How to diet, made easy

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
I see a lot of different threads and posts here with a few different questions and common themes popping up. This thread aims to tackle these.
Some of this article will be based on science and logic, some of this article will be my own personal opinion and is not backed up by hard science. I'll do my best to separate these in this thread and provide full disclosure on this.

First things first - maintenance calories.
The best way I get people to find this is to log what they are eating for a week and averaging out their calories. You can also use a TDEE calculator online. Finding your maintenance calories is not terribly important as generally most people are going to be making adjustments either up or down based on their goals. So don't worry about finding your exact maintenance calories. Just pick a number and run with it

Picking your macros
This is not terribly important. The best diet is the one that you'll stick to. If you'll stick to any diet then the best diet is natural foods that contain everything you require and digests quickly and easily. Get in your protein from real food and then fill up the rest of your calories with carbohydrate from real sources like rice, oats and potato. If you're required to eat a lot of food to grow or you're experiencing bloating, you're probably best avoiding wheat and barley based products. Northern Europeans do really, really well with gluten while the rest of the world doesn't so much. If you're eating real food like steak and rice then your macros are going to fall in the right place no matter what.

Gaining weight
So now you have your rough maintenance calories and want to gain muscle. Weigh yourself. Eat your new diet at maintenance calories for a week and weigh yourself again. If you gained at least 0.5kg / 1lb (half for women) then do not change anything. If you did not gain this much weight then increase your calories by 5%. You can increase your calories by either increasing carbohydrate or by increasing the amount of meat you're eating. If you're eating mainly chicken then you can get this caloric increase by swapping some out for beef instead. Or you can add more rice to a meal. Whatever you choose - do the same thing each day and don't do random things. You want to track everything very carefully so you know what each change is doing to your body. If you increase your steak to get a 5% caloric increase and nothing happens, next week you can increase your rice to see if that works better. So every week you weigh yourself and increase calories 5% for each week you do not gain 0.5kg or 1lb. For some people this will be every week, for others it might be one or two adjustments.

Losing weight
Likewise with gaining weight, losing weight is the opposite. Reduce your calories by 5% for each week you do not lose 0.5kg / 1lb (half for women). When you make an adjustment, keep the same adjustment for each day. Don't reduce the calories from rice the first day and from steak the next. You need to keep the variables the same and change one at a time. For losing weight you also have the option of adding activity. If you are not losing weight then instead of reducing calories by 5% you can add in a 10 minute walk each day. This will allow you to reduce calories a lot slower as 50% of the time you're adding an extra 10 minute walk to each day instead. After meals is a great time to add in any 10 minute walks

What food should I eat?
This is where we get out of the scientific realm and into my own personal
It's my opinion that red meat is a superior source of protein and fats. Nothing is more nutrient dense than red meat. If you include liver, you have 100% of what your body needs. I did not keep track of the number of times that I was helping someone with their diet and they were trying to gain weight with chicken or white fish. Even if they were eating 4000+ kcal a day, switching their protein to red meat allowed them to gain muscle on fewer calories and volume of food. When dieting, nothing kept their muscles full like red meat.

For carbohydrate, I recommend finding something that you like and sticking with it. The body gets better at digesting if you feed it the same thing every day. Rice is really, really easy to diet on as it's so easy to measure exact amounts and is very versatile. You can also sprinkle dextrose over it if you're having a hard time eating.

A note on drugs
Please, do not add drugs or modify them if you're also modifying your diet. If you find your maintenance calories, add 5% and then also start taking superdrol, you're going to add a fair amount of body weight. However how do you know if you're gaining muscle optimally or not? Your only metric of judging progress (the scale) is now unreliable and you don't know if the 5% increase is working or not. You might be doing great, you might just be gaining water and glycogen that will go away when you stop taking the superdrol. Increase your calories by 5% each week until you get to the point where you're gaining 0.5kg / 1lb for at least 3 weeks in a row without caloric adjustments, THEN add in your drugs. You now know 100% that you're eating enough food to grow and can keep track of how much of your weight increase is from food and how much is from drugs. Likewise when dieting, wait until you've been losing weight consistently on the same number of calories for several weeks before adding something like MK677. If you reduce calories then add MK677, you do not know if the diet is working by any objective means and have to resort to looking in the mirror. Wait until you're losing weight, add in the drugs, write off any weight changes as the drugs then start tracking progress again

Please ask any further questions and I'll update this as needed!

