Moo Milk vs Soy Milk

Moo Milk or Soy Milk with your Wheaties?

• Total voters
tanboy75019

tanboy75019

Awards
What do you have with your Wheaties? Moo Milk? or Soy Milk?

I start almost every morning with Kashi GoLean just because as a dry cereal, it has a crazy protein content of 13g (and 10g fiber - it's a great cereal). I mix in another 10g of whey protein and some fruit, and top off with a cup of soy milk (adds 7g protein) for a decent 30g of protein for breakfast. Now, after doing more research and being more body-conscious about what I'm actually eating, I'm debating switching back to milk (it does a body good - pass it on), reluctantly.

I like soy milk because of the long shelf life. With the cost of milk these days, I can get a half gallon of soy milk for about $1.99 shopping smart and buying, say in Aug, you can find expiration dates in early October. Typically, you get 6-7g of protein in a cup. Soy also has protective isoflavones. On the negative side, soy has phyto(plant-based) estrogens. No one agrees on whether or not it may be harmful.

Milk on the other hand, doesn't last quite as long and can cost just as much or more than the soy. If you don't drink it up, you wasted your cash. It can also has fat in it. (I would go for the skim). And, if you aren't watching where the milk came from, you could be injesting whatever hormones they gave the cows. However, it's a better protein. Typically, you may see 3-4g of protein in a cup.

Not harmful: drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA312211 (Can Soy Feminize a Boy?)
Aweful terrible, stop using it now: t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_diet_nutrition_bodybuilding/the_evils_of_soy

What's your poison? Moo Milk? or Soy?

zay1967

Banned
Awards
I used soy milk in my protein shakes and when I eat cereal or oatmeal. That is, until I read how it gives men oestrogen. I switched to organic rice milk, and believe me, it made a hug difference. Now, I admit that rice milk does not have as much protein as cow milk, but you can make up for that. I also admit that it cost more, but it has a long shelf life. Walmart is your best bet at getting it for about 2.50 for 64oz vs getting it for 6.00 at krogers

tanboy75019

tanboy75019

Awards
I used soy milk in my protein shakes and when I eat cereal or oatmeal. That is, until I read how it gives men oestrogen. I switched to organic rice milk, and believe me, it made a hug difference. Now, I admit that rice milk does not have as much protein as cow milk, but you can make up for that. I also admit that it cost more, but it has a long shelf life. Walmart is your best bet at getting it for about 2.50 for 64oz vs getting it for 6.00 at krogers
You know Zay, I have never considered rice milk. Maybe I should have included that in the poll! How's the taste? Do you have to get flavored rice milk to make it palatable? Or is it great "right out of the box"?

When you say it made a huge difference, are you saying that you saw an increase in gains once you switched over?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Leave the soy for soccar moms.

zay1967

Banned
Awards
The taste out of the box is good, but you can buy chocolate or vanilla flavors as well; I use the plain flavor. The difference I am referring to is the consistency of the shakes (not thick and pasty). I also noticed that I was less gassy (a lot less). The gains are probably comparable, but it was more lean. I did the change mainly for the other additional health reasons. Just give it a try for a while and see how it works for you.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I started drinking soy when milk began to give me horrendous gas and the sheits. more vitamins, same protein content, less fat and i would never drink enough of it to matter. beer raises estrogen levels as well but i dont drink soy milk like beer so..

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
http://www.milksucks.com/index2.asp

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
soy milk in kashi? Wow - overpriced crap.

Don't go with skim milk either - go with whole, and organic too if you can afford it - good fat profile and CLA to boot.

And don't bother overpaying for dry cereals, just go pick up some grains in bulk - way cheap and way tasty. Oats, groats, barley, quinoa, whatever, try 'em, they rock

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
doesnt reg milk have like 11g of protein per cup??? and thats a slow release protein at that meaning in the end youll absorb more...(more likely)

Forget the shelf life, I cant even keep a gallon in my fridge for just over a day!!! Between my son and I we go through 3 gallons every 2 days and we are both big and strong....

