IC Etodolac... any help?

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I went to the doc the other day beacuse I have been having pain in my left trap/right knee. He gave me a scrip for IC Etodolac (dont know what the common name is)

I have a few questions on it

1)Is this anti-anabolic in any way?

2)The bottle says "may cause drowsieness." How long will this last? The pain isnt that bad to where I would need it every day. I was wondering if I took it on off days if it would make me less energetic the next day at the gym.

Thanks for any help.

aequitas

aequitas

Awards
Etodolac is generic for Lodine. It is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent. Ibuprofen (advil/motrin) and naproxen (aleve) are also in this class. As far as your questions....

1) there are studies that have shown that ibuprofen causes a decrease in protein synthesis, so is it anti-anabolic? yes, to a certain extent. depending on how bad your injuries are i would suggest taking a week off and using the etodolac as suggested by your physician until you feel better.

2) drowsiness is a rare occurance. if you have taken advil before and not experienced drowsiness you most likely wont. but just try one at some point in the day when you have nothing going on just to make sure.

hope this helps

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Etodolac is generic for Lodine. It is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent. Ibuprofen (advil/motrin) and naproxen (aleve) are also in this class. As far as your questions....

1) there are studies that have shown that ibuprofen causes a decrease in protein synthesis, so is it anti-anabolic? yes, to a certain extent. depending on how bad your injuries are i would suggest taking a week off and using the etodolac as suggested by your physician until you feel better.

2) drowsiness is a rare occurance. if you have taken advil before and not experienced drowsiness you most likely wont. but just try one at some point in the day when you have nothing going on just to make sure.

hope this helps
Thanks dude

Anythign I can get perscribed that isnt anti-anabolic at all?

aequitas

aequitas

Awards
Any drug from this class (NSAIDs) will decrease protein synthesis in skeletal muscle to some extent. But the main thing to note is that these studies did not show what real world application this has, as far as muscle growth. One could imagine it would be anti-anabolic from these findings but it is not known how much that effects muscle growth. So its more of a "do the benifits outweigh the risks" issue.
If it is muscle they could possibly prescribe a muscle relaxant, but most of these cause drowsiness. Soma (carisprodol) is a muscle relaxant that ive used and works great. As far as your knee, cissus rx is great for joints as well as a high quality fish/flax oil.