NOOP to replace wifes Prozac

OHBRUTUSIO

Awards
Hey all. New to the noop thing and was looking for something to replace my wifes prozac with. She is tired of the side effects and is looking elsewhere. Thanks for any and all input!!!!

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey all. New to the noop thing and was looking for something to replace my wifes prozac with. She is tired of the side effects and is looking elsewhere. Thanks for any and all input!!!!
Noop?

Alternatives that come to mind:
St John's Wort has been used for depression. It's basically a SSRI.
Mix of herbs like ashwaghanda, rhodiola rosea, panax ginseng.
Gaba.
Curcumin has some research behind it. I believe 1 even compared it with prozac and it did well.

What might be worth researching but I don't have much knowledge of their use for depression:
L tryptophan or 5-htp.
L tyrosine.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
We are assuming she is working with her physician to wean from the drug... and discussing alternstive anti depressants as well.

pbandy1

Awards
Noop?

Alternatives that come to mind:
St John's Wort has been used for depression. It's basically a SSRI.
Mix of herbs like ashwaghanda, rhodiola rosea, panax ginseng.
Gaba.
Curcumin has some research behind it. I believe 1 even compared it with prozac and it did well.

What might be worth researching but I don't have much knowledge of their use for depression:
L tryptophan or 5-htp.
L tyrosine.
for atypical depression curcumin may help but for other types of depression (i.e. MDD) curcumin is likely to be of no benefit (according to a few recent studies).

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
for atypical depression curcumin may help but for other types of depression (i.e. MDD) curcumin is likely to be of no benefit (according to a few recent studies).
True. But then I'm a bit sceptical of how depression can be neatly categorized and of how well it can be diagnosed.

IMO curcumin and ashwaghanda are 2 supplements I really like. Wide range of benefits and usually no side effect (meaning very few have sides and then usually mild).

pbandy1

Awards
True. But then I'm a bit sceptical of how depression can be neatly categorized and of how well it can be diagnosed.

IMO curcumin and ashwaghanda are 2 supplements I really like. Wide range of benefits and usually no side effect (meaning very few have sides and then usually mild).
Can't say I notice anything from curcumin (have tried a few formulations), going to try ksm-66 soon

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sam-e is what my wife's internalist recommended and it has helped a lot.

DCx

Awards
Be careful wit ashwagandha, idk wtf it was. That stuff made me emotionally unstable and super depressed, I tried it several times in 2016, several bottles, and the same effect each and every time.

pbandy1

Awards
Be careful wit ashwagandha, idk wtf it was. That stuff made me emotionally unstable and super depressed, I tried it several times in 2016, several bottles, and the same effect each and every time.
Same here. Apparently ashwagandha has some affinity for the GABAB receptor. Interestingly, GABAB antagonists have been looked into recently as antidepressants so GABAB agonism could theoretically cause some depression

chemiuser

Awards
A good kanna extract is better than Prozac, Phenylethylamine or an analog gives a unique mood boost, SAM-e helped my gf at 1,600 mg daily, DHF seems pretty good too.

Jay.99

Awards
If you're want to replace prozac, tell her to eat 10bananas minimum every day. I prefer making a smoothie out if them because it's easier to eat that many. The more, the better. Like your typical SSRI (prozac), it takes at least 4 weeks for it to start working. You will notice the same time it will take to feel the effects of the bananas. Prozac is a serotonin reuptake inhbitor ......bananas increase tyrosine and tryptophan, which turn into dopamine and serotonin (eat a handful of nuts along with bananas for better tryptophan absorption). You will be surprised with the outcome, if you take other things into account like regular exercise (actual "I'm going to throw up' exercise). In terms of noops....you can try phenylpiracetam

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If that is the case, why would you not just take l-tryptophan and l-tyrosine or dlpa? I mean, 10 bananas a day?

NeuroTropic

NeuroTropic

Banned
Awards
Zembrin is a natural and clinically proven SSRI with additional mood boosting mode of actions.

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Inositol..have to dose it heavy has same effect as prozac

MedRat

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Can't say I notice anything from curcumin (have tried a few formulations), going to try ksm-66 soon
Curcumin by itself has low bioavailability. Optimally, you want curcumin with pipperine. Also known as long pepper. This makes a remarkable difference.

