What is the Training Like for the Lat Few Weeks Before a Fight?

drvinnybombat

Awards
I've never trained for a single event before, and now I'm training for an endurance competition that resembles a fight somewhat. My training probably resembles a lot of fighters as well; CrossFit and basketball. I would appreciate if I can get an idea what a fighter does for the last month or so of training.

E.g. Do they stop power training? Do they do anything the day before or day of a fight?

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
I've never trained for a single event before, and now I'm training for an endurance competition that resembles a fight somewhat. My training probably resembles a lot of fighters as well; CrossFit and basketball. I would appreciate if I can get an idea what a fighter does for the last month or so of training.

E.g. Do they stop power training? Do they do anything the day before or day of a fight?
Everyone is different and it all depends on how the body is holding up. Usually about 5-6 weeks before a fight training intensifies dramatically. We strive to push the limits in every workout, circuit, training exercise that we do. We want total exhaustion and then force ourselves to go beyond. The closer to the fight the more intense the workouts get. Up until about a week and a half for me.....Then things slow down some, we concentrate on technique, our specific gameplan, and run things over and over and over again. I do not lift after sunday, when saturday is my fight. Usually after wednesday I do nothing but gameplan; no cardio or anything. I allow my body and mind to relax as much as possible.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You usually deload 2 weeks prior to the event and focus on technique. The final week is all about cutting weight.

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
our gym we always beat the **** out of eachother till week of fight...guess that's why we have a reputation hahahaha........of course some have been hurt right before a fight that way too...but we are some tough sob's because of it lol

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unfortunately, that has some major downfalls. Exhibit A: Pedro Rizzo.

mmacrazy

mmacrazy

Awards
  • Established
I usually ramp my training up dramatically. Add in some intense morning fasted cardio. Then at night I'll do a regular workout, after class I'll do shark tank style grappling. If I haven't puked by that time then I'll try and work in on situationals. I try and go against the guys that are much higher skill level then I am, as well as some bigger guys. The week before I try and just take things easy.

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately, that has some major downfalls. Exhibit A: Pedro Rizzo.
yea it's a true story, risky practice, but also can give good results......oh well to each their own! I've got a fight in 2 weeks......can't even spar b/c waiting for my broken nose to heal up hahahahahaha