Do you feel that bodybuilders diets were more relaxed 30-40 years ago?

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Compared to today? Was counting macros even a thing back then?

Watching Pumping Iron last night and here's a good example. Lou Ferrigno came from a strong Italian family, and his mother was always cooking food for the family. Lou would always eat her home cooking. Can't imagine him refusing without a slap to the face by his mom and dad who also let me add retired to become his personal trainer. In one scene he's feasting on fried chicken, pasta, bread and some salad.

Today you hear of guys bringing their prepped meals to the dinner table and eating differently than everyone else. Back then I would think that was not as common.

Your thoughts?

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Way more knowledge now with less old school mentality. Many people back then kept the same diets but just changed the compounds (i heard)

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Way more knowledge now with less old school mentality. Many people back then kept the same diets but just changed the compounds (i heard)
Interesting. So eating foods that only a guy in the "offseason" would think of eating nowadays, were consumed pretty much year round no matter if they were in contest prep or not.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Couple of things, 1. Just cus you saw him do that in a few movie scenes doesn't mean he did all the time. 2. Those guys trained 2x as long and did way more physical activity which leads for more error and 3. They didn't have processed boxed garbage like we do today.4. they did not come in peeled like the guys today do

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I laugh because apparently no one has seen jay cutlers fat obese ass in the off season. He looks disgusting in the off season and eats absolute ****. They use more drugs today that allows for more error. If anyone here thinks pro bodybuilders eat clean all the time I have one question. How far removed from reality are you? They eat clean when cameras are on them. I’ve talked to many guys who eat complete crap because they’re on so much gear and step on stage peeled. The drugs allow for more error not the so called opinion that they train longer and harder. They only train longer because the drugs allow for it and they certainly don’t train harder. I see guys on gear who compete taking their sweet ****ing time to complete a few sets. Talking and laughing with friends. I’m so sick of hearing people not giving credit where credit is due. Without steroids they wouldn’t even place in a competition. They’d be 50-100 pounds lighter and with a much higher bodyfat percentage or they’d just be fat with big muscles. Can’t have it both ways! Only steroids and other drugs allow you to be big AND ripped!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
More relaxed, maybe. But I don't think it has anything to do with being more relaxed versus more strict. This issue is due more to the amount of information and science we have now.

For example, look at athletes in other professional sports. 20-30 years ago, their nutrition was not great, sleeping habits were poor and a lot of these guys would party after a game and hell, even smoke in a locker room. Now, you see athletes spending upwards of a million dollars on massages, yoga, other body treatments, and a lot of these guys even have their own nutritionist and chefs.

This relates to bodybuilding and just the average gym goer as well. We have more information readily available to us. In another 20-30 years, what we deem as strict is going to be relaxed and people will have new methods to follow which we will shake our heads at.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I laugh because apparently no one has seen jay cutlers fat obese ass in the off season. He looks disgusting in the off season and eats absolute ****. They use more drugs today that allows for more error. If anyone here thinks pro bodybuilders eat clean all the time I have one question. How far removed from reality are you? They eat clean when cameras are on them. I’ve talked to many guys who eat complete crap because they’re on so much gear and step on stage peeled. The drugs allow for more error not the so called opinion that they train longer and harder. They only train longer because the drugs allow for it and they certainly don’t train harder. I see guys on gear who compete taking their sweet ****ing time to complete a few sets. Talking and laughing with friends. I’m so sick of hearing people not giving credit where credit is due. Without steroids they wouldn’t even place in a competition. They’d be 50-100 pounds lighter and with a much higher bodyfat percentage or they’d just be fat with big muscles. Can’t have it both ways! Only steroids and other drugs allow you to be big AND ripped!
You’re the ultimate gear delusional hater. You’re the one removed from reality here bud. Mike Ely, one of my close friends is an IFBB Pro with a few top 10 placing (tier 3 shows). Guy never came off his diet, even in the off season as clients shows he brought his cooler with him to our hotel room and all 16 meals were there.

Closest he would get is eating 3-4 protein bars as a “meal”

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You’re the ultimate gear delusional hater. You’re the one removed from reality here bud. Mike Ely, one of my close friends is an IFBB Pro with a few top 10 placing (tier 3 shows). Guy never came off his diet, even in the off season as clients shows he brought his cooler with him to our hotel room and all 16 meals were there.

Closest he would get is eating 3-4 protein bars as a “meal”
Nope actually I’m completely right and spot on. You’re delusional ;) You’re just too insecure to admit that without steroids you wouldn’t be anything :) lol. If steroids don’t do **** then stop taking them. You RELY on them. I’ve seen your posts. Also I never said all IFBB pros. Just most.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
But plenty, and I mean plenty, of people use, and abuse all sorts of steroids, hormones, etc and look nothing like pro bodybuilders, not even in the same planet in terms of mass and leanness. If it’s all drugs, then whoever uses the most and best drugs would be the best bodybuilder, which clearly isn’t the case. You can find some morons on social media/YouTube/etc talking about how much gear they use, yet they can’t hold a candle to pros. Why is this? If it’s all gear, shouldn’t they be among the best if they use the most/best drugs? Yes, drugs play a major role in professional bodybuilding, but all pros use drugs, so there has to be something(s) else that determines who is elite and who isn’t; genetics, training, diet, etc.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nope actually I’m completely right and spot on. You’re delusional ;) You’re just too insecure to admit that without steroids you wouldn’t be anything :) lol. If steroids don’t do **** then stop taking them. You RELY on them. I’ve seen your posts. Also I never said all IFBB pros. Just most.

