Does anyone else have guy problems with protein post workout?

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
I have no problem with a post workout shake of WMS, maltodextrin, and/or dextrose. However if I add even 15-20g of whey protein I get a gut ache and usually in the bathroom within 20 minutes. I've tried various protein powders

1. Is this common?
2. Do I have to have protein immediately PWO or should I take a pure carb (maybe some BCAA) post workout and protein maybe 30-45 minutes later?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hmm this doesn't happen to me. have you tried other protein sources? like either casein, maybe egg?

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
i'd get serious bloat up the a$$ if i had all those sugars AND WMS PWO. some people are just sensitive to protein powders and such. have you tried more of a whole food source for protein? i prefer 3-4 cups fat free milk after any workout. the blend of whey/casein proteins and the sugars holds me over til i can get home from the gym and cook a wholesome meal about an hour later.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
I have had to this problem with whey and milk mixed then a chicken breast.

I would have a
-40g Protein Shake with skim milk
-7oz Chicken Breast

15 minutes after I lifted.

I would feel sick and bloated for half an hour.

Then I took out the whey.

So now I drink ~10oz Milk with a Chicken Breast and I feel MUCH better when Im done eating.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I drink 2 scoops of Xtend + 30g of WMS immediately after working out and I have no problems.
It takes me about 20 minutes to get back to the office and about another 5 minutes to prepare my post-workout shake which usually contains fruit (pineapple, strawberries, banana, raspberries) and 30g of goat whey protein - no problems either.

I used to drink regular whey protein and I always had digestive problems. Oryx Goat Whey fixed that for me.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
sounds like your lactose intolerant whey protein is made from milk! try a lactose free whey, switch to soy, or rice.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Had the exact same problem at once point.

Add betaine HCL and/or ginger. Ginger is a potent anti-inflammatory so some would argue it's not an ideal supp totake PWO asa result (some infammation is beneficial PWO).

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try some of these things. I'm not lactose intolerant in general, but I definitely cannot have too much dairy at once or during one day. Maybe I'm lactose unfriendly, just not intolerant?

Perhaps I'll drink it a little slower too. I think slamming down 16oz in 2 minutes isn't the smartest thing, but sometimes I'm in a hurry and gotta get going.

I think I'll try adding whole foods, milk, or whey maybe 30 minutes after the WMS.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
There is a slow and gradual process i experienced similar to yours , bloating , gas and explosive post shake deucing, eventually arriving at intolerance to milk. Now i can eat cheese ok and sauces with cream, but in excess it gets ugly.

SoulofIceman

SoulofIceman

Awards
Is it with other foods or just protien? Has IBS every crossed the mind? In my opinion you don't need to chug any type of protien right after po-wo only thing you should be chugging after a wrkot is a recovery drink like glutamine/creatine then that will hold you over for about 30min and by that time you should be able to make a shake/food and be home or wherever. Besides if you drink your shake slow your body will be more full, due to the amount of time you are taking to consume a single shake your mind will think that your eating a lot more than you really are.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have no problem with a post workout shake of WMS, maltodextrin, and/or dextrose. However if I add even 15-20g of whey protein I get a gut ache and usually in the bathroom within 20 minutes. I've tried various protein powders...
I used to have the same challenges with Whey until I switched to a Whey-Soy combination. More anabolic than Whey-only, anyway. Alternatively, if you stick to Whey-only, try smaller servings and build-up slowly.