Who on here can admit that bodybuilding saved their life?

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Ok normal thread time for all of you I guess you could say.

Anyway, how many of you can fully admit that getting involved in bodybuilding made you change your lifestyle completely for the better?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm starting to know what threads are yours just by the titles lol. Bodybuilding did not save my life but I know a few ppl who had drug problems who have been clean for 5-10years with bodybuilding being there new fix.

Hahafreak

Hahafreak

Awards
I can definitely admit it, it's my new addiction, seeking knowledge and gaining strength and size

Ase_james

Awards
Id say a severe improvement in life quality. From my teen years to about 30 i just partied and ate garbage, not really doing anything healthy at all. Powders in the morning and booze at night.

I was in pretty good shape in my 20s working on a roof.

Started fallimg apart in my late 20s picked up running which made me quit smoking. Thwn lifting, which helped cut the drinking way down.

Now im almost 40 and wont eat cake on the wrong day.

Id say thats a good addition to my life. I still have a good time, but never want to go all out and loose gains.

Low

Low

Awards
I can attest to That! My life was miserable I was trapped in self pity and heavy drug use. I would have been better off dead, seriously! Being overweight my entire life made me hate myself. One change I made was my diet and I started exercising. The weight flew off of me. I eat very clean now. My girlfriend thinks I'm weird because of my healthy food choices, how I refuse to eat fast foods or even some of the things she bakes. I don't cut corners I don't eat garbage foods, but this change in my diet is what has given me balance and a solid foundation. Being in top cardiovascular shape, body building and clean eating has given me confidence in myself. For once in my life I can stand alone and be proud of who I am. I know what I am capable of and I am learning more each day who I am. Because of bodybuilding I love myself. I do not need anyone, I am not dependant on anyone for love and affection. I am all that I need. I do not need someone to cook for me, clean for me, or to motivate me. Because of bodybuilding and the discipline it has taught me I now know that I am enough, and no matter what I will take care of myself first. I am training to become a personal trainer with NASM and get my group fitness cert as I teach kickboxing classes on saturdays. Because of bodybuilding I am a straight A student at my college. Never before in my life have I gotten all A's, but now all I care about is my education, physical fitness, and my future. Because of bodybuilding I have put myself first!! Okay I'm done, I just can't say enough of how my life has changed thanks to bodybuilding!!!

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lifting is awesome. You know you are dedicated when you start to see people who I joined with stop coming.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

What I really enjoy about bodybuilding is that it keeps you focused and away from bad habits when it comes to personal health. You have to be dedicated and there are just certain things you cannot do if you want good gains. You need to get plenty of sleep, stay hydrated, count your "macros", and cook your own meals. Bodybuilding just develops lots of good habits that keep you on a straight positive path when it comes to caring for and taking care of your own body, along with lots of discipline! Before bodybuilding I would have looked at you like you were nuts telling me if I could have a drink or not. Or going out all weekend and partying Friday and Saturday night was bad. Now I don't even have an interest really in doing those things cause I'd much rather get proper rest and hit the gym instead on Fridays and Saturdays.

I think back about the days in my early 20's, staying out all night long and then doing it all over again. No way would I be able to do that now and thats because I am involved in bodybuilding.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Prior to starting BB I had probably 40+% BF, BP of up to 220/120, triglyceride 780, anxiety, panic attacks, enlarged left ventricle of the heart, fatty liver and a myriad of other problems like GERD.

Now, after 2+ years, BF 17%, BP 142/80, all other values in range. BB did save my life.

By the way, the AM community helped me all the way to accomplish it!

2 years.jpg

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Prior to starting BB I had probably 40+% BF, BP of up to 220/120, triglyceride 780, anxiety, panic attacks, enlarged left ventricle of the heart, fatty liver and a myriad of other problems like GERD.

Now, after 2+ years, BF 17%, BP 142/80, all other values in range. BB did save my life.

By the way, the AM community helped me all the way to accomplish it!

View attachment 158704
Wow you look fantastic! Keep it up! Bad ass brother!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow you look fantastic! Keep it up! Bad ass brother!
Thank you, I'm still working on the "fantastic" part, LOL. The downside of BB is, you are never satisfied with the results.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Thank you, I'm still working on the "fantastic" part, LOL. The downside of BB is, you are never satisfied with the results.
I agree 100% as I am the same way. 10 people can tell me I look great and I still feel I’m nowhere close to where I want to be. You and I would make good lifting brothers :)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bodybuilding saved my life or at the very least it improved it majorily

After I graduated high school i got in with the wrong crowd, its my fault, I could have not hung around them, and smoked lots of weed, eventually got into x, which I abused, Im not saying these things arnt okay used very infrequently but I did them excessively. Just hang around extremely bad people for me.

At twenty I cleaned up my act starting training, then at twenty one started bodybuilding, by twenty two I was into reading peak performance programs, audio and books, and set a goal for myself. Its probably "normal" what i did after high school; although I may have overdone it, and then I went straight edge from 21-33. At 33 I allow some fun once in a while like maybe going out to a club once every few months. Recently I went out to a club had some fun, and I realized I didnt like it. I think there has to be a limit to where you stop and going out, partying too much, and most importantly hanging out with people who are not responsible will bring you down. That said, Ive learned about myself, made plenty mistakes, and as long as Ive learned from them and do not repeat them, mission accomplished. Like Yoda in the new star wars the last jedi, says Failures are what make of great, if we learn from them. That line right there made that movie having substance for me

Competition is a totally different area then living this lifestyle on track most of the time and it takes a whole different breed of people to do that. I've gotten ready for five, and done four , one show was canceled, and contest prep can really test a person and make them stronger, more resilient, and beautiful.