Oversleeping: How can you wake up for real?

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you can't wake up with the help of an alarm, you're probably sleep deprived. Sleep deprivation is why most of us need the alarm in the first place. It means we're not ready to wake up when society demands it because we haven't gone to sleep early enough the night before. Sound a bit to obvious to be considered as knowledge?

Try this prescription instead of the latest sleeping pills:

Maintain a firm nighttime schedule that allows at least 7.5 hours in bed. Make your sleep space pleasant and comfortable, and keep your bedroom as dark and cool as possibly for maximum comfort and sleep quality. Exercising at least 20 minutes on most days should also help fatigue your muscles, further enhancing the quality of your sleep. It would be wise to avoid exercise within 4 hours of bedtime; the surge in hormones could throw off your sleep cycle. And on weeknights, at least, try to minimize your alcohol and caffeine intakes, because both can impair the restfulness of your sleep.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
ah i wish i could sleep 7 hours, those with kid(s), raise your hand ;)

moflika

Awards
Man, as far as I can tell sleep is the one last thing holding me back on making gains. I get around 4-5 hours of sleep a day...and that's much better than it was a couple of years ago =/

Being a procrastinating student really sucks

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Man, as far as I can tell sleep is the one last thing holding me back on making gains. I get around 4-5 hours of sleep a day...and that's much better than it was a couple of years ago =/

Being a procrastinating student really sucks
That's all adjustable my friend. The benefits of sleep go much further beyond just muscle repair and what not (which is what most of us on the board would be concerned with). Sleep is so essential, you can go forever with the benefits of getting a good night's rest (8-9 hours)

DieselPump

DieselPump

Awards
If you can't wake up with the help of an alarm, you're probably sleep deprived. Sleep deprivation is why most of us need the alarm in the first place. It means we're not ready to wake up when society demands it because we haven't gone to sleep early enough the night before. Sound a bit to obvious to be considered as knowledge?

Try this prescription instead of the latest sleeping pills:

Maintain a firm nighttime schedule that allows at least 7.5 hours in bed. Make your sleep space pleasant and comfortable, and keep your bedroom as dark and cool as possibly for maximum comfort and sleep quality. Exercising at least 20 minutes on most days should also help fatigue your muscles, further enhancing the quality of your sleep. It would be wise to avoid exercise within 4 hours of bedtime; the surge in hormones could throw off your sleep cycle. And on weeknights, at least, try to minimize your alcohol and caffeine intakes, because both can impair the restfulness of your sleep.
Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle....one of my favourite e-books!

This is only one of the many great pieces of advice from the book.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle....one of my favourite e-books!

This is only one of the many great pieces of advice from the book.
I'm glad you like the book but it's not where I got it from:blink:

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Strange, because it's a direct quote.

Nonetheless, good advice.
A direct quote?

You're kidding me...it's not possible. Can I get a link or something? :icon_lol: I have to see this for myself.

DieselPump

DieselPump

Awards
A direct quote?

You're kidding me...it's not possible. Can I get a link or something? :icon_lol: I have to see this for myself.
I skimmed through the book again, and I must be wrong because I can't find it. I guess I thought it was from Burn the Fat, because I was just reading parts of that book a couple days ago, and also just read those exact words you posted.

Where did you get what you wrote in the first post? Maybe I read it the same place you did.

Anyway, my mistake.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Shift work is the downfall of society, one week trying to sleep at 1 am the next 10 pm doesnt bode well for me. In my position i am acustomed to getting 8-9 one week an 4-5 the next. Nothing worse than the feeling that if you closed your eyes you could sleep, they burn and itch to be closed, but you cant and your at work for the next 8 hours. sleep loss feels like self mutilation.