Keto Macros

D

Diesel4874

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Anyone have real experience of the Macro Spilt needed on a Keto Diet for Fat Loss? I think my past my Protein was way too high and fat was too low.

Sniper9191

Sniper9191

Awards
I have been Keto on and off for the last year. My first go around I had my protein too high. It seems in the bro science they say it’s not a big deal. I use the my fitness pal app and try to hit 70% fat, 25% Protein, and 5% fat. I feel a lot better that way as well. I also am dabbling in the intermittent fasting as well.

jdwaca

jdwaca

Awards
Anyone have real experience of the Macro Spilt needed on a Keto Diet for Fat Loss? I think my past my Protein was way too high and fat was too low.
My entire pre contest diet is keto. I have no problem losing fat while consuming high amounts protein. Direct carbs are zero. Protein is 300g/day. Fats vary. They start out high, and gradually decrease every 2 weeks or so as I get closer to competition. If you’re training, you NEED the protein. If you’re not really training, but just looking to burn fat, then you could probably get away with lower protein intake.

Fat2fit2017

Fat2fit2017

Awards
If fat LOSS is your goal, the absolute most important macro to hit is protein. I run roughly 3% carbs, 32% protein, 65% fat. The idea is that your body already has an abundant source of fat from which to consume, so exogenous fat intake is a little less important than some people would lead you to believe.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
What split did you use?

Protein at bodyweight is about as high as I would try on keto, so 185lbs now I’d have 185g protein, as few net carbs as possible and fat for the rest. At very restrictive calorie totals you may lose ketosis over it but I would personally still consume more protein to facilitate recovery and lean mass maintenance.

D

Diesel4874

Awards
  • First Up Vote

Thats pretty much what I plan on running. I would say before my protein was like 350 grams daily and fats more like 100 to 125 daily.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
What was your carb Intake before?

Could you drop that under 50? 72 seems high for keto but I know some active larger guys still get away with it

D

Diesel4874

Awards
  • First Up Vote
What was your carb Intake before?

Could you drop that under 50? 72 seems high for keto but I know some active larger guys still get away with it
I was around that I could get under 50 but Im at 72 with a 42 net with 30 of that being Fiber. Im but Im about 250 lbs... Before I was at 70 to 80 but I was honestly thinking the excess protein was being turned into glucose as Ive read is possible. Appreciate the feedback greatly

KetoPhysique

KetoPhysique

Awards

Thats pretty much what I plan on running. I would say before my protein was like 350 grams daily and fats more like 100 to 125 daily.
WOW... that protein is very high... unless you weight like 350 lbs. :)

I have tried protein as high as 1.5g/lb and as low as .8g/lb over the past 2 years while doing keto. .8-1g/lb is good is a little better for fat loss and 1-1.2g is a little better for muscle gain (bulking). Since fat loss is your goal, try to eliminate as many sweet things as you can. Drink water or tea, avoid sugar alcohols, too. They may not have calories, but sweet foods/drinks will cause an insulin response. Keep insulin in check and you will melt the fat faster.

I would go with 1g protein per pound of lean body mass, 25g net carbs (carbs minus fiber) and then fat for the rest of your daily calories.