Protein Bar recipe - check it out

tehockey

tehockey

Awards
Alright, so I'm brand new to this forum, been doing a lot of reading here over the last couple months (converted from bb.com) but never joined or posted. So I figured I'd kick off my membership with an amazing protein bar recipe that I have. I love the ease and nutritional value of P bars but at 2 bucks a pop, my college budget can't exactly support them. these are real cheap to make and contain only the best ingredients. here goes...

1.5 cups whey protein (I use ON chocolate)
1 cup dry skim milk
1/4 cup natty PB
1/2 cup dry oats
couple shakes of cinnamon

mix everything together in a bowl. since its pretty much all dry ingredients, you gotta add a bit of water. here's where it gets tricky. only add the ABSOLUTE LEAST amount of water that you need to get everything to mix. this isn't a pancake batter. add a splash of water, mix, add water, mix. a forewarning, the "batter" will be the stickiest **** you've ever seen. no joke, I spray my hands w/ pam before I begin. when everything is mixed correctly, the entire "batter" should stick together like an oversized snowball. Spray a spoon with pam and use it to spread the mix on a plate (also sprayed w/ pam). Put in the fridge for a couple hours then cut up. I usually cut the mix into 6 bars. I calculated the macros once but can't find the sheet...I know its got a lot of protein, moderate carbs and a healthy amount of fat. good luck and enjoy!!!

sf9ersfan8

sf9ersfan8

Awards
short and sweet recipe, i might even try it,lol. no baking them?

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
I'm going to give this a shot. I'll add a little flax as well.

C

chuebner

Awards
I actually have done a very similiar one, and they taste great:

3 cups organic rolled oats
8 scoops whey chocolate
4tbls of natty pb
1 cup skim milk
half a packet of sugar free pudding powder: I like butterscotch
1 half cup flaxseed

spread it out into a baking pan the let refridgerate

tehockey

tehockey

Awards
no baking...I've heard baking protein powder at anything above 190 degrees or so will denature it. I'm not sure if this is true or not but refrigerating them seems to work fine

C

chuebner

Awards
Ohh i didn't mean to actually bake it..but i put it in a pan that is meant for baking and let it sit in the fridge until it hardens

K

krogtaar

Awards
afaik there is nothing wrong with baking/cooking/denaturing whey...unless you burn the crap out of it you are just changing the shape of the protein and breaking the AA bonds apart....but they are all still there.

im working on a recipe for a dry bar that isnt all goopy, or is goopy in the middle but dry on the outside. whey, pudding powder, and baking soda make a nice dough/bread substitute

C

chuebner

Awards
let me know what you come up with...im very interested...you cant really eat mine "on the go" since its a little chewy

K

krogtaar

Awards
tried this out...1 tablespoon baking soda, 3 tablespoons sugar free pudding mix, i scoop whey, mix in water to pancake batter thickness and microwave until it is done puffing up...makes a nice bread. put PB and jelly on top.

C

chuebner

Awards
haha..thats awesome...def trying that out when I get home from vacation.