Transition from bulk to cut?

leonbeast

Awards
Aye there! So I'm currently 19, 6'3, 196 lbs. I have been working out for a while now and love it. the bulk went great, but its time to shred for summer. My diet before was eating wahtever but a lot of protein. A month ago i was at 184 lbs 7.2 body percent fat, then a week ago 196 lbs 11.2 body fat. I ate about 3000-3500 calories. But i want to shred for summer, my abs are pretty strong but they wont show because i havfe a little bit of fat, but its all muscle for sure. Can you guys gimme advice on how to shred as far as diet and working out ? thanks!

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
You gained 12lbs in 4 weeks eating between 3000 and 3500kcals, suggesting maintenance calories of between 1500 and 2000kcals, something is off there, how do you track your calories?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
How are you calculating bodyfat? According to these numbers, you've gained 9lbs of body fat in 1 month. The numbers you've given also indicates that you've gained 3 pounds per week eating 3500 calories, which shows that you are in an excessive caloric surplus. If you do the math on this, this would set your maintenance at appx. 2000 calories per day.

3500 x 7 (days per week) = 24,500 calories consumed per week
3 pounds gained per week = 10,500 calorie surplus per week
24,500 - 10,500 = 14,000 calories per week (this would be your maintenance)
14,000 / 7 (days per week) = 2000 calories per day (maintenance)

So, this shows that your maintenance is right around 2000kcals per day. If you want to lose weight, I would start at maintenance and begin backing off from there. Set your intake at 2000 and see what happens. You may also want to taper off from 3500 and slowly lower calories over the first 1-2 weeks.

What did you do to get down to 7% body fat in the past? If you've done it in the past you should be able to apply the same principles and see the same results.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Aye there! So I'm currently 19, 6'3, 196 lbs. I have been working out for a while now and love it. the bulk went great, but its time to shred for summer. My diet before was eating wahtever but a lot of protein. A month ago i was at 184 lbs 7.2 body percent fat, then a week ago 196 lbs 11.2 body fat. I ate about 3000-3500 calories. But i want to shred for summer, my abs are pretty strong but they wont show because i havfe a little bit of fat, but its all muscle for sure. Can you guys gimme advice on how to shred as far as diet and working out ? thanks!
I cant lie we must hold our weight differently because at our height being under 200lbs rarely looks good. More power to ya man. Im steadily losing weight at 4600 cals and loving it still. Everyone is different. Go get your BMR and VO2 max tested. 2 sessions and my whole views on my diet had to change.