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Im gonna reset my diet after vacation and try an all beef diet. Or mostly beef anyway. Ill draw up mealplan and get your input

jtbull

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
keeping tabs on this one. Thanks for the updates.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Subb'd.

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Subbed. I really enjoy your nutrition posts Alex!

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
So you are just parroting the velocity diet
It's outlining the common themes in all successful diets. Despite you referring to it as "parroting", there is nothing inherently wrong with this. Some of the information is contained in the velocity diet, but most of it is not. Most dieting pieces don't contain any information at all about 5% adjustments. Layne Norton's contest prep book touches on it briefly but doesn't go into full detail on tracking variables in order to keep progress going

If all you have to bring is negativity, then please leave :)

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's outlining the common themes in all successful diets. Despite you referring to it as "parroting", there is nothing inherently wrong with this. Some of the information is contained in the velocity diet, but most of it is not. Most dieting pieces don't contain any information at all about 5% adjustments. Layne Norton's contest prep book touches on it briefly but doesn't go into full detail on tracking variables in order to keep progress going

If all you have to bring is negativity, then please leave :)
Common theme in all successful diets is counting macros. IIFYM proved that theory but I agree bro diets are still the best for building purposes due too how easy it is to hit your macros.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Common theme in all successful diets is counting macros. IIFYM proved that theory but I agree bro diets are still the best for building purposes due too how easy it is to hit your macros.
The common theme in what they miss is how to progress in the diet as well. I see a lot of posts here with people making 250-500kcal jumps. But then, if experts told people exactly how to alter diets as they progress, clients wouldn't need them :)

I actually prefer counting food then macros, makes it a lot easier! A lot of people like variety in their diet though, then macros is all you can count

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The common theme in what they miss is how to progress in the diet as well. I see a lot of posts here with people making 250-500kcal jumps. But then, if experts told people exactly how to alter diets as they progress, clients wouldn't need them :)

I actually prefer counting food then macros, makes it a lot easier! A lot of people like variety in their diet though, then macros is all you can count
99% of the people who go the gym will never need a dietitian or step on stage so no need to micro analyze every calorie consumed. And by counting “foods” you are counting macros

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
. And by counting “foods” you are counting macros
Correct
Food = Portions (A way to measure intake)
Food = Calories (A way to measure intake)
Calories = Macros (protein, carbs, fat)
Both ways are utilized to track intake and reach your goal.

For example --> Shelby Starnes, Matt Porter, & Chris Aceto uses portions when working with his clients and he doesn't count trace calories. So he will tell you have X amount of protein at this meal and include these sources of carbs or fats and doesn't have you track the extra carbs, protein, or fat from those sources.

On the other hand someone like Matt Jansen, Layne Norton, Paul Rivela, Alberto Nunez, 3DMJ etc.. will give you certain macros to hit and go from there. The macros we hit contain calories (4 carb/pro and 9 for fat)

Counting food is the same thing as calories and macros they both are made up of them. All food will have deviations in their food labels which is the same as counting macros or utilizing and IIFYM approach and counting calories. IIFYM which in this context refers to protein, fat and carbs. And even though calories are not a macronutrient calorie intake is included in this as well.

What is the difference between counting foods or counting calories? Nothing
In general, with all else being equal, they’re exactly the same. You will lose fat/gain muscle by modifying your surplus from food or calories. People will overanalyze the small details on thinking what is optimal when in reality its common sense.
The goal with your diet is to consume a total amount of calories, macronutrients and micronutrients that supports your goals (fat loss, muscle growth, etc.) and your overall health. Whether that ends up being a more strict approach (tracking only foods or only macros) or a more flexible approach (like IIFYM) honestly won’t matter with all else being equal, and it’s entirely up to you to determine which approach suits you best.