Milk def does a body good.

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
soy has actually the perfect carb to protein ratio and is a AWESOME choice to add to your post workout shake.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Regular milk.

Heavy cream even. Anything but soy.

Rah22491

Awards
2% milk good bit of carbs and protein moderate amount of fat

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Florida researcher, Robert Cade, M.D., and his colleagues have identified a milk protein, casomorphin, as the probable cause of attention deficit disorder and autism. They found Beta-casomorphin-7 in high concentrations in the blood and urine of patients with either schizophrenia or autism.

(AUTISM, 1999, 3)

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Animal proteins contain greater amounts of methionine than
do plant proteins. Milk is liquid meat, and dairy products
contain high levels of methionine, which has sulfur as its
center atom. The sulfur converts to sulfates and causes an
acid condition in the blood that results in cellular
destruction.

Here are some values of methionine for 100 gram portions of
various foods. You will find that a result of consuming
dairy products and/or eating meat creates a methionine-rich
and subsequent homocysteine-rich environment of Alzheimer-
causing substances in human blood serum.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
"A drop of sour milk may contain more than 50 million bacteria...certain bacteria, especially organisms belonging to the genera bacillus and clostridium, have the ability to transform themselves into small bodies called spores. The word spore comes from the Greek word for seed. The spore can often withstand drying, the temperature of boiling water (pasteurization), and the action of some germicides. When suitable conditions return, the spore resumes its vegetative form and the bacterium again returns to the usual activities of its normal life cycle."

Modern Dairy Products, Third Edition Lincoln Lampert

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
"Milk from cows inoculated with listeria was pooled for 2 to 4 days and then heated at 162 degrees Fahrenheit for 16 seconds in a high-temperature, short-time pasteurization unit. Live listeria bacteria was then successfully isolated from the milk after heat treatment in 11 of 12 pasteurization trials."

Journal of Environmental Microbiology. July 1987 (53)

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
"Listeria organisms excreted in cow's milk escaped pasteurization, grew well at refrigerator temperatures, and were ingested by consumers."

New England Journal of Medicine, 1985, 312 (7)

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
"There can be Chernobyl-like accidents. One of these occurred in the Chicago area in April, 1985. At a modern, large milk processing plant an accidental 'cross connection' between raw and pasteurized milk occurred. A violent salmonella outbreak followed, killing 4 and making an estimated 150,000 ill."

Robert Kradjian, M.D. The Milk Letter, August, 1994

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
"The administration of subtherapeutic doses of antibiotics to livestock introduces selective pressures that may lead to the emergence and dissemination of resistant bacteria. The present findings clearly demonstrate that antibiotic-resistant bacteria in beef and milk pose a serious problem."
J Food Prot, 1999 Jun, 62:6

"In 1992, 19,000 deaths were attributed to infections caused by antibiotic- resistant organisms. They played a partial role in another 58,000 deaths that same year."

Your Health, June 1994

ShiftyCapone

ShiftyCapone

Awards
  • Established
Damn, futurepilot makes me not want to ever eat anything ever again. **** it, i'm moving to Somolia.... A cup of "organic" rice a week should keep me healthy

BLANCO7

BLANCO7

Awards
moo cow fcuk milk worsens my acne. i drink soy milk. better for my milk anyway.

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
stay away from both altogher..go with Almond or Rice milk...

whiteonblackL

whiteonblackL

Awards
ive never tried anything but real milk.. lol

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
rice milk cost almost $6 for a half gal at walmart. i make my own

ILiftBig

Awards
What's your poison? Moo Milk? or Soy?
Soy is pretty high in estrogen. There are also some studines that show high fat milks are pretty high in estrogen too. The less fat in milk the lower the estrogen content.

purebred

dairy aggravates my acne and sinuses. itchy, watery eyes, runny nose...i get the works if i decide to splurge on some ben n jerry's. i also noticed i get an upset stomach and get headaches after consuming dairy milk, in particular :damnit:

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
no problem with cow milk here. love it.