do you count veggies as apart of your carb intake?

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you guys count your veggies and fiber as part of your carb intake? I'm curious as to why you do or don't.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Root veges yes, if other then no. Fibre isn't used by the body for energy so the energy content is very negligible.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Root veges yes, if other then no. Fibre isn't used by the body for energy so the energy content is very negligible.
Examples of root veggies ? And so I can take my total carb intake and subtract the fiber count and that's my carbs for the day then?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Potatoes and Kumara/ sweet potato are root veges. If fibre is included as a part of the total then yeah you can do it that way.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Potatoes and Kumara/ sweet potato are root veges. If fibre is included as a part of the total then yeah you can do it that way.
Oh alright. So things like brocelli wouldn't be counted then. Of course carrots are root veggies too. Thanks jigz

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
I count everything, don't see why you wouldn't but some dont

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I only count starchy veggies. Green and leafy veggies aren't counted

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Basically any kind of green veggies. Your actually burning more calories than they contain trying to digest em so stack that plate with greens

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
Bit of everything mentioned earlier

averyclay

averyclay

Awards
Hi there,

Yes we should count our carb intake definiteley.

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you guys count your veggies and fiber as part of your carb intake? I'm curious as to why you do or don't.
I don't count my dark greens as carbs, I eat as much as I want, with all six meals.. A specially when I was getting ready for my first show, that's the only thing that kept me going,ha ha... Might b different for guys though:)

eluruguayo

eluruguayo

Awards
There's no straight answer to this, because it depends on the purpose of the counting.

Basically, if the goal is to stay under some extremely low carb threshold—if you're trying to put together a ketogenic diet, for instance—then, yes, you absolutely must take vegetables into account. Too many vegetables, like too many of X other carbohydrate food, will boot you out of ketosis.

In other cases, you can get away with ignoring most greens—NOT because they "have negative calories" or "burn more than they contain",*** but because people simply don't eat enough of them to add up to a non-negligible amount of food energy. For instance, even if you eat two pounds of spinach, that's only about 150 calories, with about 20g of protein and 20g of "net impact" (= non-fiber) carbs.
So, you can ignore them for the same reason you can ignore the $10 shipping cost on a $500 order of supplements. $10 is still $10, but, in relative terms, the difference is insignificant.

Still, you should check up on the foods you eat, because the dictum that "green vegetables are negligible" has its exceptions. For instance, 2 pounds of spinach is only 20g protein/20g non-fiber carbs/150 cals, but 2 pounds of kale—which doesn't seem that different from spinach—has 30g protein/80g non-fiber carbs/about 450 cals. So ignoring the kale, probably not such a hot idea.

---

***If you really want to exploit this whole principle, there's no need to f*** with celery or broccoli; just drink boatloads of ice-cold water. If you remember "specific heat" from high school chemistry, you'll know that the energy your body needs just to warm that water up to body temperature is a lot more than the energy used to digest celery.
Do the math. Q=m*c*ΔT. For every 1 liter of ice-cold water that your body has to warm up to body temp of 37ºC, that's (1000g)(1 cal/gºC)(37ºC) = 37 calories. Boom.
Drinking four liters (= about a gallon) of ice-cold water per day buys you 4 x 37 = 148 "free" calories a day, unless you are a hypothermic arctic reptile.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There's no straight answer to this, because it depends on the purpose of the counting.

Basically, if the goal is to stay under some extremely low carb threshold--if you're trying to put together a ketogenic diet, for instance--then, yes, you absolutely must take vegetables into account. Too many vegetables, like too many of X other carbohydrate food, will boot you out of ketosis.

In other cases, you can get away with ignoring most greens--NOT because they "have negative calories" or "burn more than they contain",*** but because people simply don't eat enough of them to add up to a non-negligible amount of food energy. For instance, even if you eat two pounds of spinach, that's only about 150 calories, with about 20g of protein and 20g of "net impact" (= non-fiber) carbs.
So, you can ignore them for the same reason you can ignore the $10 shipping cost on a $500 order of supplements. $10 is still $10, but, in relative terms, the difference is insignificant.

Still, you should check up on the foods you eat, because the dictum that "green vegetables are negligible" has its exceptions. For instance, 2 pounds of spinach is only 20g protein/20g non-fiber carbs/150 cals, but 2 pounds of kale--which doesn't seem that different from spinach--has 30g protein/80g non-fiber carbs/about 450 cals. So ignoring the kale, probably not such a hot idea.

