pathway. There is no stimulant like feel when your on it. You simply are more alert and stay focused a little better. I think its fantastic, HOWEVER I do know that I crash when I come down...if Im driving home from work I can sometimes hardly stay awake.

An interesting aside...The FDA and USOC didnt know anything about this until they raided Conte. Conte had some on hand because Pat Arnold had recommened it to him...As soon as they saw it, they immediately threw it on the watch list.

holy

dpfisher

I've used it for shift work and changing my sleep schedule. You develop a tolerance quickly with regular use, so that the effects become shorter and shorter. It's not good as a replacement for sleep forever and you have to catch up still but if you need to be awake one more day then it's ok.

CygonX

Awards
I have been using Modafanil for years, that and the cheaper (that doesn't work so well) Adrafanil. No side effects, and nothing but nice things to say about it. If you absolutely have to stay up past 24-Hours, or have to be effective on damn little sleep, Modafanil trumps caffeine and amphetamines. No crash, no shakes, no jitters, you just turn off that little part of the brain that keeps reminding you to sleep. I use Melatonin and Modafanil to control sleep, as needed: versus as the sun comes up or goes down. You can successfully stay awake for several days on Modafanil and still been fairly effective. Provided you adjust your diet to fuel the body accordingly of course. I love the stuff.

Foolish

Awards
Adderall is methamphetamine basically along with Ritalin.
Aderall is a racemic mixture of amphetamine, both the dextro and levo isomer, in the xr version they use various salts and microencapsulation to prolong effects. There is prescription methamphetamine, its called desoxyn, its used to treat narcolepsy mainly, the same thing modafinil is used for.
Ritalin is slightly more like regular amphetamine though.
Ritalin is methylphenidate, a drug that is not amphetamine or methamphetamine, but a subsituted phenylethylamine by definition.
Either way they're AWFUL for your cardiovascular system.
They certainly aren't sunshine and fish oils.
Just like cocaine - if you take a hefty dose of speed (amphetamines, meth, coke) just once in your life & never again you'll still have a 80% higher chance of dying from a heart attack for the rest of your time on earth.
where the **** did you get that information from? I'm calling bullshit fear mongering.
Modafinal isn't too bad though. It's not a schedule II controlled substance like Adderall or Ritalin. It makes you more alert in the brain without negatively affecting your heart like amphetamines. It's also not super addictive like Adderall or Ritalin because it's not so euphoric.
you are a complete retard. You should kill yourself for being so ignorant.

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
Ritalin is methylphenidate, a drug that is not amphetamine or methamphetamine, but a subsituted phenylethylamine by definition.
Just curious. How would this show up on a drug test?

Foolish

Awards
haha just curious. It would most likely show up as methamphetamine since they have some similar downstream metabolites, I know that I friend of mine who takes focalin (dexmethylphenidate) tests positive for speed.

frozencore12

Awards
I consider it a weak to moderate effector on the arousal/drowsy axis. Yet its optimal use lies elsewhere. It would be interesting to see an fMRI study...I mean there is something going on with it but I don't think it is as nearly as activating of the frontal lobe as methylphenidate or amphetamine.