70s bodybuilding diet

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Okay so I recently watched a video on YouTube of Ric drasin who explained what the bodybuilders in the 1970s would eat. It was basically high fat high protein extremely low carbs. Basic meals would be something like cheese omelette hamburger patties cottage cheese tuna salad steak chicken or fish. They avoided rice bread potatoes Etc. One day a week they would cheat and go crazy and have pizza ice cream whatever they want and then go back to the diet during the week. I would like to try this but I work as a garbage man running behind a truck and throwing barrels and I think I would probably pass out from not having the carbs. Lately what I have done is just removed all refined sugars and only eat low-gi Foods like fruits vegetables very small portions of long grain rice and very small portions of steel cut oats or potatoes and I have significantly increased my fat intake. So basically the main question is how many quality carbs should I be eating throughout the day that will provide me with adequate energy and muscle glycogen without storing excess body fat. 200grams is a good guess? Anyone have any idea? Thanks

Daff

Daff

Awards
  • Established
Iv been reading about the 60s70s bodybuilding diet with an all you can eat cheatday sounds good, it will be intresting to see what more of the expirence lads on here think I was thinking of trying it but the highcholesterol and today's supplements would it be worth it, this will be a good intresting topic bro I'm in and let me know how it works for you

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Iv been reading about the 60s70s bodybuilding diet with an all you can eat cheatday sounds good, it will be intresting to see what more of the expirence lads on here think I was thinking of trying it but the highcholesterol and today's supplements would it be worth it, this will be a good intresting topic bro I'm in and let me know how it works for you
Yeah I'm not onboard 100% because I think I'll crash without carbs so I'm slowly implementing it. For example I'm having breakfast right now, 6 whole eggs fried in a quarter stick of butter with an entire package of bacon and a hunk of feta cheese. I also made 1/4th cup of steel cut oats and sprinkled it over the eggs. That gives me 30grams of low glycemic carbs. Throughout the day I'm just gonna eat meat and veggies and fruits like broccoli spinach bananas mandarins grapes and what not. As far as starches go it will be like a very small portion of long grain rice with a high fat meal. I'm thinking I might be able to ween myself into this without crashing. Plus, all medical studies show that high cholesterol diets with tons of fat improve your heart health. All that low fat anti cholesterol crap was a load of **** by our corporate controlled government

Daff

Daff

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I'm not onboard 100% because I think I'll crash without carbs so I'm slowly implementing it. For example I'm having breakfast right now, 6 whole eggs fried in a quarter stick of butter with an entire package of bacon and a hunk of feta cheese. I also made 1/4th cup of steel cut oats and sprinkled it over the eggs. That gives me 30grams of low glycemic carbs. Throughout the day I'm just gonna eat meat and veggies and fruits like broccoli spinach bananas mandarins grapes and what not. As far as starches go it will be like a very small portion of long grain rice with a high fat meal. I'm thinking I might be able to ween myself into this without crashing. Plus, all medical studies show that high cholesterol diets with tons of fat improve your heart health. All that low fat anti cholesterol crap was a load of **** by our corporate controlled government
Looks like im comeing to yours for breakfast its an intresting read and you can't argue with the results, keep me posted how you get on, I might jump on this with you

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I seem to recall reading an average person can store around 400g carb as glycogen in muscle and a further 100g in the liver.

I’ve always worked on the basis that if I keep my carb intake below 400g per day I’m unlikely to gain fat. But, I do a lot of cardio and lift 5x per week so I know I’m burning pretty much everything stored most days. I get most of my carbs in early, straight after fasted cardio, before I lift and straight after. Mainly fats and protein in the evenings.

Another t nation article I read suggest 100g per day was a magic carb number - taken pre and post workout it was enough fuel the session and recovery after but low enough to provide fat loss as well.

Ultimately we are all individual and what works for one won’t work for another.

Daff

Daff

Awards
  • Established
I seem to recall reading an average person can store around 400g carb as glycogen in muscle and a further 100g in the liver.

I’ve always worked on the basis that if I keep my carb intake below 400g per day I’m unlikely to gain fat. But, I do a lot of cardio and lift 5x per week so I know I’m burning pretty much everything stored most days. I get most of my carbs in early, straight after fasted cardio, before I lift and straight after. Mainly fats and protein in the evenings.

Another t nation article I read suggest 100g per day was a magic carb number - taken pre and post workout it was enough fuel the session and recovery after but low enough to provide fat loss as well.

Ultimately we are all individual and what works for one won’t work for another.
You know your s#it bro

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yup i watched Ric drasin a lot. Arnold at the recent Arnold classic seminar said before a show hed go to house of pies and eat some stuff. That is why they werent as ripped as guys now a days.

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok so in order to reach ketosis you have to watch your protein intake and do all this wacky stuff. Forget it! I'm most likely burning muscle mass and protein instead of stored fat. What I'm gonna do is take in a small amount of carbs at breakfast and then go to work, maybe have a banana at work, when home I'll have a pre-work meal with a small amount of carbs and post workout meal with again small carbs and then meal before bed with no carbs. All refined sugars will be cut out and that's basically all. Maybe 100-200 carbs a day. I can't do this keto thing it's too damn complicated

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Ok so in order to reach ketosis you have to watch your protein intake and do all this wacky stuff. Forget it! I'm most likely burning muscle mass and protein instead of stored fat. What I'm gonna do is take in a small amount of carbs at breakfast and then go to work, maybe have a banana at work, when home I'll have a pre-work meal with a small amount of carbs and post workout meal with again small carbs and then meal before bed with no carbs. All refined sugars will be cut out and that's basically all. Maybe 100-200 carbs a day. I can't do this keto thing it's too damn complicated
Yeah thats how i feel about most diets... Lol tracking calories and macros and all that crap is a little much for me. I just work hard, smash weights, and try to eat clean.