---

***If you really want to exploit this whole principle, there's no need to f*** with celery or broccoli; just drink boatloads of ice-cold water. If you remember "specific heat" from high school chemistry, you'll know that the energy your body needs just to warm that water up to body temperature is a lot more than the energy used to digest celery.
Do the math. Q=m*c*?T. For every 1 liter of ice-cold water that your body has to warm up to body temp of 37ºC, that's (1000g)(1 cal/gºC)(37ºC) = 37 calories. Boom.
Drinking four liters (= about a gallon) of ice-cold water per day buys you 4 x 37 = 148 "free" calories a day, unless you are a hypothermic arctic reptile.
Yes specific heat he he I'm a chemistry major anyway so this is in the back of my head. I just don't count them. Easy. Simple.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I don't count anything but protein and calories lightly. I don't eat anything but meats , fruits and veggies(no starches exempt occasional beans). No dairy either and it seems to working extremely well cutting fat. So whatever carbs I get are from fruits and vegetables and I try and make sure I get 1gm protein per lb body weight. I have one cheat day every 1-2 weeks where I eat whatever, however bad it is. After that I feel always make strength gains but I tend to burn out faster strength power wise but endurance is still good. I'm sure I would make better progress if I counted obsessively but Im doing great just listening to my body and keeping track in the back of my mind what I've eaten, eating clean and healthy and lifting as hard as I can plus some. I think the food counter apps are funny. Like really do you need that? Without technology you'd be fat because you can't watch what you eat better and be more educated about nutrition? Our culture has people so used to putting **** in thier bodies all the time that nobody naturally knows whats good for them. i eat what makes me feel best and healthiest and generally %99 of the time thats a very nutritous choice...When you smoke pot and post on forums you sometimes start having a conversation with your own post and get totally off topic. Sorry

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Basically, if the goal is to stay under some extremely low carb threshold—if you're trying to put together a ketogenic diet, for instance—then, yes, you absolutely must take vegetables into account. Too many vegetables, like too many of X other carbohydrate food, will boot you out of ketosis.

In other cases, you can get away with ignoring most greens—NOT because they "have negative calories" or "burn more than they contain",*** but because people simply don't eat enough of them to add up to a non-negligible amount of food energy. For instance, even if you eat two pounds of spinach, that's only about 150 calories, with about 20g of protein and 20g of "net impact" (= non-fiber) carbs.

Still, you should check up on the foods you eat, because the dictum that "green vegetables are negligible" has its exceptions. For instance, 2 pounds of spinach is only 20g protein/20g non-fiber carbs/150 cals, but 2 pounds of kale—which doesn't seem that different from spinach—has 30g protein/80g non-fiber carbs/about 450 cals. So ignoring the kale, probably not such a hot idea.

---

Do the math. Q=m*c*ΔT. For every 1 liter of ice-cold water that your body has to warm up to body temp of 37ºC, that's (1000g)(1 cal/gºC)(37ºC) = 37 calories. Boom.
You would eat 2 pounds of Kale? Seriously?

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Only corn, peas, carrots or others high is sugar.

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Question for 02sixxer... Did u compete in men's physique ?

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
During this pre contest on my carb cycle I was trying to stay below 60g of carbs (total: incl veggies, starches, fiber, misc in eggs/PB) on my low days
Needless to say I was tired and hungry after back to back low days!
Being a teacher, my students were not liking the extra assignments on my grumpy low carb days!

A buddy of mine who competes recommended my low days be below 60g "starchy" (mostly in the form of tuber veg) and to not worry about the fibrous carbs

So I adjusted my total carbs to about 80-100 on a low day trying to keep 1/2 the carbs starchy (sweet/white potato near workout time)
And the other 1/2 from fibrous veggies (spinach,cauliflower,string beans) and misc sources in protein foods (PB,eggs,whey)

Personally I felt like I need the little extra carbs to maintain muscle mass, helps me cut cravings for something unclean after the workout too

Portchop

Awards
The only stuff I don't count is thigs that are mainly fibre, with little to no usable carbs (spinach, other leafy greens). Also, if I'm only having a small amount of broccoli, cauliflower or cut green beans I usually don't bother, but if i have over a cup, then I add it.

I highly doubt it makes much of a difference, unless you're eating like 6 cups of broccoli a day that's unaccounted for in your macros.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just count any carbs that are not fiber. Staying under 30 grams a day.