Can someone explain to me this whole adrenal thing and what the numbers mean?

anyman

Awards
  • Established
Hello all-

I've been reading and researching low T and the like for months now and am finally getting a handle on what is involved--at least to some minor extent.

What I am having trouble with, however, is the adrenal issue and how it effects and affects the rest of the body. I see that there are various items to measure like TSH, T3 and T4, but am having trouble making sense of what they mean when numbers are too low or too high. I'd also like to know what numbers are too low and too high.

I read various notes here and elsewhere, but still don't have a good enough handle on it to understand what to look for. If someone can point me where to go for a summary or synopsis I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks-

phatkid77

Awards
  • Established
TSH... you want lower than 2
free T3 and T4, i believe you want close to the top...

i too am curious about AF, but i doubt i have it, as i am not tired and such, BUT i do have a low DHEA, and i think i read that meant something....

phats

T800

T800

Awards
anyman: A simplistic view of adrenal fatigue is cortisol deficiency. We've kind of come to learn that cortisol is that evil stress hormone that creates belly fat and causes you to feel bad. IMO, that CAN be the case with excessive cortisol.

I saw Dr Mariano state awhile back that cortisol is the one hormone that your body will sacrifice everything to produce. You cannot live without it. Because your body attempts to protect cortisol and will sacrifice itself in ways it deems necessary, adrenal fatigue can mask itself as many different types of illnesses. Adrenals and thyroid are tightly linked (see below).

Some simple tests for adrenal fatigue include:

1. The flashlight test -- in a dark room, hold a flashlight into the corner of your eye while looking into a mirror. As a natural reaction, your pupil will constrict to limit the amount of light entering your eye. In people with suspected adrenal fatigue, the pupil will initially constrict, then open back up, then constrict. They adrenal insufficiency aka adrenal fatigue aka hypoadrenia results in insuffucient "power" to the eye to hold pupil in a steady constricted state. An indicator (for me) that adrenal fatigue is flaring up is that my eyes become very sensitive to light...particularly my LCD monitor at work. It is very bright compared to the surroundings.

2. The standing blood pressure test -- Take your blood pressure while lying down after having rested for 5 mins or so. Stand up and immediately take it again. Your blood pressure should rise or at least stay the same. If it does not, adrenal fatigue is suspected. "Failing" this test often coincides with dizziness when standing.

Here is a good article about adrenal fatigue (in women) but the principles are largely the same:

DHEA and adrenal fatigue

Tests that are used to commonly find adrenal fatigue include AM and PM blood cortisol tests and DHEA. I took an adrenal saliva test last year (DHEA 2x during the day and Cortisol 4x during the day) and totally bombed it. I was low at every reading. My symptoms weren't entirely conclusive, but the tests and the fact that I responded well to hydrocortisone was a strong indicator that it was present.

I saw from your tests that your Free T3 is borderline low and if the symptoms presented themselves (lack of energy, generalized hair loss, low body temp, etc), you would probably be put on Armour Thyroid. Cortisol is necessary to move thyroid hormone into your cells and in this way, thyroid medication puts more stress on the adrenals can worsen adrenal fatigue. You'll see it commonly stated that you must make sure your adrenals are robust before going on Armour Thyroid.

Sonny

anyman

Awards
  • Established
Very helpful, Sonny. Thanks. Gives me more to look at.

Gives me more to look into. I am constantly amazed at how many interrelated factors there are to consider.

Thanks again

anyman: A simplistic view of adrenal fatigue is cortisol deficiency. We've kind of come to learn that cortisol is that evil stress hormone that creates belly fat and causes you to feel bad. IMO, that CAN be the case with excessive cortisol.

I saw Dr Mariano state awhile back that cortisol is the one hormone that your body will sacrifice everything to produce. You cannot live without it. Because your body attempts to protect cortisol and will sacrifice itself in ways it deems necessary, adrenal fatigue can mask itself as many different types of illnesses. Adrenals and thyroid are tightly linked (see below).

Some simple tests for adrenal fatigue include:

1. The flashlight test -- in a dark room, hold a flashlight into the corner of your eye while looking into a mirror. As a natural reaction, your pupil will constrict to limit the amount of light entering your eye. In people with suspected adrenal fatigue, the pupil will initially constrict, then open back up, then constrict. They adrenal insufficiency aka adrenal fatigue aka hypoadrenia results in insuffucient "power" to the eye to hold pupil in a steady constricted state. An indicator (for me) that adrenal fatigue is flaring up is that my eyes become very sensitive to light...particularly my LCD monitor at work. It is very bright compared to the surroundings.

2. The standing blood pressure test -- Take your blood pressure while lying down after having rested for 5 mins or so. Stand up and immediately take it again. Your blood pressure should rise or at least stay the same. If it does not, adrenal fatigue is suspected. "Failing" this test often coincides with dizziness when standing.

Here is a good article about adrenal fatigue (in women) but the principles are largely the same:

DHEA and adrenal fatigue

Tests that are used to commonly find adrenal fatigue include AM and PM blood cortisol tests and DHEA. I took an adrenal saliva test last year (DHEA 2x during the day and Cortisol 4x during the day) and totally bombed it. I was low at every reading. My symptoms weren't entirely conclusive, but the tests and the fact that I responded well to hydrocortisone was a strong indicator that it was present.

I saw from your tests that your Free T3 is borderline low and if the symptoms presented themselves (lack of energy, generalized hair loss, low body temp, etc), you would probably be put on Armour Thyroid. Cortisol is necessary to move thyroid hormone into your cells and in this way, thyroid medication puts more stress on the adrenals can worsen adrenal fatigue. You'll see it commonly stated that you must make sure your adrenals are robust before going on Armour Thyroid.

Sonny