good food habits for a healthy stomach

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What are some good food habits for a healthy stomach?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Drop all processed foods for the most part. If you drink a lot of coffee also stop because it messes with stomach acids. Keep a food log to note what does and does not agree with you. Add a high quality probiotic and possibly some fermented foods. Thats a good place to start.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Drop all processed foods for the most part. If you drink a lot of coffee also stop because it messes with stomach acids. Keep a food log to note what does and does not agree with you. Add a high quality probiotic and possibly some fermented foods. Thats a good place to start.
I’d say that coffee “can” upset your stomach, not that it “does” mess with it. Some people tolerate moderate coffee perfectly fine, and some can’t have a cup without an upset stomach. The research does also seem to indicate that coffee doesn’t negatively impact various parameters of the GI/etc., but, as I said, some people do get an upset stomach as an adverse effect.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I’d say that coffee “can” upset your stomach, not that it “does” mess with it. Some people tolerate moderate coffee perfectly fine, and some can’t have a cup without an upset stomach. The research does also seem to indicate that coffee doesn’t negatively impact various parameters of the GI/etc., but, as I said, some people do get an upset stomach as an adverse effect.
Im not talking about coffee upseting ur stomach. Im talking about stomach acids. It does that to everyone period. It throws it outta wack which makes problems breaking down food and blah blah. Theres a lot to it i dont have time to explain but its in relation to gut heallth and digestion, not upset stomach that some ppl get from it

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Im not talking about coffee upseting ur stomach. Im talking about stomach acids. It does that to everyone period. It throws it outta wack which makes problems breaking down food and blah blah. Theres a lot to it i dont have time to explain but its in relation to gut heallth and digestion, not upset stomach that some ppl get from it
Its over consumption that does it. Il explain more later

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There are plenty of studies that show that this change in stomach acid is not a relevant concern for the majority of people. Here’s just one review:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3680393/
Simply because it increases/changes stomach acid doesn’t mean that it WILL inherently throw it “out of wack.” It CAN, but it’s silly to say that it DOES, as in always, give people problems breaking down food.
Its over consumption that does it. Il explain more later
Ok. I can believe that overconsumption of it can cause issues, I just do not agree with a claim that moderate coffee consumption inherently WILL mess with digestion and/or stomach/gut/GI health/function.

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
subbed. I can say that as one gets older - stims and coffee on a daily basis overtime screw your gut up big time. Since I have dropped stims and have 2 coffee's max now - my gut health has changed radically. Next is dropping coffee. Supplements and pro-biotics etc.. are now actually working. Many folks imo are ruining their gut health - and just don't know it 'yet'. I agree that moderate coffee intake is ok, but do believe that one would acheive a better, healthier and high performing body and mind with no coffee.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree that moderate coffee intake is ok, but do believe that one would acheive a better, healthier and high performing body and mind with no coffee.
The overwhelming consensus of available research/data/studies/reviews/etc would strongly disagree with your claim that people would be healthier and better/higher performing without ANY coffee than with MODERATE coffee consumption. There are actually a plethora of benefits associated with moderate coffee consumption, ranging from decreased risk of some diseases/death, as well as acute benefits in performance, as we all know.

You do you; and use or don't use as much of what you want or don't want, but let's not confuse our opinions with science.

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
The overwhelming consensus of available research/data/studies/reviews/etc would strongly disagree with your claim that people would be healthier and better/higher performing without ANY coffee than with MODERATE coffee consumption. There are actually a plethora of benefits associated with moderate coffee consumption, ranging from decreased risk of some diseases/death, as well as acute benefits in performance, as we all know.

You do you; and use or don't use as much of what you want or don't want, but let's not confuse our opinions with science.
I stated my opinion based on my experience. I really give a **** what anyone else thinks...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I stated my opinion based on my experience. In no way did I 'confuse my opinion' with any other 'opinion'.
I'm saying that your opinion is in stark contrast with the (overwhelming) scientific consensus. I respect your opinion that you think YOU are better off without it, and I can't argue with you on that, as you know you better than I do, but to say that PEOPLE (as a whole, etc.) are better off without it based on your personal experience is silly.

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
I'm saying that your opinion is in stark contrast with the (overwhelming) scientific consensus. I respect your opinion that you think YOU are better off without it, and I can't argue with you on that, as you know you better than I do, but to say that PEOPLE (as a whole, etc.) are better off without it based on your personal experience is silly.
What did I say? I said ' I do believe that one would acheive a better, healthier and high performing body and mind with no coffee.'

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What did I say? I said ' I do believe that one would acheive a better, healthier and high performing body and mind with no coffee.'
And I say that the consensus from a plethora of studies/reviews/analyses/etc is that one would not be healthier and higher performing without coffee relative to consuming moderate coffee. YOU may find you’re better without it, but your n=1 anecdote does not the rule make.

