Whey as good as whole protein sources......

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Found thus article interesting. For me personally the study is no way near large enough or detailed enough (in the article anyway) to be definitive in any way.......but it’s an interesting one as I’ve always been one that believes whole foods beat whey (and not just because whole foods have the extra micro nutrients)......

Also seems to go against the recentish studies showing meal frequency didn’t matter......?

https://www.t-nation.com/supplements/tip-whole-foods-vs-protein-powders?utm_********facebook&************social&utm_**********article5592

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Whey is heavily processed
Whole foods far from that
Whey is a "Supplement" to help reach your protein intake you do not get from whole food.

Pretty straight forward. Food will always reign supreme. You don't even need whey as long as your eating enough protein via whole food.

Bagofturdwind

Bagofturdwind

Awards
  • Established
Whey is one of the most incredibly and heavily studied protein sources. Yes it’s a supplement. But, it’s a supplement that comes from food. Much like egg protein powder. And pea protein powder. And rice protein powder. They’re all supplements. None of them are going to be very satiating. None of them should be relied upon as your only food source obviously. But, they are all indeed fantastic protein sources. It’s often hard to hit our protein macro goals without this supplementation. Eat normal. Supplement when needed. Don’t overthink it.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
I know I'm going to sound like a parody of myself here, but just eat beef and you'll never need to worry about if X is better or as good as Y :)

bwdill

bwdill

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I know I'm going to sound like a parody of myself here, but just eat beef and you'll never need to worry about if X is better or as good as Y :)
In b4 someone says that red meat causes cancer.......

OP - whole food is always > supplementation

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the study OP.
I’d be interested in seeing more research and more specific results.

Whilst getting all of your protein from whole foods is better than getting all of your protein from a protein powder, I think the benefits are probably overestimated so long as both groups are consuming enough micronutrients.
As for a mix of protein powder and whole foods, I wouldn’t be surprised if the results of the above study broadly hold true so long as both groups consume enough micronutrients