Lifting on an empty stomach in the mornings...Bad?

Super Penguin

Super Penguin

Awards
Ok so due to my class schedule and choice of supps, I hvae to get up early to lift and the pre-work out stuff I recommends I take it on an empty stomach. Is lifting early in the morning with no sustainable foods in my stomach bad? I mean, will my body begin to burn muscle during my work out for energy?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
maybe get a pre workout like nano vapor. it kicks in pretty fast. maybe set a protien alarm clock. Try eating something small like a gornola bar and bannana = tons of carbs and doesnt effect my supplement in take.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
It's a good thing, IMO.

Plus, if you look around, there are articles going over how it is superior to working out in a non-fasted state.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
It's a good thing, IMO.

Plus, if you look around, there are articles going over how it is superior to working out in a non-fasted state.
I agree with OzarkaBrand. I am a big proponent of fasted workouts. That way you are really supersensitive to nutrients post workout.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
i always w/o early in the day 5am, i find it the best time to w/o, my body is well rested and no excuses to skip w/o, also your test levels are highest in the morning.
i usually take my pre drink and out the door i go, more recently ive been adding two scoops of ground oatmeal along with one scoop of protein

purebred

also your test levels are highest in the morning
are they also high at a later time of the day or does this only occur in the AM? I know human circadian rhythms vary from person to person but i remember learning physical strength peaks typically occurred 11am and 7pm.

could this have anything to do with test levels?

below is a table which provides a few examples of HCRs

Attachments

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
i dont have any studies i can point you to, I recall reading in articles in M&F and other magazines that stated that your test levels are higher in the morning, I must say that doesn't always translate to good/better workouts, I workout at noon on weekends and always get good workouts then.

purebred

i dont have any studies i can point you to, I recall reading in articles in M&F and other magazines that stated that your test levels are higher in the morning.
yeah i'm on the same boat. i'm just wondering where they got that from..

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
i have no idea how or where they got it from, i noticed at times it takes me longer to get in to my workouts and my lifts are not as great compared to afternoon workouts but regardless i still prefer to workout early in the day, I get it out of the way early. I was never consistent with my late day workouts (always made too many excuses not to go)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok so due to my class schedule and choice of supps, I hvae to get up early to lift and the pre-work out stuff I recommends I take it on an empty stomach. Is lifting early in the morning with no sustainable foods in my stomach bad? I mean, will my body begin to burn muscle during my work out for energy?
It depends on the individual (and what your goals are). You won't burn muscle for energy (unless you trained and then ate nothing); you will use your muscle glycogen stores (resistance training is anaerobic).

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
are they also high at a later time of the day or does this only occur in the AM? I know human circadian rhythms vary from person to person but i remember learning physical strength peaks typically occurred 11am and 7pm.

could this have anything to do with test levels?

below is a table which provides a few examples of HCRs
I think the first peak is full CNS availability plus peak testosterone levels, and the later peak is post evening nutrition and likely lowest cortisol levels of the day as a guess.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
I have been training fasted for three weeks now, and have watched my strength increase every week. Granted I do use BCAAs during my workout, and immediately following cardio I ingest my protein shake, and then eat a whole food meal as soon as possible.

So far so good for me.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my only real problem with it is using a preworkout. if I take in a bit too much in stims with no meal, it leaves me nauseous. particularly if its a preworkout that you are supposed to take an hour pre. Then it totally sucks, to get up at say 530, take the preworkout and still in the end get nothing to eat till after 8 :p

Irish Pilot

Irish Pilot

Awards
Im curious to hear more peoples response on this. Im a huge fan of early morning workouts (I get up early even on my days off!). I do fasted cardio, but usually try to get something in the gut before morning lifts...but for no specific reason other than fuel. Ive done a few fasted lift days, and they went fine provided I got my usual pre-wo boost (white flood) but dont do them routinely.

Ill have to start trying and see if it works for me ;)

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
I used to the guy who would try morning workouts and get to they gym and yawn between sets... I was definitely a evening lifter. Well up until a few months ago... its really all about routine... for most of us its a pain to go in the morning, but once youre there for 4,5,6 weeks it will be like nothing... was for me anyways!