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
And I say that the consensus from a plethora of studies/reviews/analyses/etc is that one would not be healthier and higher performing without coffee relative to consuming moderate coffee. YOU may find you’re better without it, but your n=1 anecdote does not the rule make.
YOU should lay off the stims...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I stated my opinion based on my experience. I really give a **** what anyone else thinks...
Would these other people who’s opinions you “don’t give a ****” about include the authors of studies, reviews, and analyses on the topic? Let me write to NCBI and JISSN to tell them that there’s no need to publish/upload/conduct more studies; we have the answer on caffeine. But really, your personal experience can only say that you think YOU are better/healthier without coffee. How can your personal experience find that PEOPLE are better off without it? This is a serious question.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
There are plenty of studies that show that this change in stomach acid is not a relevant concern for the majority of people. Here’s just one review:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3680393/
Simply because it increases/changes stomach acid doesn’t mean that it WILL inherently throw it “out of wack.” It CAN, but it’s silly to say that it DOES, as in always, give people problems breaking down food.

Ok. I can believe that overconsumption of it can cause issues, I just do not agree with a claim that moderate coffee consumption inherently WILL mess with digestion and/or stomach/gut/GI health/function.
Over consumption. A cup or 2 wont do much if any harm. The reason so many ppl get problems from it (most dont even realize) because that large dnd coffee is like 4 servings. Either way its not something to get hung up on. I was simply listing ways to improve gut health

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Over consumption. A cup or 2 wont do much if any harm. The reason so many ppl get problems from it (most dont even realize) because that large dnd coffee is like 4 servings. Either way its not something to get hung up on. I was simply listing ways to improve gut health
I'd argue that all the things people are adding to their large coffees are probably worse for all manners of health than the coffee itself haha. If I recall, the majority of studies/analyses/reviews seem to point to ~4 cups/day being the upper-recommended intake level that is associated with a variety of health benefits. But I do suppose that splitting this into at least 2 servings would be easier on the stomach than having 4 cups of coffee at one time, so I can see what you're saying.

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
Would these other people who’s opinions you “don’t give a ****” about include the authors of studies, reviews, and analyses on the topic? Let me write to NCBI and JISSN to tell them that there’s no need to publish/upload/conduct more studies; we have the answer on caffeine. But really, your personal experience can only say that you think YOU are better/healthier without coffee. How can your personal experience find that PEOPLE are better off without it? This is a serious question.
Its morons like you that wreck the health of threads like this.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Its morons like you that wreck the health of threads like this.
I could argue that it's people who ignore multiple peer-reviewed studies/analyses/reviews in favor of their anecdotal/personal experiences that "wreck the health of threads." You can say that YOU'RE better off without coffee, but it's asinine to say that because YOU are healthier/better-performing without it that PEOPLE (as a whole, etc.) are better-performing/healthier without it when there is a plethora of research showing otherwise. But yeah, I'm the moron troll. Got it...

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
I could argue that it's people who ignore multiple peer-reviewed studies/analyses/reviews in favor of their anecdotal/personal experiences that "wreck the health of threads." You can say that YOU'RE better off without coffee, but it's asinine to say that because YOU are healthier/better-performing without it that PEOPLE (as a whole, etc.) are better-performing/healthier without it when there is a plethora of research showing otherwise. But yeah, I'm the moron troll. Got it...
bro I never said PEOPLE or anything or eluding too - your a ****ing moron that cannot read lol. We are sick of hearing the same **** from you over and over and over. Yoru a rep for company Man - get it together. If you worked for me - you would fired long ago.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Omg you two are arguing about ****ing coffee!! Coffee!! Who gives a flying ****! Holy ****

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
bro I never said PEOPLE or anything or eluding too - your a ****ing moron that cannot read lol. We are sick of hearing the same **** from you over and over and over. Yoru a rep for company Man - get it together. If you worked for me - you would fired long ago.
If I worked for you I would have quit long ago...

You said "I agree that moderate coffee intake is ok, but do believe that one would acheive a better, healthier and high performing body and mind with no coffee." By saying "I do believe that ONE would achieve a better, healthier and high performing body and mind with no coffee," you are essentially saying that people, or this "one" (hypothetical person) would be better off without it. I'm sorry you didn't realize the implications of your statement or how the English language works.

Slapoyjoe

I use steel-cut, yes. Oats are absolutely my go-to food in a bulk.

When cutting, those oats provide valuable fibre and fill me up.

Oats are nearly the perfect food.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I use steel-cut, yes. Oats are absolutely my go-to food in a bulk.

When cutting, those oats provide valuable fibre and fill me up.

Oats are nearly the perfect food.
I switched to steel cut and threw it in the trash after 1 bowl. Yuk. Regular quick oats for me