Sweet tooth

Jcc7220

Awards
I never really have a craving for sweets. Not that I don’t like it but actually craving it like I’m hungry and the only thing my eye sees is sweets and I have to control the saliva in my mouth.
I have been eating a very strict diet I eat
-Baked chicken breast light garlic seasoning blend
-Plain White quinoa little salt
-vegetables(Brussels sprouts, stringbeans, or Broccoli)
I’ll through in salmon and I take fish oil
and my vitamins when I remember

I fell off my diet last week because I went on vacation not to bad I brought my food with me but I didn’t stop myself from indulging.
Is this craving like a rebound from indulging or something else?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
My personal opinion (you’ll find studies both for and against this so it’s just my personal view) is that sugar (or anything sweet) is addictive.

It activates the mesolimbic dopamine system in the brain causing the release of dopamine in response to a rewarding event - this makes you want more of it (very similar to cocaine etc in that regard).

Sugar in particular, does very little in the way of satiety so typically people won’t be satisfied after consuming it hence the desire to eat more food generally.

I had this myself over Christmas, I said ‘**** it’ for a few days (I eat clean literally all year) and struggled badly to get things back on track - (I used to be very fat through over eating and a bad diet so you’d think I’d have the ability to control it better as I know where it ends up but it was tougher than I thought). I also used to be an alcoholic (for many years and very badly) - not too dissimilar in terms of the way both crap foods and alcohol affect me.

Good news is that a strong will for a week and all returned to normal and I was back in the swing so just get back on it and stick it out brother.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Whisky hit the nail on the head. Even if you aren't typically craving sweet and savory foods, your body will begin to crave them if you've been on a strict diet for an extended period. Since sugar and "feel good foods" are addictive, your body will begin to crave them at a certain point.

In my opinion, if you go away or have a few days around a holiday that you fall off your diet a bit it isn't a big deal. Just pick back up where you left off and keep moving forward. I also find that the "out of sight, out of mind" theory works very well for me in this area. If it isn't in my kitchen cabinets I won't crave it or want it. But if there's a plate of cookies and crap in front of me, I'll probably begin to crave it lol

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My personal opinion (you’ll find studies both for and against this so it’s just my personal view) is that sugar (or anything sweet) is addictive.

It activates the mesolimbic dopamine system in the brain causing the release of dopamine in response to a rewarding event - this makes you want more of it (very similar to cocaine etc in that regard).

Sugar in particular, does very little in the way of satiety so typically people won’t be satisfied after consuming it hence the desire to eat more food generally.

I had this myself over Christmas, I said ‘**** it’ for a few days (I eat clean literally all year) and struggled badly to get things back on track - (I used to be very fat through over eating and a bad diet so you’d think I’d have the ability to control it better as I know where it ends up but it was tougher than I thought). I also used to be an alcoholic (for many years and very badly) - not too dissimilar in terms of the way both crap foods and alcohol affect me.

Good news is that a strong will for a week and all returned to normal and I was back in the swing so just get back on it and stick it out brother.
This. I have seen similar studies.

I have also seen studies that show a correlation between craving certain foods and the context in which you ate those foods. For example, if you had an apple pie on your vacation, you may crave apple pie. Not because you want something sweet or sugary, but because you had a good experience, vacation in this sense, and apple pie was part of the equation. So you don't crave the apple pie so much, but rather the vacation (satisfaction/good memories) or event you associate the apple pie with.

TheButtman

Awards
I used to be fat, and loved savory over sweet. Once I lost weight and started working out/watching my diet, I started to have a major sweet tooth. The other posters have it right in that not being able to have something makes you want it more.

Ice cream is the best though.

CDale

CDale

Awards
How effective do you guys actually find using fruits for a sugar substitute?

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I too used to be very fat and now I'm just husky but what helped me, and I know this is pretty obvious, is just not buying unhealthy foods at the grocery store. That way, if I was at home and I really really wanted some ice cream, I could go buy one, but half the time I wouldn't want to make a trip just for that and even if I did, it meant I had ice cream once instead of buying a tub and eating it every day.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There is also a correlation between stress levels (cortisol) and craving sweets. Do you notice these cravings occur in the mornings or evenings (times cortisol is at it's peek)?

TooMuchSauce

Awards
When im craving something sweet and want to keep it healthy.

Almond milk
almond butter
blue berries
Dark cacao....chocolate that actually has help benefits

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Then have something sweet
I like something sweet after dinner so I have something. I found chocolate covered rice cakes from stew Leonard’s that taste amazing and are 45 cals each and are filling with just 2.
Few nights ago I made protein muffins with sugar free chocolate chips and Kodiak mix

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Weight Loss 21
Weight Loss 9
Recipes 11
vector18 Nutrition / Health 5
lennoxchi General Chat 13