And if you are gonna train on a empty stomach at least take a bottle of water with some xtend (BCAA's) in it, you'll thank me later! ha :thumbsup:

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
you know how i feel about no food in my stomach, but actually ive had to do the same thing because of school. i take RPM drink a whey shake 30 - 40 mins later with water. then go lift. Its good to get cut up for many reasons. GH, Nutrient Absorption, Metabolism, Using fat for energy, I just wouldn't do this if i was trying to bulk. I also dont think i would have the motivation if i didnt take some sort of pre work out boost.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
I have been training fasted for three weeks now, and have watched my strength increase every week. Granted I do use BCAAs during my workout, and immediately following cardio I ingest my protein shake, and then eat a whole food meal as soon as possible.

So far so good for me.
i've been doing this for one and a half years now and love it and i'm in a good mood for the rest of the day.

At first i had no appetite at all but used BCAA's and Beta Alanine which is a great combo.

Now I sometimes i have some whey in pineapple juice or sometimes fruit only and sometimes cereal. My suggestion is go with what you feel like at that hour of the morning but i do have better workouts with some light nutrition in me.

vadox6466

I don't understand how you'd feel "powerful" enough for a workout. If I lifted before I ate, the only thing that would be going through my mind the entire time would be how good the next meal is gonna taste.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
I don't understand how you'd feel "powerful" enough for a workout. If I lifted before I ate, the only thing that would be going through my mind the entire time would be how good the next meal is gonna taste.
That's what most people think when i tell them i work out at 4:00am but to the 12-15 of us who are there at that time it's a different story.

eg: I struggled to get 7-8 good reps with 65lb d/bs for shoulder presses at night after work but my first 4:00am session I used the 70lbs for 9 EASY ones.

My body and mind just seemed to click and that's what hooked me. Plus i save 60-70 minutes in traveling time, i park right out front, i stay back at work for overtime and i can spend more time with my family. It's all good for me.

Everyone's different though :)

Nutrition the day before is VERY important when you train that early.

purebred

i think this has a significant impact on your training if you're in the group who trains first thing in the day. reminds me of carb loading marathon runners implement during the week before the marathon event day.

vadox6466

That's what most people think when i tell them i work out at 4:00am but to the 12-15 of us who are there at that time it's a different story.

eg: I struggled to get 7-8 good reps with 65lb d/bs for shoulder presses at night after work but my first 4:00am session I used the 70lbs for 9 EASY ones.

My body and mind just seemed to click and that's what hooked me. Plus i save 60-70 minutes in traveling time, i park right out front, i stay back at work for overtime and i can spend more time with my family. It's all good for me.

Everyone's different though :)

I can understand going in the morning, but why do it on an empty stomach? I'd have at least a protein shake beforehand, otherwise I think I'd just end up nauseous.. preferably a whole meal. I'd rather eat right before my workout than go on an empty stomach

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can understand going in the morning, but why do it on an empty stomach? I'd have at least a protein shake beforehand, otherwise I think I'd just end up nauseous.. preferably a whole meal. I'd rather eat right before my workout than go on an empty stomach
yes, you would feel that way, and thats ok. It doesn't mean that its an ineffective protocol for everyone. Some people are unable to function on a keto diet at all, others it doesnt bother.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
I rarely train on an empty stomach now. I mentioned in my above post that i have something light.

Most of the time i'm up around 2:30 and have a small snack or shake then, whatever i feel like.

If i'm running a bit late or don't feel hungry i don't eat, simple. That's where the BCAA's come in handy. I also use some sort of stim as well which all seem to work better on empty or close to empty.

This is also when i drink the bulk of my water intake for the day

I have great workouts every time.

If i haven't eaten well the day before i will normally rest another day which is why i mentioned above the importance.

BTW i almost never train 2 days in a row any more. I'm 44 now and that extra rest day is very important for my recovery.