Best nootropic for emotional stress

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
Feeling intense emotional stress. Its like a weird mix between anxiety and depression.

Any noots that would help with this?

allprsnl

allprsnl

Awards
Interested in any answers from experience as well.

falzaabi

falzaabi

Awards
phenibut , but please watch out its very addictive ,use no more than 2 time a week

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So far, ashwagandha and lithium orotate are the only supplements that I've found in which each alone have helped me with both anxiety and depression (mild case for both). Interested in hearing other options though...

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I will second Ashwagandha. Like most people on this board, I have a lot going on and was starting to have some anxiety issues, lack of motivation and energy, etc. - Ashwagandha impressed me. It's very mild and subtle, but it's effective IMO.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bacopa would be another you can look into for this purpose. But, as mentioned, ashwagandha would be one of my first go to supps with rhodiola.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've also been reading lately that fish oil high in EPA (60% or greater) is beneficial for mood disorders like anxiety and depression.

Here's a meta-analysis looking at depression - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21939614

Dose recommendations tend to be around 1g of "unopposed" EPA per day.

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
Going to try ashwanga I think. Thanks guys

allprsnl

allprsnl

Awards
Idk about the ashawagandha, seems to herbal/natural remedy-ish. Does it really have much of an effect? Those herbal things tend to never do jack sqwat.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
While I understand that phenibut has a history of fast tolerance and bad withdrawal, has anyone tried using it consistently at very low doses (250-500 mg/day)? A lot of the horror stories I've ready online are based on people using large doses (2+ grams) too often. It seems like it would be perfect for anxiety and depression due to its effects on gaba and dopamine. However, I've always worried about trying it due to the aforementioned issues.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Idk about the ashawagandha, seems to herbal/natural remedy-ish. Does it really have much of an effect? Those herbal things tend to never do jack sqwat.
You need to read up before commenting like that. There are numerous threads and studies out there.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If they "tend to never do jack sqwat," that means that they tend to do something, no?

Ashwagandha is VERY WELL researched; many "herbal things" have numerous studies showing beneficial effects (ashwagandha, bacopa, rhodiola, etc).

What leads you to believe than anything natural doesn't work?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'd like to make fun of you for this statement, but I also feel the same way on a couple of different levels.

1. I feel most supplements are over-hyped and under-deliver.
2. In the past I felt that herbal ingredients were kind of snake-oil-ish.

Having said that, I was impressed with Ashwagandha. I feel it has more of an effect than Piracetam, Aniracetam, Noopept, Huperzine A, etc. And that is saying something, since it isn't really for the same thing as those ingredients. Rhodiola and Bacopa as Kisaj mentioned are also effective.

If you're expecting drug-like effects you will be disappointed. Kind of like taking ARA, ABE or Follidrone and expecting steroid-like results.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Going to try ashwanga I think. Thanks guys
I should mention - for me it took a couple weeks to really work itself out. When I started taking it, it would put me to sleep. Now I take it during the day and I wouldn't say it is stimulatory, but it's definitely not sedative and it's balancing if that makes any sense. It seems the longer I take it, the more resistant to stress I become - both physically and mentally.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is a difference. Do you see it?
I think there's a difference. I'd say that my mood is better, as opposed to blunted, using certain nootropics/adaptogens that reduce stress and anxiety. Helping manage stress and anxiety is MUCH different than trying to completely blunt all emotions.

allprsnl

allprsnl

Awards
If they "tend to never do jack sqwat," that means that they tend to do something, no?

Ashwagandha is VERY WELL researched; many "herbal things" have numerous studies showing beneficial effects (ashwagandha, bacopa, rhodiola, etc).

What leads you to believe than anything natural doesn't work?
Many things are highly researched, I won't argue against that, but many of these herbal fixes usually have at best inconclusive results. Now my original statement wasn't to say it doesn't work, I said, "I don't know about it" so why the A-holeishness guys? I was hoping more would simply chime in to share their experiences with it, not pick a fight. Seems that's what a few of you guys on here are all about though. Now by all means, share positive, or negative experiences with ashawagandha, but don't belittle a fairly new poster on AM for asking about something of which I'm uncertain and know little about.

allprsnl

allprsnl

Awards
You need to read up before commenting like that. There are numerous threads and studies out there.
I don't want to do all the research on it, that's why I came to anabolic minds and asked if anyone had experience proving its worth or not. I want to join what is supposed to be a community of fellow lifters helping each other, instead you tell me to leave AM and go find my answers elsewhere. Great advice to keep the boards here alive bro...

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We don't spoon feed around here. If you aren't going to take the time to read up and search all the posts we've covered on the topic, why should we take our time to reexplain?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't want to do all the research on it, that's why I came to anabolic minds and asked if anyone had experience proving its worth or not. I want to join what is supposed to be a community of fellow lifters helping each other, instead you tell me to leave AM and go find my answers elsewhere. Great advice to keep the boards here alive bro...
There's a thread here in the Nootropics section where I reference/quote at least a few dozen studies on various nootropics and adaptpgens, many of which are herbal supplements; there are a handful on ashwagandha alone in there, including the dose and duration, the subject population, and the effects observed, as well to links to the studies.

But yeah, all I do is pick fights.