The article above gives horrible examples of processed foods.. Arctic Zero was found guilty of what is posted on their labels in the past and has a lawsuit :
http://www.budgetsavvydiva.com/2012/09/arctic-class-action-lawsuit/
We already knew that restaurant calculations are far from accurate. Nobody gives the correct portions listed on online websites for eating out, they hide extra oil's, fillers, and butters used to prepare foods. Its also noted that the TEF from protein will lower the amount of calories you get when ingesting a source.

Protein has a thermic effect upward of five times greater than carbohydrates or fat meaning its harder for that to be disposed into fat compared to two other macronutrients. We could also rule in fiber and how that is digested in the system which could throw off carb counts. So if you counted a steak made at your house or at the outback it will have very inconsistent calories, so if I counted food or macros it would be off either way.
In the end... Micromanaging is why tracking calories leads to bad relationships with food. People overanalyze the smallest details.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Great info, The Solution :)

jtbull

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dont Dont know if this is good, but i have heard some guys at the gym that prefer to "cardio" the weight down than just diet. They diet as well, but from what i gather many add cardio instead of continuing to drop calories.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Dont Dont know if this is good, but i have heard some guys at the gym that prefer to "cardio" the weight down than just diet. They diet as well, but from what i gather many add cardio instead of continuing to drop calories.
I’d think it’d be all about the balance between the reduced calories and the additional cardio. Too much on either side of the equation gets into diminishing returns.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
As mentioned, reducing calories and increasing activity is fine for losing weight. It just has to be progressive and a *small* adjustment. Adding a 10 minute walk after a meal is enough for many to start losing fat if fat loss has stalled. If you eat 6 meals then well, that's 6 opportunities for 10 minute walks :)

If you add an hour of cardio each day straight away then what do you do next? Another hour? Then what? Reduce calories of course

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How accurate are these TDEE calculators? I used one and the maintenance caloric intake seems pretty high. Used my height and weight, moderate activity(2-4 workouts per week, average 13,000 steps a day for work somedays over 20k), age and approximate BF%, and it's telling me I need 3100 calories a day. That's quite a lot. According to my iPhone/apple watch, between activity and estimated BMR i'm expending 3100-3700 calories a day(justlooking back over the past week or so). I've been eating 2800ish calories a day and weight has trended up over the past 6-7 weeks. What am I missing here?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
How accurate are these TDEE calculators? I used one and the maintenance caloric intake seems pretty high. Used my height and weight, moderate activity(2-4 workouts per week, average 13,000 steps a day for work somedays over 20k), age and approximate BF%, and it's telling me I need 3100 calories a day. That's quite a lot. According to my iPhone/apple watch, between activity and estimated BMR i'm expending 3100-3700 calories a day(justlooking back over the past week or so). I've been eating 2800ish calories a day and weight has trended up over the past 6-7 weeks. What am I missing here?
Very inconsistent
Every webpage and calculator you use will give you skewed numbers.

track your weight and intake for 2 weeks and make adjustments based off the scale and mirror.

daywalker81

Awards
I see a lot of different threads and posts here with a few different questions and common themes popping up. This thread aims to tackle these.
Some of this article will be based on science and logic, some of this article will be my own personal opinion and is not backed up by hard science. I'll do my best to separate these in this thread and provide full disclosure on this.

First things first - maintenance calories.
The best way I get people to find this is to log what they are eating for a week and averaging out their calories. You can also use a TDEE calculator online. Finding your maintenance calories is not terribly important as generally most people are going to be making adjustments either up or down based on their goals. So don't worry about finding your exact maintenance calories. Just pick a number and run with it

Picking your macros
This is not terribly important. The best diet is the one that you'll stick to. If you'll stick to any diet then the best diet is natural foods that contain everything you require and digests quickly and easily. Get in your protein from real food and then fill up the rest of your calories with carbohydrate from real sources like rice, oats and potato. If you're required to eat a lot of food to grow or you're experiencing bloating, you're probably best avoiding wheat and barley based products. Northern Europeans do really, really well with gluten while the rest of the world doesn't so much. If you're eating real food like steak and rice then your macros are going to fall in the right place no matter what.