MedRat

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Ashwaganda lowers cortisol. One of the functions of the adrenal glands is the excretion of cortisol. Too much is bad for you but, so is too little. If you are taking Ashwaganda and feel tired the next day, then you need to reduce your dosages.

MedRat

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Same here. Apparently ashwagandha has some affinity for the GABAB receptor. Interestingly, GABAB antagonists have been looked into recently as antidepressants so GABAB agonism could theoretically cause some depression
The problem with GABA stems from the reduction of epinephrine and dopamine. As a supplement. Studies I have read concluded that GABA precursors are more effective. The reason being is GABA supplementation showed lower bioavailability than the precursors.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
Very good advice here. Whatever she does do, it is very important her doctor knows she wants to get off and try to cope naturally..

Antidepressants are like a bandaid to a wound, not meant to be taken indefinitely.

Make sure her doctor knows this and that she properly tapers off. Prozac was the first SSRI I took, about 7-8 years ago. I've been on a couple different since, and still am on. I have myself on an extremely low dose though.

Antidepressants are weird. You don't get sad on them, but you also don't get happy/excited. Your like a zombie. It's a nightmare. These pills shouldn't be taken unless you absolutely have to.

MedRat

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Very good advice here. Whatever she does do, it is very important her doctor knows she wants to get off and try to cope naturally..

Antidepressants are like a bandaid to a wound, not meant to be taken indefinitely.

Make sure her doctor knows this and that she properly tapers off. Prozac was the first SSRI I took, about 7-8 years ago. I've been on a couple different since, and still am on. I have myself on an extremely low dose though.

Antidepressants are weird. You don't get sad on them, but you also don't get happy/excited. Your like a zombie. It's a nightmare. These pills shouldn't be taken unless you absolutely have to.
There are way too many companies focused on serotonin reuptake inhibitors. It seems like we get a new one every week. Depression has or can have multiple contributing factors. It can be situational such as postpartum or Seasonal Effective Disorder. It can be underproduction of key neurotransmitters. It can be another break somewhere in the chain of reuptake such as a problem at the synaptic cleft. You can have brain regions that are underdeveloped, too thin, or damaged by Traumatic Brain Injury. 60 percent of people with chronic pain suffer from depression. It could be, once again, too much systemic inflammation.

We, by we Im referring to myself and other medical professionals, are investigating microdoses of ketamine and psilocybin for the treatment of depression.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
There are way too many companies focused on serotonin reuptake inhibitors. It seems like we get a new one every week. Depression has or can have multiple contributing factors. It can be situational such as postpartum or Seasonal Effective Disorder. It can be underproduction of key neurotransmitters. It can be another break somewhere in the chain of reuptake such as a problem at the synaptic cleft. You can have brain regions that are underdeveloped, too thin, or damaged by Traumatic Brain Injury. 60 percent of people with chronic pain suffer from depression. It could be, once again, too much systemic inflammation.

We, by we Im referring to myself and other medical professionals, are investigating microdoses of ketamine and psilocybin for the treatment of depression.
I'm GLAD someone finally put this out there!!! I was going to say it but didn't want the flak.

Yes mushrooms low dose may alleviate symptoms of depression. My friend kept telling me over and over to try it. I told him he was fukkin crazy to recommend SHROOMS for depression.

He explained about how you need to micro dose it. So, I got some and tried it. I ate one little cap, and went out for the day. I was calmer, happier.I was NOT high. Because anyone who knows about a shroom trip knows it's not a walk in the park lol.

But micro dosing... I can't wait to read the studies about it! My depression is from a chemical imbalance(not enough serotonin, or so the doctors say) BTW.

MedRat

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I'm GLAD someone finally put this out there!!! I was going to say it but didn't want the flak.

Yes mushrooms low dose may alleviate symptoms of depression. My friend kept telling me over and over to try it. I told him he was fukkin crazy to recommend SHROOMS for depression.

He explained about how you need to micro dose it. So, I got some and tried it. I ate one little cap, and went out for the day. I was calmer, happier.I was NOT high. Because anyone who knows about a shroom trip knows it's not a walk in the park lol.

But micro dosing... I can't wait to read the studies about it! My depression is from a chemical imbalance BTW.
Research indicates psilocybin is effective and appears fairly safe at about 20mg. When you reach 30mg you reach the bad trip amount.

The research is out there if you know where to look. My education is fairly advanced and this information is difficult for me to understand at times. I do my best to explain something to the point where the most people will get it.