Fat people like sweet and salty more than skinny ones - help skinny guys eat more!

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
Cool article on how people who are obese (morbid or otherwise) seem to have a more taste sensitivity for sweet and salty foods. It seems logical then that we should avoid these triggers if we are trying to reduce appetite.

Most people on here want to eat more, which means it's probably best to add in a sugary drink with their meals and also keep a side of heavily salted carbohydrates like potato chips.

Best would be sweet potato with LOTS of red palm oil and salt. Should be the perfect side dish for skinny guys or people looking to increase caloric intake!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17852551

Int J Pediatr Obes. 2007;2(4):242-8.
Taste perception in massively obese and in non-obese adolescents.

Pasquet P1, Frelut ML, Simmen B, Hladik CM, Monneuse MO.
Author information
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
The purpose is to determine whether taste functions are different in massively obese adolescents as compared with non-obese adolescents, and to what extent metabolic disorders may interfere with taste perception, as suggested by the results of recent animal studies.
RESEARCH METHOD AND PROCEDURES:
We compared taste sensitivity and hedonic responses of 39 adolescents with severe early onset obesity (mean BMI: 39.5; min-max: 30.9-51.6) and 48 non-obese adolescents (mean BMI: 21.0; min-max: 16.5-27.9) of both sexes. We measured recognition thresholds for fructose, sucrose, citric acid and sodium chloride. Supra-threshold perceived intensity and hedonic responses were assessed for solutions of sucrose and sodium chloride. In obese subjects, the occurrence of the metabolic syndrome was assessed by measuring blood pressure and, in blood samples, fasting glycemia and insulinemia, the concentration of triglycerides and HDL cholesterol. HOMA modelling was used to assess insulin resistance.
RESULTS:
Massively obese adolescents present a higher sensitivity to sucrose and sodium chloride than non-obese adolescents, with significantly lower recognition thresholds, and higher perceived intensities at supra-threshold levels for sucrose and salt. Hedonic responses are significantly lower for sodium chloride in the obese subjects. Among obese subjects, a significant positive correlation between taste responsiveness and the number of obesity-related metabolic disturbances is observed only in girls.
CONCLUSION:
Massively obese subjects have higher taste sensitivity than control subjects, especially for sucrose and salt. This can be explained, to some extent, by the influence of obesity-related metabolic disorders, which appears to be gender-specific.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not surprised. Seems like the more sugar you eat the more you crave. I've lifted on and off for years. On off times I ate like **** and it seemed the more junk I ate the more I craved it. Once diet cleaned up it seems cravings go away. Really though it comes down to will power. Slipping up here and there is not a big deal. People that are obese though just gave up. Same with alcohol. I drank everyday for a year and then. Said enough is enough. Craved it for a week or two then it faded. I can have a drink with dinner when I'm out no problem but I don't keep it in the house.

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
Not surprised. Seems like the more sugar you eat the more you crave. I've lifted on and off for years. On off times I ate like **** and it seemed the more junk I ate the more I craved it. Once diet cleaned up it seems cravings go away. Really though it comes down to will power. Slipping up here and there is not a big deal. People that are obese though just gave up. Same with alcohol. I drank everyday for a year and then. Said enough is enough. Craved it for a week or two then it faded. I can have a drink with dinner when I'm out no problem but I don't keep it in the house.
Absolutely. I ate a box of cookies yesterday and 2 candy bars. The more I ate the more I wanted to eat. Today I am clean again and I am back on track. I don't even feel like eating. I had to force feed myself my cottage cheese, meat sauce and mozzarella. My days of eating for pleasure are over. Pleasure isn't in the program right now it's grind time.