How long do you wait till you drink your post workout shake?

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I hate drinking a post workout shake immediately after finishing working out. Which is why I like sipping purplewraath during. I'm thinking about using a pw shake again. I was just wondering how long some people wait and why.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
-Drink 1/4 bottle and take 1 Glc tab.

3 Sets Snatch

-Drink 1/4 bottle and 1 Glc tab.

3 sets Clean & Jerk

3 sets Bent Over Row.

3 sets Military Press.

1/4 bottle has 12.5 grams WPI 50g total and each tab has 4grams of carbs 16g total.

Always smoke after!

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
I read a study, granted it was one study, I think by the University of Texas at Austin, saying it was better to wait about 40 minutes to let your body realize it needs..well I guess nutrition and it said taking it immediately hindered growth because it slowed the metabolism. Now keep in mind, that was one study, and your PWO shake may be different than theirs.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
diligence in taking your shakes is important.keeping in mind that timing is crucial while taking supplements or shakes.when your body can fully utilize its potenetial.best times to take your shake is upon waking.because your body will take to it really quickly as a result of the overnight mild starvation by sleeping.then your P.W.O shake is also important because of the strenouios excercise,and energy depletion.then the optional before bed shake,preffably caesin.due to its slow ingestion.all in all i usaully take my P.W.O shake right after w/o.i may wait 10 to 15 min. for my body to cool down and my heart rate to level out.reason for me is i want to prevent any type of protien deficency,catabolism.etc!..and i want to make sure that protien synthesis is not hindered in any way that could have been prevented.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Depends. usually 0-30 min for me.

PowerlifterMB

PowerlifterMB

Awards
As soon as possible, because whey takes a little bit to digest anyway along with fast digesting carbs.... Please don't eat fruit PWO it doesn't raise insulin barely at all.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
30 minutes pre workout, 10 minutes post workout.

Evolve

Awards
I mix it just before leaving the gym and sip it on the drive home.

AndreAnabolic

AndreAnabolic

Awards
about 5-10 minutes after my workout, i drink it in the changeroom before i hit the showers

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you're using PW intra-workout, I'd finish that as I finish my workout. The EAAs will provide for protein synthesis and recovery for the initial period after you're done lifting. I'd have a PWO shake approximately 30-45min after done lifting.

joeyd54543

Awards
I disagree with waiting 40 minutes. I read somewhere (Cant remember the source) where the body starts to hit a catabolic state without eating so long after a good workout. I like to go from my colleges gym to the caf within 10 minutes and drink my shake with a small meal.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I disagree with waiting 40 minutes. I read somewhere (Cant remember the source) where the body starts to hit a catabolic state without eating so long after a good workout. I like to go from my colleges gym to the caf within 10 minutes and drink my shake with a small meal.
I used to be 6'5" 300lbs, but after waiting SO LONG to drink my PWO......I became so catabolic and went down to 6'0" 200lbs.

The more minutes you wait, the more muscle you lose, this is very serious.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I hate drinking a post workout shake immediately after finishing working out. Which is why I like sipping purplewraath during. I'm thinking about using a pw shake again. I was just wondering how long some people wait and why.

depends on if im dieting or not,

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If he's drinking purple wraath intra-workout there's no way he'll be catabolic at the end of a workout. Waiting 30-40min won't impede his progress whatsoever in that situation. In fact, I've "read somewhere" that consuming a post-workout shake immediately upon finishing a workout can actually trigger less protein synthesis than if the subject waited for a little while.

Comparing research that used drinks consumed immediately after a workout (Tipton et al., 2001) versus those ingested an hour after training (Rasmussen et al., 2000), the results are surprising: it seems that post workout meal ingestion actually results in 30% lower protein synthesis rates than when we wait! So every time we thought that we were badass for drinking "as soon as the weight hit the floor, we were actually short changing ourselves.
Rasmussen, BB, Tipton KD, Miller SL, Wolf SE, and Wolfe RR. An oral essential amino acid-carbohydrate supplement enhances muscle protein anabolism after resistance exercise. J Appl Physiol 88: 386-392, 2000

Tipton KD, Rasmussen BB, Miller SL, Wolf SE, Owens-Stovall SK, Petrini BE, Wolfe RR. Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Aug;281(2):E197-206

The second paper is actually comparing a pre to a post-workout shake, but the post-workout shake was consumed immediately post-workout. In comparison to the post-workout shake administered a full hour later in the first paper, net protein synth is higher for the delayed shake.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
If you're using PW intra-workout, I'd finish that as I finish my workout. The EAAs will provide for protein synthesis and recovery for the initial period after you're done lifting. I'd have a PWO shake approximately 30-45min after done lifting.
I've actually been doing that lately. Finish the PW at the end of the workout so it's usually 45 mins before I have my shake. I can't see how this would be a bad idea.

jamesb2525

jamesb2525

Awards
when im leaving the gym and i drink it on the drive home

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
it really depends .. sometimes i will get done with a workout and i know my body needs that protein so i will have a shake right away other times i will wait up to thirty minutes... usually ill finish up in the gym .. jump in the hot tub with my girl(i get special massages in the hot tub that loosen me up alot ; ) ) ill sip a gaterade in the hot tub.. then about twenty thirty min later ill hit up the protein shake with a fat bowlski!!