Any PWO Low GI carb people out there????

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just curious how you would compare results with an high GI carb source vs low GI? I have been reading some old old threads on this and I am beginning to think the whole high gi thing is a little overrated. I am considering dropping my high GI carb source for a low GI source PWO.

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Nevermind...just found a couple threads that appear to have my answers and more.

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
Oats all the way. Almost all research that shows the major benefits of high-gi carbs is in fasted and depleted states, which should never be the case with a bodybuilder.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Immediately PWO HIGH GI carbs are NEEDED to replenish glycogen stores, reverse catabolism (by spiking insulin). Also whey protien is great to speed up recovery. about 45 mins to an hour later, your moderate to low GI carb mix (oats+potatos etc) are needed to sustain the recovery process and provide the body with a less exaggerated insulin spike. (lean fast absorbing protien should again be consumed with this meal)

What I do is PWO 78 carbs from powerade (malto-glucose polymers+electrolytes) and whey protien, then 45mins - 1hour later I eat a cup of oats and 5-6 egg whites. Each meal is relatively low calorie, and both meals together could be considered one LARGE PWO meal becuase of the short timeframe. I have tried plain HIGH GI carbs as well as plain LOW GI carbs only PWO and this method seems to work the best.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Immediately PWO HIGH GI carbs are NEEDED to replenish glycogen stores, reverse catabolism (by spiking insulin). Also whey protien is great to speed up recovery. about 45 mins to an hour later, your moderate to low GI carb mix (oats+potatos etc) are needed to sustain the recovery process and provide the body with a less exaggerated insulin spike. (lean fast absorbing protien should again be consumed with this meal)

What I do is PWO 78 carbs from powerade (malto-glucose polymers+electrolytes) and whey protien, then 45mins - 1hour later I eat a cup of oats and 5-6 egg whites. Each meal is relatively low calorie, and both meals together could be considered one LARGE PWO meal becuase of the short timeframe. I have tried plain HIGH GI carbs as well as plain LOW GI carbs only PWO and this method seems to work the best.

Did you read any of the threads posted.

Thudd

Awards
I've tried both, and didn't see any difference either way, so I go with the low-GI version of crushed oats. I figure also that why should one of the most important meals of the day be made up of low nutrient dense ingredients (ie simple sugars) when a better food like oats can [apparently] do the same job.

I do however throw a couple of teaspoons of dextrose in there, mostly to add a bit of sweetness to the oats/whey mix but also on a totally unsubstantiated theory that it 'gets the ball rolling'.

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just started a cut using only low GI (oats) carbs pre and post workout. I'll let yall know how it works out.

And i do use whey pre and post just to clarify. I have never used anything but high GI before...so I'm excited about this approach.