The Warrior Diet - Can it WorK?

Timius

Awards
I've been reading the Warrior Diet book. There are many interesting aspects about the diet as a whole. The main one being that you eat lightly through the day - focusing on Whey Protein, yogurt, fruit, raw veggies, and then finish up at night eating just about anything you want that is deemed ok by the diet.

I would like to know thoughts on the following:

1. Is it a worth while change-up to follow it?
2. What tweeks could be made to allow it to be a weight trainer/person looking to improve their physique?
3. What supplements would go good with the diet.

There is a website warriordiet you know what to add.

Any thoughts/Discussion would be great!

Thanks

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
I've been reading the Warrior Diet book. There are many interesting aspects about the diet as a whole. The main one being that you eat lightly through the day - focusing on Whey Protein, yogurt, fruit, raw veggies, and then finish up at night eating just about anything you want that is deemed ok by the diet.

I would like to know thoughts on the following:

1. Is it a worth while change-up to follow it?
2. What tweeks could be made to allow it to be a weight trainer/person looking to improve their physique?
3. What supplements would go good with the diet.

There is a website warriordiet you know what to add.

Any thoughts/Discussion would be great!

Thanks
The Warrior Diet works by creating a caloric deficit. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing magic about it. Fact is, there are better ways of cutting calories. From a metabolic supply-demand standpoint, the WD isn't optimal. At all. Speaking of supplements, the diet is based on assumptions about our prehistoric ancestors, then also has a supplement/product line to help the diet along. Gee, I wonder what type of supps the cavemen were on? The diet is groundless. I'd toss it in the Fad Bullsh1t pile.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
The Warrior Diet works by creating a caloric deficit. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing magic about it. Fact is, there are better ways of cutting calories. From a metabolic supply-demand standpoint, the WD isn't optimal. At all. Speaking of supplements, the diet is based on assumptions about our prehistoric ancestors, then also has a supplement/product line to help the diet along. Gee, I wonder what type of supps the cavemen were on? The diet is groundless. I'd toss it in the Fad Bullsh1t pile.
There was a study posted at Lyle's Body Recomp boards not too long ago which indicated some benefit to intermittent fasting I believe. Increased insulin sensitivity or something like that. I didn't read the abstract so I'm not sure, but it might be worth checking out in relation to this because that's all the WD is, a periodic fast.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
There was a study posted at Lyle's Body Recomp boards not too long ago which indicated some benefit to intermittent fasting I believe. Increased insulin sensitivity or something like that. I didn't read the abstract so I'm not sure, but it might be worth checking out in relation to this because that's all the WD is, a periodic fast.
I'm aware of IF research, but there's one huge thing missing in the study protocols -- an exercise program. IF may acutely increase insulin sensitivity, but so does exercise, which has a few added benefits, not to mention long term insulin sensitivity increases due to morphological & metabolic changes in muscle.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I'm aware of IF research, but there's one huge thing missing in the study protocols -- an exercise program. IF may acutely increase insulin sensitivity, but so does exercise, which has a few added benefits, not to mention long term insulin sensitivity increases due to morphological & metabolic changes in muscle.
None of the IF studies had exercise programs incorporated into them? I wasn't aware of that. That would make a difference, yes. But like I said I never read the abstract, mostly because I never cared. I just eat less when I want to lose weight.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
None of the IF studies had exercise programs incorporated into them? I wasn't aware of that. That would make a difference, yes. But like I said I never read the abstract, mostly because I never cared. I just eat less when I want to lose weight.
None that I am aware of. Usually studies without formal training programs attempt to have the subjects continue their usual physical activity, which generally is all over the board. Incorporating a structured, supervised exercise program is a logistical pain in the ass, so it's not a common thing to see in research unless some sort of sport supplement or training method is being studied.

Timius

Awards
What I'm gathering is that one of the keys to weight loss is keeping your insulin levels at a normal level.

It also seems that comparing the WD to other diets that they all try to do this through different mechanisms. Some even include exercise.

I'm curious as to what supplements are recommended for regulating insuling levels, keeping in a positive nitrogen balance, and maintaining muscle mass.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
What I'm gathering is that one of the keys to weight loss is keeping your insulin levels at a normal level.

It also seems that comparing the WD to other diets that they all try to do this through different mechanisms. Some even include exercise.

