Is it possible to be in ketosis during mornings/afternoons BUT have carbs in evening?

Dr. Anabolic

Awards
Is it possible to follow the ketogenic diet and reap the benefits in the mornings and afternoons, but eat carbs in the late evening (75-150g)?
Hear me out...
My initial thinking is no way this would work as it usually takes weeks to get into ketosis and carbohydrate consumption would break the ketosis. But I have read of several people benefiting from this approach. I was listening to Ben Greenfield who does a similar approach of ketosis during the day and in the late evening he will workout and consume 100-150 or so grams of carbs. This is a very high endurance athlete we're talking about though...

I'm still not sold on only ketogenic dieting, especially long term as I am not sure it can be sustainable for me. If I could get the benefits of ketosis during the day--- perhaps take exogenous ketones in the morning, a high fat high protein lunch, high fat snack in the afternoon, exercise around 5:30pm, then have a high protein moderate carb dinner (100g) around 830pm.

The beauty of this if it works is I am still getting SOME carbs. This is important to me as I eat out with my family about 1-2x a week and would like to splurge on a carb'ed up meal. Not to mention it isn't as "extreme" as straight up keto. I feel the body needs some sort of carbs and I just don't feel comfortable completely eliminating all carbs.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If you are running at a deficit you will enter Leticia.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
The answer is no. It can take several days to get into ketosis. For most ppl anything over 30gm a day will prevent ketosis. Basically what you wanna do is just called carb backloading

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
The answer is no. It can take several days to get into ketosis. For most ppl anything over 30gm a day will prevent ketosis. Basically what you wanna do is just called carb backloading
This. Your body will still be utilizing the carbs from the day before, and this will prohibit you from entering ketosis. Your body stores carbs in the form of glycogen, which takes several days to deplete. You need to remove carbohydrate from your diet for at least a few days for your body to deplete glycogen and begin producing ketones.