Oh yeah. You mean like this? Done without roids numb nuts

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Impressive work right there. Good luck to you in your quest for being the best. Have you ever considered going after your pro card?
Thank you. Um, I toy around with the pursuit but it’s a pretty tall task. I plan on taking the entire 2018 year to grow and see where I stand. Perhaps some national shows in 2019.

According to some in this thread I just need to “take more steroids” and I’ll be there lol

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Oh yeah. You mean like this? Done without roids numb nuts

You’re so full of ****! Lol I can’t stop laughing at how stupid you think I am! You are not natural in those photos. Second why is your shirt off in what looks like a children’s day care you ****ing creepy weirdo. So this is when those photos are from. Please please tell me what pretty much natural means! Lololol there’s no such thing as pretty much natural. You either are or you aren’t and you can’t claim natural just because you did multiple cycles and finished PCT. so again what is pretty much natural? Explain

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

You’re so full of ****! Lol I can’t stop laughing at how stupid you think I am! You are not natural in those photos. Second why is your shirt off in what looks like a children’s day care you ****ing creepy weirdo. So this is when those photos are from. Please please tell me what pretty much natural means! Lololol there’s no such thing as pretty much natural. You either are or you aren’t and you can’t claim natural just because you did multiple cycles and finished PCT. so again what is pretty much natural? Explain
My show was early November and PCT until dec then was off everything? Off everything for 8 months?

Ok bud, sorry. You’re clearly just jealous of me...it’s ok, get in line

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

Bro according to you everyone is on roids. Are you one of those dudes that go to the gym or just walk around looking at guys with a better physique than you, and say well **** he has to be taking roids

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not to stir the pot, but there is some research that at least suggests that even after cessation of steroid use for several years (and withdrawal of training too), some characteristics of steroid users’ muscle was permanently changed (muscle fiber size and the number of nuclei per muscle fiber), similar to that of people currently using AAS, and higher than current lifters who never used steroids:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/breakingmuscle.com/amp/fitness/once-you-ve-used-steroids-is-it-possible-to-ever-compete-clean-again
Similar research has been conducted in a more controlled environment, but with mice:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1113/jphysiol.2013.264457/abstract
and also similar research, also in rodents, that seem to indicate a “muscle memory” resulting from previous musculature which makes it easier to get back to where you once were than trying to get there from scratch (no steroid use in this case):
http://m.pnas.org/site/misc/selections_8_16_10.shtml#muscle

TL;DR: Distilled Water, I respect the hell out of you, and you clearly work hard and have a great physique for anyone, natural or otherwise, and having used in the past clearly isn’t the same as currently using, or having used very recently, but if you did use a good amount in the past (more than a cycle or two I’d say), which I’m not sure of, as I don’t know your history, then it may not quite be entirely accurate to say that you’re exactly “natty.”

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Not to stir the pot, but there is some research that at least suggests that even after cessation of steroid use for several years (and withdrawal of training too), some characteristics of steroid users’ muscle was permanently changed (muscle fiber size and the number of nuclei per muscle fiber), similar to that of people currently using AAS, and higher than current lifters who never used steroids:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/breakingmuscle.com/amp/fitness/once-you-ve-used-steroids-is-it-possible-to-ever-compete-clean-again
Similar research has been conducted in a more controlled environment, but with mice:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1113/jphysiol.2013.264457/abstract
and also similar research, also in rodents, that seem to indicate a “muscle memory” resulting from previous musculature which makes it easier to get back to where you once were than trying to get there from scratch (no steroid use in this case):
http://m.pnas.org/site/misc/selections_8_16_10.shtml#muscle

TL;DR: Distilled Water, I respect the hell out of you, and you clearly work hard and have a great physique for anyone, natural or otherwise, and having used in the past clearly isn’t the same as currently using, or having used very recently, but if you did use a good amount in the past (more than a cycle or two I’d say), which I’m not sure of, as I don’t know your history, then it may not quite be entirely accurate to say that you’re exactly “natty.”
He's not saying he is natty. He's saying he got there natty and now has enhanced it with extra help. Just to clarify.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He's not saying he is natty. He's saying he got there natty and now has enhanced it with extra help. Just to clarify.
He got where natty? I’d be curious to see what his peak physique before any use (besides any properly-dosed/prescribed TRT, if that is relevant here, I don’t know). Of course, just using steroids without years of dedication and hard work (training, diet, etc.) won’t make you look like he does, or there’d be millions of people who look like him, which there aren’t. My point, which may not be all that relevant as I find more context, is that some real benefits of AAS use can persist long after stopping use. Almost makes one think of running a few reasonable, responsible cycles, doing proper PCT, and then just reaping at least some of the benefits long term in regards to muscle characteristics and likely capacity.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
https://instagram.com/p/BdQe26ylqnZ/

Food for thought. I’ll address a few questions later tonight. But yes I had cycled a few times before the pics above (2 preps and senior year college baseball season where I lost 15lbs lol) few other times cycles didn’t last more than a week or two (short esters)

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
https://instagram.com/p/BdQe26ylqnZ/

Food for thought. I’ll address a few questions later tonight. But yes I had cycled a few times before the pics above (2 preps and senior year college baseball season where I lost 15lbs lol) few other times cycles didn’t last more than a week or two (short esters)
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. What exactly is that link supposed to help us think about? Is it that you can still get big and shredded with minimal AAS use, that you don’t need to crazy dose to get results? Because he said that he did use AAS both times, just less the second.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. What exactly is that link supposed to help us think about? Is it that you can still get big and shredded with minimal AAS use, that you don’t need to crazy dose to get results? Because he said that he did use AAS both times, just less the second.
Don’t need huge doses