What causes high Cholesterol????

spinn

Awards
  • Established
I am sure most of the responses will say take red yeast rice...or fiber...or fish oil. I know all of that.

The thing that I am wondering is why does my body produce so much cholesterol? Lowering it is one thing, but my body wants to produce it as I take in very little.

In my opinion.....my body rejected statins because it is producing cholesterol for a reason. When I say rejected, I mean these statins caused my creatine kinase to skyrocket to four times the high of the range.

I am not as cocerned about high choleterol as I am about the reasons behind it....my body is trying to tell me something, what is it?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I am sure most of the responses will say take red yeast rice...or fiber...or fish oil. I know all of that.

The thing that I am wondering is why does my body produce so much cholesterol? Lowering it is one thing, but my body wants to produce it as I take in very little.

In my opinion.....my body rejected statins because it is producing cholesterol for a reason. When I say rejected, I mean these statins caused my creatine kinase to skyrocket to four times the high of the range.

I am not as cocerned about high choleterol as I am about the reasons behind it....my body is trying to tell me something, what is it?
Do not have any deep knowledge on this topic.

I do not think body is producing any more cholesterol than usual (in most of the cases).
The cholesterol is not being used for production of downstream hormones that is why it accumulates.

My private theory, wonder if any body will agree with it.

KSman

KSman

Awards
  • Established
Do not have any deep knowledge on this topic.

I do not think body is producing any more cholesterol than usual (in most of the cases).
The cholesterol is not being used for production of downstream hormones that is why it accumulates.

My private theory, wonder if any body will agree with it.
That is an interesting theory. But when many get on TRT their HDL remains mostly unchanged and LDL decreases very significantly. In that case, what low levels of T production exist are shutdown completely.

And some doc's treat high cholesterol (C) levels with pregnenolone, DHEA and T with good success. Some feel that the increased C levels are a response to low levels of steroid based hormones. LEF had some good case studies on that.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

do you have a history of bad lipids?? or family history??

spinn

Awards
  • Established
No....actually my father ate all of the wrong foods and had amazingly low cholesterol.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
No....actually my father ate all of the wrong foods and had amazingly low cholesterol.
I had a good friend, irish, catholic priest.
Very low cholesterol.
Eate tons of fatty food, alcohol.
Unhealty but easy going lifestyle.
Happy personality.
Had big problem with his colon + diverticulosis surgeries.
Died of bone cancer, early 50'sh yo.

Not sure if his was common case.

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That is an interesting theory. But when many get on TRT their HDL remains mostly unchanged and LDL decreases very significantly. In that case, what low levels of T production exist are shutdown completely.

And some doc's treat high cholesterol (C) levels with pregnenolone, DHEA and T with good success. Some feel that the increased C levels are a response to low levels of steroid based hormones. LEF had some good case studies on that.
This is one big part of it and I concur.

The amount of cholesterol you eat has little effect on body cholesterol.

Chuck Diesel

Chuck Diesel

Are you Diesel?
Awards
  • Established
most of the time its high saturated fat intake .

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
it's a little more complicated than that...then explain why using anabolics raise ldl so profoundly.....saturated fat does NOT cause this in this situation...

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
WRONG
Its transfats and inuslin, poor life style habits, sitting on our asses a computer all day long not moving around that raise blood cholesterol not saturated fats .. Cococnut oil lowers cholesterol

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its transfats and inuslin, poor life style habits, sitting on our asses a computer all day long not moving around that raise blood cholesterol not saturated fats .. Cococnut oil lowers cholesterol
Saturated fats within coconut oil are MCT's which, although they are fully protonated (aka saturated fats), they behave differently within the body than regular saturated fats due their small chains.

it's a little more complicated than that...then explain why using anabolics raise ldl so profoundly.....saturated fat does NOT cause this in this situation...
Anabolics raise LDL due to the negative feedback loops they create when the body stops producing it's own testosterone.

KSman

KSman

Awards
  • Established
iexplain why using anabolics raise ldl so profoundly
For my self and most others getting onto TRT, total cholesterol goes down a lot while HDL stays mostly unchanged. My TC went from 270 to 206, 202 last tests.

Heavy gear use can raise LDL, especially when cutting driving E to extreme low levels. (My TT is over 1000.) I think that many anabolic cycles are probably cholesterol friendly. There is a lot of lies out and about about gear and one is that it creates dangerous lipid profiles. Orals are hard on the liver and can effect lipids. Most knowledgeable gear-heads do not do much with orals as injectables are so much safer and effective compared to many of the orals. It is probably good that many of the promones were banned, as those were not liver friendly, and the low conversion rates then dictated high doses that the liver was then exposed to. Most of those required liver enzyme reactions to make the oral into an anabolic compound. I have done a lot of reading in the gear side... always something new to learn. Generally everything negative (mostly lies) that you hear about anabolic steroid use does not apply to knowledgeable use by adult males. You simply will not find dead or injured guys.

So your statement is not generally true. My TRT means that will not have to start on statin drugs, and the cost avoidance of statin drugs more than pays for my TRT supplies, but not the lab work and doctor's fees.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yea sin,and Ksman i'm well aware of feedback mechanism ... i just wanted to hear it from chuck after that post about saturated fat....;)

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cholesterol is quite a complex little guy, and there's WAAAY more than just one factor that's involved.

Over the years health experts have gone saying one thing, only to take back what they said a few years down the road, and replace it with a new statement, only to take back what they said a few years down the road........ it's quite cyclic. If anyone were to make a 'for sure' statement, they'd probably end up taking it back a few years down the road.

KSman

KSman

Awards
  • Established
Anabolics raise LDL due to the negative feedback loops they create when the body stops producing it's own testosterone.
Well, guys on TRT typically get lower LDL and they are shut down too. When I added HCG @ 250iu SQ EOD, my testes turned back on and the cholesterol levels did not change. Again, some doc's use testosterone as well as pregnenolone and DHEA to reduce LDL cholesterol.

The unqualified statement that "Anabolics raise LDL" is simply not true!

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I really don't know enough about cholesterol to debate anything,this info is rather stimulating though....i'm not really sure why trt came into this thread? This is about cholesterol not homone replacement...but good views are given either way...:thumbsup:

spinn

Awards
  • Established
My cholesterol, after being on TRT for 4 months now, is exactly what it was before going on TRT.

djremix

djremix

Awards
  • Established
normal cholesterol values vary from person to person. i personally dont beleive in a cut off point for the general population(especially 200 is just silly)

i read somewehre that if your cholesterol rises, sometimes the cause is due to a decrease in conversion enzymes, and the feedback loop for hormones just keeps pumping out more cholesterol for conversion.

anybody knows the source of the above? cant seem to remember...