Seasoning and Spices

Erikeckert

Erikeckert

Awards
Why is it when you try to follow a bodybuilders diet or meal plan, when they are discussing the foods they eat... almost all of them never add seasoning to their foods. If a spice or seasoning contains 0 calories then why would adding these to give your food some flavor a bad thing?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Why is it when you try to follow a bodybuilders diet or meal plan, when they are discussing the foods they eat... almost all of them never add seasoning to their foods. If a spice or seasoning contains 0 calories then why would adding these to give your food some flavor a bad thing?
It depends on what bodybuilders you look to or follow. Some people prefer to drop seasonings with higher salt content when they are coming in to the end of a prep and right before a show. This has been disproven though. You'll see spices and seasoning being added to foods in most "meal prep" videos.

It may also be that the diet/meal plans are not written out with seasoning and spices that are zero calories, leaving it up to you to decide on how to flavor and season your food to your preference in taste.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Maybe they just don't list the spices. I use tons. Garlic, onion, ginger, different kinds of pepper, cumin, adobo. Nothing wrong with your food tasting good and some spices have health benefit

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As it’s been said, some people don’t want a lot of salt, which some seasonings can have a lot of. But here are low/no-sodium seasonings, like curry for example, that should be fine on ANY diet.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
As it’s been said, some people don’t want a lot of salt, which some seasonings can have a lot of. But here are low/no-sodium seasonings, like curry for example, that should be fine on ANY diet.
On a side not, have you seen any new findings on sodium. Aparently it don't effect healthy ppl

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
On a side not, have you seen any new findings on sodium. Aparently it don't effect healthy ppl
Yeah, I use normal seasoning with salt. I don’t compete so I don’t really care about manipulating sodium/water/etc. either, so I’ll enjoy the salty taste haha.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yeah, I use normal seasoning with salt. I don’t compete so I don’t really care about manipulating sodium/water/etc. either, so I’ll enjoy the salty taste haha.
Im the same. I think all those special salts are bull****

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Who knows. Maybe they don't like seasonings or still have some bro beliefs that sodium is bad.

It could also be a super eating disorder. Some spices do have calories, but they are so negligible that if one does count seasonings, they need to seek help. Garlic powder does have calories, but one would need to consume a whole container full for calories to add up to even matter.

Remember, a lot of stuff in bodybuilding is recycled bro beliefs. Plain stuff, egg whites, etc.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
McCormick and Trader Joes seasonings FTW!!!