Again, there are many herbal supplements that have solid and pretty conclusive research on them, and ashwagandha is one such herb. Just don't be so quick to dismiss a whole class of supplement if you don't know; sweeping blanket statements are usually wrong.

allprsnl

allprsnl

Awards
Because this thread was a new one asking for suggestions on subjective experiences on various anxiety/depression mitigators. Of course I'll read old threads, and have, but if I'm going to participate or chime in explaining my apprehension yet admitting little knowledge, I'm going to do so on a newer thread and not bump one that's 4 years old

allprsnl

allprsnl

Awards
There's a thread here in the Nootropics section where I reference/quote at least a few dozen studies on various nootropics and adaptpgens, many of which are herbal supplements; there are a handful on ashwagandha alone in there, including the dose and duration, the subject population, and the effects observed, as well to links to the studies.

But yeah, all I do is pick fights.

Again, there are many herbal supplements that have solid and pretty conclusive research on them, and ashwagandha is one such herb. Just don't be so quick to dismiss a whole class of supplement if you don't know; sweeping blanket statements are usually wrong.
Again, I didn't care about the research, I asked for members that have personal experience using it. There's research that says lots of things that real life experience negates or disproves, so I would rather hear experiences, not go looking for old uni studies/research on the topic.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Because this thread was a new one asking for suggestions on subjective experiences on various anxiety/depression mitigators. Of course I'll read old threads, and have, but if I'm going to participate or chime in explaining my apprehension yet admitting little knowledge, I'm going to do so on a newer thread and not bump one that's 4 years old
Go read the thread in the nootropics section "Research on various nootropics." It's a new thread, and there are posts in it from yesterday, not 4 years ago.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Again, I didn't care about the research, I asked for members that have personal experience using it. There's research that says lots of things that real life experience negates or disproves, so I would rather hear experiences, not go looking for old uni studies/research on the topic.
Oh, in that case, I think it helps with stress and anxiety, but I hardly think an anecdotal report is anywhere near as valuable as numerous double blind studies (that basically all arrive at the same conclusion; it works), but to each their own.

Edit: go with a standardized extract (withanolides) for ashwagandha.

allprsnl

allprsnl

Awards
We don't spoon feed around here. If you aren't going to take the time to read up and search all the posts we've covered on the topic, why should we take our time to reexplain?
Nobody said you had to explain anything to me. I want to hear experience with its use if you have any. If you don't, or you don't want to take time to "re-explain" something to me, then pass up my comments. Ignore them. Now i would like to share my knowledge on topics that I have experience with when someone brings it up or has a question I can answer, but I would also like to be able to ask questions without being attacked. Peace brother, enjoy your night.

allprsnl

allprsnl

Awards
Oh, in that case, I think it helps with stress and anxiety, but I hardly think an anecdotal report is anywhere near as valuable as numerous double blind studies (that basically all arrive at the same conclusion; it works), but to each their own.

Edit: go with a standardized extract (withanolides) for ashwagandha.
You've used it personally I'm guessing? That's what I like. Anecdotal reports, real life experiences, whatever you call it, I find it can often be more valuable. Some research still says Deca can't aid in muscular hypertrophy and you can only absorb so much protein per meal, but real life within the bodybuilding/sports performance community easily disputes that research. So ashawagandha did help alleviate low grade anxiety and/or depression for you?

allprsnl

allprsnl

Awards
Standardized extract, got it. See? I would not have gotten that from research unless I spent hours pouring over documents. Thank you. Any specific brand you favor? Or just any that contains the standardized extract? And how about dosing, do you remember what protocol you used? I can always just follow label instructions.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You've used it personally I'm guessing? That's what I like. Anecdotal reports, real life experiences, whatever you call it, I find it can often be more valuable. Some research still says Deca can't aid in muscular hypertrophy and you can only absorb so much protein per meal, but real life within the bodybuilding/sports performance community easily disputes that research. So ashawagandha did help alleviate low grade anxiety and/or depression for you?
I'm not talking about one or two studies, often observational and/or with laughable methodology and/or conclusions, I'm talking about a concensus from numerous double-blind placebo-controlled studies.

But yeah, ashwagandha is a daily staple for me. It really helps me manage stress and anxiety from classes (engineering major) and general life. There's also a few studies showing athletic benefits as well. I take 500mg of a 2.5% withanolide extract 1-2x daily.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Standardized extract, got it. See? I would not have gotten that from research unless I spent hours pouring over documents. Thank you. Any specific brand you favor? Or just any that contains the standardized extract? And how about dosing, do you remember what protocol you used? I can always just follow label instructions.
Dude, go read my Nootrpic research thread. I have access to the full text of studies from my university, and I list the type of extract, and dose, used in each study when the study mentions it.

allprsnl

allprsnl

Awards
I'll check it out, hopefully I can figure out the search function on here. And I feel you on the anxiety from classes, I've been Studying biochemistry and have a couple years left for a phd or masters, haven't decided which way to go yet

warrior737

Awards
Aniractam is good for stress and anxiety relief . Not sure if that was mentioned above.

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
250-300mg with breakfast and another 250-300mg with dinner.
Took 250 mg before I went to bed last night. Woke up this morning and felt extremely aggressive but also wide awake. Not sure if this stuff is good for me or not

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Took 250 mg before I went to bed last night. Woke up this morning and felt extremely aggressive but also wide awake. Not sure if this stuff is good for me or not
It's fine to take it pre-bed in fact many prefer it .

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like it in waking hours because I feel the effects in 45-60 min. Play with the dosing because its wonderful stuff and may just need some tinkering.

Alex281

Alex281

Awards
  • Established
Ashwagandha
L-Dopa
Picamilon
L-Tryptophan
Phenibut