Can you lower your maintenance by eating in a deficit for an extended amount of time?

GetRekt

Awards
So I've heard of people raising their metabolism while maintaining body mass by slowly adding in calories, could someone lower their metabolism by slowly taking away calories?

JG93

JG93

Awards
I'm in for this pissing match.
I don't think lowering calories will lower your metabolism as long as you keep working to keep it up.
I'm not well informed on this matter, from my experience, low calories, has done great for me.
Went from 240 to 202 in 4 months with a 6 week aas cycle to gain muscle.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Yes.

Regularely lowered intake will slow metabolism to a degree.

Paired with the weight loss (some lean) it is inevitable, unless you are very lucky lol

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Driven covered it, but the answer is yes. Just as adding calories slowly can increase your metabolism, decreasing them for extended periods can decrease your metabolism as well. Also keep in mind that as you lose weight, your body will not need as many calories to maintain that specific weight.

For example, look at athletes in contest prep. They diet down and lower calories significantly during prep, which takes a toll on their metabolisms. Competitors that choose to go back to eating their original calorie maintenance will typically gain a significant amount of weight because of they have decreased their body weight and slowed their metabolism in the process of contest prep.

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
If you eat less and drop weight, logic says you need less calories to maintain that less weight. Am I missing something?

GetRekt

Awards
Yes.

Regularely lowered intake will slow metabolism to a degree.

Paired with the weight loss (some lean) it is inevitable, unless you are very lucky lol
interesting, thank you

If you eat less and drop weight, logic says you need less calories to maintain that less weight. Am I missing something?
I mean in the respect to slowly lowering calories so as to not lose weight

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
interesting, thank you

I mean in the respect to slowly lowering calories so as to not lose weight
If you do it for a long period of time you will lose weight. Unless you "substitute" fat with muscle, but thats an other story.