Vegetarian turning meat eater, questions.

Buddikaman

Awards
I just posted in the bulking forum, but i have another question regarding diet.

Ive been a vegetarian/vegan for the last 10 years or so, and im trying to quit and eat meat.

Ive been consuming SOY as my main source of protein for the last 10 odd years(im 24) but have finnaly decided to stop. There are alot of reasons but one of the biggest is estrogen/testosterone conflicts. Im starting to worry my estrogen levels are high and test levels low. Ive been told and read various arguments, a friend of mine was saying how the soy estrogen makes you more "womenly" changing your attitude to be more passive and emotional, which oddly enough i have become more so as time goes by. And im trying to get seriuos with the working out, i cant have low test levels and high estrogen, as i feel i have high water retention, among other symptoms..

LOng story short, im pretty confused as to what some good meals containing meat would be for a bulkish diet. Im not even really sure what meat i like anymore, as some meats are easier on me than others, ive started with fish and seafood, but it gets old, im looking to start eating more domestic animals, but i cant deny it when i say meat still grosses me out, heh.

Im guessing the birds id be most able to handle, and pigs and cow would be the hardest on my stomach(and taste buds). I know most people wonder how i dont think meat is the greatest **** ever, but compared to the vegetarian(soy protein) foods im used to, so far its nothing great taste wise.

Its also a matter of whats healthy and whats not, nutrionally, almost any soy food such as, soy burgers, soy hot dogs, soy sausage ect ect is healthy especially compared to the meat counterparts, so i would tottaly have to change my menu up.

So any suggestions or comments would be appreciated, thanks.

-Buddikaman-

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
Well now I've heard it all a vegy goin to the meat counter. :head:

Personally I can't give you an opinion on giving up your vegetarian ways, that can be very political. I'll just say I've always found good old Chicken to be the easiest meat to prepare and digest. It's so forgiving to the lacking cook in me and combined with a little tupperware it will go with you anywhere.

Welcome to the dark side, stick around and you'll ge the advice you seek.

PS. Salmon - excellent protein source and you get your oils too! :woohoo:

NiteHawk

Awards
Yeah, you hardly hear of a vegetarian turning to meat. Its good though..

You already are eating fish, so keep that up. Eat tuna, salmon, orange roughy, etc. Good source of protein and essential oils and fats as well.

I think you would enjoy some good chicken. Get some chicken breasts or some tenderloins for starting. No bones that way either. If you can grill them for the best flavor. I also like turkey breasts as well. They actually have more protein. Be careful when cooking turkey breasts, you can overcook them and they become dry unless you keep on them.

Dont worry, soon you will be ordering an awesome T-Bone steak !!:burger:

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
It's funny i was just listening to a lady speak on the joys of eating off the bone...:blink:

She was talking about how we have all gotten away from the old nutrional norms of our parents. Everything is vegetarian or boneless. I gotta admit I love BBQ'd Chicken legs.

I also have to admit we have Soy Protein powder at home, great for pancakes.

raider1

raider1

Awards
MEAT , give me MEAT.. I really cannot see going w/o meat..
I am a diehard meateater :food: ..steaks,porkchops with the bone..,lamb.. fish maybe once a week..and oh yeh the protein source of choice ..chicken and turkey.. hate the soy products and I cannot STAND tofu..

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
As most have said chicken is a staple and can be prepared easily. Other options are: Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, Tuna (water packed) or steaks, Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut), Shrimp, Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%), Venison, Buffalo, Ostrich, Egg Whites or Eggs, Rib eye Steaks or Roast, Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London broil, and Stir Fry), Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt), Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon), Top Loin (NY Strip Steak), Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita), Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round, 96% Lean Ground Round), Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts).

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Pork tenderloins are very lean, easy on the palette, and cook up easy too. And juicy too.

They look like big decapitated penis's though.. so try not to think of that, as you eat them. (just warning ya).

NiteHawk

Awards
Funny Poobah. That brings a bad image to the mind.

But I agree, I cant see not eating meat especially when lifting heavy. To me, they go hand in hand.

rocketscientist

Awards
You don't need to throw out our your old diet completely. If you are into ready-made foods like hot-dogs and hamburgers, the soy version may be a better choice (though I haven't even gotten close enough to these to check what the ingredients are), but I would think since this stuff is heavily pre-processed it may still not be the best choice overall.

As for meat - go for the best selection that is available and you can afford. You may also check if there are places where you can get meat that is labelled organic, all natural, pasture-raised,... etc. Your selection can make a lot of difference when it comes to taste.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
I was a vegetarian for a few years myself but stoped because I just couldnt digest soy or anything else remotly high in protein anymore. What ever you do dont start off with beef :) Chicken+fish+eggs for starters. I found beef the hardest but I cant say that anymore..did once consume about 30lbs of steak in a month once ;)

akp2004

Awards
Welcome to the world of meat!

I went from vegetarian to a few months of vegan to full blown meat/fish/chicken based bulking diet and have enjoyed the carnivore life since then. I still love vegetarian style cooking - but I just add meat to it - ie, the herbs, seasoning, etc is very well done in vegetarian dishes. But I've never met a vegetarian dish that wasnt 200% better with some meat added!

First things first - you may want to order some grassfed beef if you ever go that route - more tasty and also healthier fat in it. Organic meat is also generally tastier.

Your taste for steak and bloody stuff may never show up, or you may find your taste develops over time. When you're ready to dabble in red meat, you might try treating yourself to a great steakhouse like Morton's, (yes, I'm sure there are better local favorites, but this is a tried and true one), and treat yourself to some very nice seafood there, but see if you can go with a friend who orders something like a NY strip, tell them to leave the butter off of it, just get it charbroiled. That may open the door.

Meat needs to be seasoned and prepared correctly especially if you're new to eating it.

you may want to invest in a meat thermometer for cooking chicken, meat, and other things. Get a good cook book too. Bodybuilder recipes tend to be very bland - try getting a good omnivore cookbook to give you ideas for how to season and prepare it, with great vegetable side dishes.

PS, Let me put it this way, I went from 145 to 195 in 18months and got leaner when I switched off being vegetarian.