What do you guys think of these gyms?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I've been searching around for MMA gyms in my area. There are tons of "Martial Arts Centers" that seem to focus on Karate, etc. Not quite what I'm looking for. These are the three I'm most interested in now:

http://www.bostonmuaythai.com/2bmta-home.htm
This place appears to be strictly Muay Thai, which I would love to learn, but I also want to get some grappling in. It is only 10 min from my apt, which will be key once school starts again. I can check with these guys to see if they know anyone for BJJ. Actually, there are tons of Brazilians in my city, so I should just pop into a Brazilian store and ask if they know of anywhere training BJJ in the area.

http://www.teamramos.com/
This place is pretty far from my house, a 30-45 min drive. I don't have enough time as is :frustrate:

http://www.sssfighting.com/phpwebsite/index.php
This one is not quite as far as Dragon's Lair, but it is far enough.

Does anyone think that a Muay Thai base would be good for the first year. Once school starts I'll probably only be able to get in there 2-3 times per week.

I'm also curious about the degree to whcih this will interfere with weightlifting. I'm currently doing DC-style training. I suppose I could just up the cals and see how I feel.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Beowulf, just out of curiousity, where do you live? I'm out near Worcester, you must either be near me or to the east...

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I'm east. Very close to Dorchester. To get to that gym in Framingham I'd have to take the Pike west.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I just found another one that looks like it is probably the best: BRAZILIAN MARTIAL ARTS CENTER

I'd get BJJ and Muay Thai at the same place, and it is probably 20-30min away.

It seems like a legit place. They have pics of their instructors training at Chutebox Academy and with Helios Gracie. I think I saw Shogun in the Chute pic. He is a Chutebox fighter, right?

Mason

Awards
Well not many people are chiming in and I haven't for a while. If I were you I would most deffinately pick BRAZILIAN MARTIAL ARTS CENTER. They offer both classes so you don't need to study at different academys to take both. The teacher also seems well rounded I think you'd learn the most there.

BRAZILIAN MARTIAL ARTS CENTER is alot like mine. I take brazillian jiu jitsu on Tuesdays and Thursdays and muay thai on Saturdays.

size

Awards
  • Established
My advice is to pick the ones that you feel you will be able to go to consistently. Then go to each one and ask if you could watch and train for a few days. After that, you should be able to get a feel for what school you think will be best for you. For instacne, some schools may have training that is too heavy or light for your taste, so you need to find the one that will be the best fit for you.

Additionally, I think it is good to learn about the instructors. Learn about the background and who they trained under. This can help give you some insight into their training philosophy.

Vale tudo training is LOTS of fun, hard work, and painful. :)

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
My advice is to pick the ones that you feel you will be able to go to consistently. Then go to each one and ask if you could watch and train for a few days. After that, you should be able to get a feel for what school you think will be best for you. For instacne, some schools may have training that is too heavy or light for your taste, so you need to find the one that will be the best fit for you.

Additionally, I think it is good to learn about the instructors. Learn about the background and who they trained under. This can help give you some insight into their training philosophy.

Vale tudo training is LOTS of fun, hard work, and painful. :)
Thanks for the input, guys. Would you mind posting your MMA training and weight training frequency, just so I can get a sense of how you balance the two.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just found another one that looks like it is probably the best: BRAZILIAN MARTIAL ARTS CENTER

I'd get BJJ and Muay Thai at the same place, and it is probably 20-30min away.

It seems like a legit place. They have pics of their instructors training at Chutebox Academy and with Helios Gracie. I think I saw Shogun in the Chute pic. He is a Chutebox fighter, right?

it's Legit. btw i'm an MMA fighter been doing it for quite a while have fought in CA and Hawaii and have trained with some of the best in the world. Gracie's, Fairtex etc. The gym you choose is very important i've been a famous gym where I didn't get as much out of the smaller gym I am training at now. You need to know your goals and see if the gym training is compatible with your specific goals

OH btw as far as weight training I can't do muay thai on Chest shoulders or legs day it just doesn't work with all the punching kicking and pushups.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
it's Legit. btw i'm an MMA fighter been doing it for quite a while have fought in CA and Hawaii and have trained with some of the best in the world. Gracie's, Fairtex etc. The gym you choose is very important i've been a famous gym where I didn't get as much out of the smaller gym I am training at now. You need to know your goals and see if the gym training is compatible with your specific goals

OH btw as far as weight training I can't do muay thai on Chest shoulders or legs day it just doesn't work with all the punching kicking and pushups.
What do you reccommend avoiding on BJJ days?

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What do you reccommend avoiding on BJJ days?
I can pretty much do what I want on BJJ days as alot of it is technique technique technique leverage correct placement of arms and legs etc. you can roll slow and practice with out exhausting the muscle so much where as in Muay Thai you got to hit the pads and keeping your arms up punching or kicking hundreds of times is just going to work the muscle no matter if you go slow.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Try this school Beo.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hnClhhNk4I"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I'm all over it :toofunny:

So people actually pay this guy to beat the piss out of them :think: One guy actually looked like he had blood on his shirt :wtr:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I guess inspirational slogans weren't motivating enough.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
I would just workout at a few of them and find out which schools you like the most. I go to 2 different gyms luckily though they're both really cheap compared to everywhere else. The muay thai place I had to wait 6 months before he let me in.
My week looks like this:
mon-ju jitsu
tues- muay thai
wed- muay thai
thur- ju jitsu
sat- ju jitsu
sun-muay thai and weights

Sadly I only have time for weights one maybe 2 days per week. I also run a couple times a week and bike to work somedays.

Do you want to compete? My first mma fight will be in a month.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Do you want to compete? My first mma fight will be in a month.
I haven't started yet, so I can't say about competing, but I sorta doubt it. We'll have to wait and see. I won't have much time to train, and I am a h.s. teacher. Wouldn't look good if I came in all busted up. Maybe I could do it during a summer vacation, but I have to find out if I am half decent first. One of my friends might join with me. He goes to some local MMA fights, so I'm probably gonna check one out soon. That way I'll have some sense of what I'd be up against.

Good luck in your first fight. I admire anyone who is willing to step in the ring/cage. Any chance you'll post up a vid on Youtube or something?

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
I doubt I'll post any vids up.

I think you should do straight jujitsu for now. Youll learn how to strike and fight on the ground. After about 5-6 months of that if you go to some am fights youll realize how bad everyone is and want to step in the ring/cage.
Most of the fights in my area are dominated by ex jock wrestlers that take people to the ground and ground and pound them. It's not like the ufc at all.

B4n3 0n3

Most of the fights in my area are dominated by ex jock wrestlers that take people to the ground and ground and pound them. It's not like the ufc at all.
Yea baby wrestling FTW! Back in my wrestling days my buddy from the team took me to some muy tai gym where he worked out at and showed me some of those shin kicks. Wrestling is neccisary to learn balance and moves from then you just need to add in a good striking art and your all set IMO.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
I am a h.s. teacher. Wouldn't look good if I came in all busted up.

Hey Beo, two words.... Rich Franklin.

Like you said, there's always summer.

And hey.... Even if you're not gonna compete, Just find the "time" to learn. Get adjusted and comfortable with what you know. Keep an open mind when it comes to learning new things. What you'll end up with in the end is a better interpretation of yourself.