Gaining weight
So now you have your rough maintenance calories and want to gain muscle. Weigh yourself. Eat your new diet at maintenance calories for a week and weigh yourself again. If you gained at least 0.5kg / 1lb (half for women) then do not change anything. If you did not gain this much weight then increase your calories by 5%. You can increase your calories by either increasing carbohydrate or by increasing the amount of meat you're eating. If you're eating mainly chicken then you can get this caloric increase by swapping some out for beef instead. Or you can add more rice to a meal. Whatever you choose - do the same thing each day and don't do random things. You want to track everything very carefully so you know what each change is doing to your body. If you increase your steak to get a 5% caloric increase and nothing happens, next week you can increase your rice to see if that works better. So every week you weigh yourself and increase calories 5% for each week you do not gain 0.5kg or 1lb. For some people this will be every week, for others it might be one or two adjustments.

Losing weight
Likewise with gaining weight, losing weight is the opposite. Reduce your calories by 5% for each week you do not lose 0.5kg / 1lb (half for women). When you make an adjustment, keep the same adjustment for each day. Don't reduce the calories from rice the first day and from steak the next. You need to keep the variables the same and change one at a time. For losing weight you also have the option of adding activity. If you are not losing weight then instead of reducing calories by 5% you can add in a 10 minute walk each day. This will allow you to reduce calories a lot slower as 50% of the time you're adding an extra 10 minute walk to each day instead. After meals is a great time to add in any 10 minute walks

What food should I eat?
This is where we get out of the scientific realm and into my own personal
It's my opinion that red meat is a superior source of protein and fats. Nothing is more nutrient dense than red meat. If you include liver, you have 100% of what your body needs. I did not keep track of the number of times that I was helping someone with their diet and they were trying to gain weight with chicken or white fish. Even if they were eating 4000+ kcal a day, switching their protein to red meat allowed them to gain muscle on fewer calories and volume of food. When dieting, nothing kept their muscles full like red meat.

For carbohydrate, I recommend finding something that you like and sticking with it. The body gets better at digesting if you feed it the same thing every day. Rice is really, really easy to diet on as it's so easy to measure exact amounts and is very versatile. You can also sprinkle dextrose over it if you're having a hard time eating.

A note on drugs
Please, do not add drugs or modify them if you're also modifying your diet. If you find your maintenance calories, add 5% and then also start taking superdrol, you're going to add a fair amount of body weight. However how do you know if you're gaining muscle optimally or not? Your only metric of judging progress (the scale) is now unreliable and you don't know if the 5% increase is working or not. You might be doing great, you might just be gaining water and glycogen that will go away when you stop taking the superdrol. Increase your calories by 5% each week until you get to the point where you're gaining 0.5kg / 1lb for at least 3 weeks in a row without caloric adjustments, THEN add in your drugs. You now know 100% that you're eating enough food to grow and can keep track of how much of your weight increase is from food and how much is from drugs. Likewise when dieting, wait until you've been losing weight consistently on the same number of calories for several weeks before adding something like MK677. If you reduce calories then add MK677, you do not know if the diet is working by any objective means and have to resort to looking in the mirror. Wait until you're losing weight, add in the drugs, write off any weight changes as the drugs then start tracking progress again

Please ask any further questions and I'll update this as needed!
Super great

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You have to remember that none of these calculators take into account individual metabolism or nutrition history.

For example, person A has your exact activity level and has been eating 3,100 Cals and maintains weight at that

Whereas person B who has exactly the same activity (and height bf etc) as person but who has been eating 2,300 Cals for the past 3 months will put weight on if they jump up to 3,100 Cals.

Your body doesn’t want to gain or lose weight and a series of hormonal reactions either speed up or slow down your metabolism to meet the calorie intake you have (it’s why it’s always wise to reverse diet - I.e add calories slowly, after a cut to avoid fat gain).

There’s other factors as well, like the macro split you are consuming that can have an impact. Just use that number as a starting point and adjust until you have YOUR gain/loss numbers worked out.

niklaslampi

Awards
Good thing though, if you're using IIFYM you're likely balancing out eating more on some days with less on others, simply because the constant variations of different foods.