Do anti-anxiety type meds lower cortisol?

rkretz

Awards
Ive been using supplements to try and lower cortisol and they seem to help with stress etc. like designer supplements lean xtreme but im also taking klonopin and have taken xanax. Do these type of medications also lower cortisol levels? I read somewhere about some antidepresents doing this. If anyone knows about cortisol lowering meds let me know it seems to help sleep.

masternutt

Awards
ask

Ive been using supplements to try and lower cortisol and they seem to help with stress etc. like designer supplements lean xtreme but im also taking klonopin and have taken xanax. Do these type of medications also lower cortisol levels? I read somewhere about some antidepresents doing this. If anyone knows about cortisol lowering meds let me know it seems to help sleep.
Ask your doctor.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Yes, but not all antidepressants lower cortisol. Specifically, benzodiazepines do. The effect is seen in all benzos (like Klonopin, Xanax,Valium) but most pronounced with lorazepam (Ativan).

masternutt

Awards
Yes, but not all antidepressants lower cortisol. Specifically, benzodiazepines do. The effect is seen in all benzos (like Klonopin, Xanax,Valium) but most pronounced with lorazepam (Ativan).
So it sounds like you think that benzodiazepines are antidepressants? Well my doctor tells me that these drugs actually cause depression. They can use them for high anxiety problems, but a a person suffering from depression probably would be wise to avoid them.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
So it sounds like you think that benzodiazepines are antidepressants? Well my doctor tells me that these drugs actually cause depression. They can use them for high anxiety problems, but a a person suffering from depression probably would be wise to avoid them.
It depends. They are technically anxiolytics, so they will depress/sedate a normal person but act as great anti-depressants for those with anxiety based depression. Obviously because the root of their despair and depression is the constant anxiety! So yes, you are right that they are technically 'depressants' that act on the reticular activation system of the CNS to reduce input from environmental stimuli, but it's not quite that black and white to say they are depressants per say. It depends on the person and the application.

masternutt

Awards
It depends. They are technically anxiolytics, so they will depress/sedate a normal person but act as great anti-depressants for those with anxiety based depression. Obviously because the root of their despair and depression is the constant anxiety! So yes, you are right that they are technically 'depressants' that act on the reticular activation system of the CNS to reduce input from environmental stimuli, but it's not quite that black and white to say they are depressants per say. It depends on the person and the application.
Interesting, thankyou.
Are you a real doctor?

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Hey Dr. D. Do you think PEA would work to reduce cortisol?

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Hey Dr. D. Do you think PEA would work to reduce cortisol?
Hmmm.. I doubt it, probably just the opposite, but I'm not totally sure. I know branched PEA's like amphetamine and meth elevate corisol levels quite a bit and I'd guess PEA itself would also to some lesser degree.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. I don't think I'll be using it much then :)

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
Anytime my friend. I find this kind of stuff very interesting too. And no I'm not a real doctor, just a long time patient. :)

Not to highjack the thread, but i have a question for you Dr D, Whats your take on Provigil as a smart drug?

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmmm.. I doubt it, probably just the opposite, but I'm not totally sure. I know branched PEA's like amphetamine and meth elevate corisol levels quite a bit and I'd guess PEA itself would also to some lesser degree.
D'oh. Not the response that I was hoping for. I could have sworn that I have seen PEA used in fat burners or thermogenic blends.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Not to highjack the thread, but i have a question for you Dr D, Whats your take on Provigil as a smart drug?
I've never used it. Some tell me it works great and some say they didn't like the sides (like headache) so I really can't say. The molecule is funky looking too so I have no gut feeling based on it's structure. I know it takes fairly high doses like 100-200mg. It's worth a shot if you can get some.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
D'oh. Not the response that I was hoping for. I could have sworn that I have seen PEA used in fat burners or thermogenic blends.

Yes, it is a fat burner it's true. It's an adrenergic with mostly alpha receptor properties, so it's a better appetite suppressant that a true fat burner, but it is thermogenic so you are correct. I was only talking about it's possible ability to elevate cortisol. Amphetamine is a potent cortisol booster too, but also a real good fat burner nonetheless! Probably the same with PEA.

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
I've never used it. Some tell me it works great and some say they didn't like the sides (like headache) so I really can't say. The molecule is funky looking too so I have no gut feeling based on it's structure. I know it takes fairly high doses like 100-200mg. It's worth a shot if you can get some.

I got some, and my insurence didnt want to pay for it, so i told them i was tired all the time. (which is always true because i work graveyard)

Anyways i thought stuff did wonders, i took it with MJ and ritalin and wrote this insane movie script. Defintly India style, so we'll see where that takes me.

Also caution, when taken with Mj, i turned pale white and i'm brown of natural color.

Just a FYI

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jesus, we are definately a culture of recreational drug users in the bb field.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I like lorazepam i used to use a ton of that stuff for bad anxiety based depression, i could have a fullout panic attack then pop 1mg and in a matter of minutes be cool and calm, it kicks ass. BUT their can be an annoying hangover effect if used to help you sleep, but i believe that's because it boosts GH levels, Paul Borreson wrote about that before. I can DEFINITELY see that stuff lowering cortisol levels, it mellows you out like you wouldn't believe. It's a god send for people who suffer from anxiety and it can completely reverse the effects of stimulants as well. I had a panic attack on Lipo-6 back in the day because i was stupid enough to use it while suffering from nasty anxiety and i popped some lorazepam and bam, i was fine and i didn't feel any stimulant effects anymore.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was getting panic attacks and realized it was from overuse of stims :) I got prescribed anti-anxiety pills and stopped all supplements and then was fine...go figure :)