I'm curious as to what supplements are recommended for regulating insuling levels, keeping in a positive nitrogen balance, and maintaining muscle mass.
The WD sends insulin levels on a roller coaster ride - one that doesn't necessarily coincide with the demands of training. Keeping insulin metabolism optimal is a matter of total amounts of the macros at any given point. And another hint for you, the ^insulin->adopisity model is out of date. There are other more influential mechanisms that lead to net fat gain rather than an attempt to control insulin levels. For example, Acylation stimulating protein (ASP) is evoked by the mere presence of chylomicrons in the blood (as a result of fat ingestion) & ASP can cause fat storage in the absolute absence of insulin. In fact, ASP has recently been considered the most potent agent of fat cell anabolism. Think caloric control, sufficient macros, progressive training - all the old boring stuff - & you'll be fine.

Last edited:
TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
I just eat less when I want to lose weight.
What? That is crazy! You can't just "eat less" to lose weight... you have to be on some sort of program, man! You gotta have a book and a guru and a chart and pre-packaged food... You, my friend, are nuts. ;)

Timius

Awards
What? That is crazy! You can't just "eat less" to lose weight... you have to be on some sort of program, man! You gotta have a book and a guru and a chart and pre-packaged food... You, my friend, are nuts. ;)
Well said!

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
:fart:

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
I know this thread is pretty old now but i quite liked the Warrior Diet. I was actually doing something very similiar without knowing it was called something.

I train an hour after i get up which is 4:00am then i go to work. If i eat normal meals after that my energy levels are all over the place and i find myself looking for a place to sit down and close my eyes for a few minutes.

If i just snack on low GI fruits and SMALL protein meals when i'm hungry and only when i'm hungry, i feel much better with no energy slumps ever.

At night i go nuts on the meat and veges and if i'm training the next day i eat extra carbs. I sleep like a baby and i have tons of energy for my 4:00am workout.

I know people say to eliminate carbs at night but i've been doing that for the last few days and i have NO energy to get me through my workout let alone any cardio, i feel like crap afterwards and right now i feel very overtrained and unrecuperated from the pitiful workouts i have done.

Alan, i've read many of your posts and realise you are very knowledgable but your way just does not work for me. Actually what usually works for me is what everyone else ISN'T doing!!!!

If anyone else does an early morning workout then goes to work and experiences the same energy slumps etc. then try this way. I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

Jag

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Then eat high fat, low carb meals when breaking the fast.

I'm not on the warrior diet, as Ori advocates eating before the main meal.

I eat ONCE a day, at 2 am, Before that, I walk for 2 hours, do a HIT workout and do my calisthenics 90% and weights 10%(not all at the same time, this is spread throughout the day.)

I love this way of eating because of convenience, I made tons of burger patties out of very fatty ground beef (26 lbs total) froze them and vacuum packed them with 4 strips of bacon each, I take out a pack in the morning to defrost and cook it in a cast iron skillet along with some veal liver, usually 2-4 lbs of meat total.

I have ZERO hunger throughout the day, I've ate like this before and got to low BF levels, although this eating pattern I fast for 24 hours, nothing less.

Energy levels are GREAT! I hate working out after eating something, I hate preparing food, measuring food, worry about food, this is great for me.

Here are some good links!

http://leangains.com/

http://leangains.blogspot.com/search/label/My transformation

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/archives/2006/09/fast_way_to_bet.html

http://avidityfitness.net/2008/01/12/interview-martin-berkhan/

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
I just started doing something similar to this. I fast for 18 hours a day and eat during the 6 hour window. Right now, I eat between noon-6pm, fast from 6pm-noon.

For the past year, I tried the 6 small meals a day and it really didn't work well for me. I felt bloated, tired and it was a pain always trying to eat. Even though I was counting calories, I never lost weight. I'm going to give this a try for a while and see how it works. I used to eat like this when I was younger and was much leaner. I just ordered the warrior diet book and should have it in a few days. I'll give it a try for a month or two and see how it works. I've read some studies on how "fasting" is actually good for you, so maybe this type of diet has some merit?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jm88888 Weight Loss 34
Nutrition / Health 2
whaz Weight Loss 0
bigintensions Nutrition / Health 6
Nutrition / Health 0