Does appropriate TRT help bones?

mranak

Awards
I'll cut to the chase, so to speak.

My grandfather of 84 years fell last month on the ice while getting the mail. He has a small fracture in the hip ... an acetabular fracture I think. I haven't found the time to go to medical school, so I'm uncertain of the particulars of cause, prevention, healing, etc.

Anyway, assuming that my wonderful grandfather has low testosterone (I don't think this is much of a stretch :) ), I must wonder if appropriate TRT may be beneficial to either bone healing or bone strength to prevent future fractures.

I've advised him to just at least "get his testosterone levels checked in the past" which he did not do, but I more mentioned it than strongly advised. I'm trying to figure out if I should push a little harder now.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I'll cut to the chase, so to speak.

My grandfather of 84 years fell last month on the ice while getting the mail. He has a small fracture in the hip ... an acetabular fracture I think. I haven't found the time to go to medical school, so I'm uncertain of the particulars of cause, prevention, healing, etc.

Anyway, assuming that my wonderful grandfather has low testosterone (I don't think this is much of a stretch :) ), I must wonder if appropriate TRT may be beneficial to either bone healing or bone strength to prevent future fractures.

I've advised him to just at least "get his testosterone levels checked in the past" which he did not do, but I more mentioned it than strongly advised. I'm trying to figure out if I should push a little harder now.
I am 67yo, not a doctor.
Assuming that you can push him.
Find a doctor, ether sympathetic who will do what you tell him.
Or, usually osteopath who mat be somewhat familiar with what we do here.
You can travel (once) to Dr John, or get your doctor to consult with Dr John, our resident doctor here.
Get comprehensive blood test, I can post what I test at Quest Diagnostics.
You want to adjust everything that is adjustable.
If you grandfather have high very PSA get him to do prostate biopsy first.
If he have prostate cancer, I am not sure what to do, probably everything the same as without PC except everybody is hedging his bets because of lawyers.
Get tons of supplements from LEF.org, or at least 10 most recommended plus another 5 or more.
Read most of their "protocols".
I can post my list.
When adjusting do it in following order:
adrenals (including DHEA, usually tons of DHEA)
thyroid
sugar/glucose/insulin
Testosterone
E2 and other estrogens
DHT
HGH
-----
Test blood every 3 months or more often (much shorter list)
Eat good diet, emphasize protein, short on starches, potatoes similar.
Keep body fat low, but do not starve, eat well.
Exercise as much as possible.

MacDonnell

Awards
Interesting post. Apparently, HRT treatment does help somewhat, but probably not all that much to make a significant difference (at least in older men). (Read BigJim's article.) I have osteopenia and it's only gotten slightly better after 5 or so years of TRT. (My E2 is on the low side, however - The article cites low E2 as another possible cause of low bone mass density.)